+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree807Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    She may not be your typical 'celebrity', but she was famous . . . . and it was because of the good things she did.

Sally Ride, the first American woman to fly in space, dies at age 61, according to Sally Ride Science | abc13.com
    Oh, boy.

I remember when she went into space.

What a year this is for people leaving.

RIP, Sally.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I also remember Sally Ride's ride into space -- such an admirable woman.

Also gone today is famed writer, producer, director Frank Pierson. His writing credits include Dog Day Afternoon, Cool Hand Luke, Cat Ballou, and episodes of The Good Wife and Mad Men. His list of credits under each of them is amazing. He also served a stint as Academy president.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I LOVED Sally's name!!! Plus she had a great smile! I'd have been smiling all of the time with a name like that, too!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Couldn't find any site that CONFIRMS this, but there are several that are "reporting" it.

Sherman Hemsley Dead: 'The Jeffersons' Actor Dies At 74
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

There might be something to this story . . .

Sherman Hemsley Dead; The Jeffersons Star Dies at 74 : People.com

If this IS true, instead of just being another "report", I'm dumbstruck.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

TMZ is reporting his passing as well. Sherman Hemsley Dead -- Actor Who Played George Jefferson Dies at 74 | TMZ.com

The article says he died of natural causes, but also says that his nurse found him. That says to me that he was ill. Most healthy people - even in their 70's - don't have a nurse.

I was sad to hear the news and surprised that he was only 74. I guess I thought he was much older. I have fond memories of The Jeffersons. I loved that show when I was a kid. Sherman was one of the great comedic TV actors.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I seem to recall seeing Sherman Helmsley in the not too distant pass and thinking that he did not look at all well. have been on something like the tv land awards if I'm remembering correctly.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Couldn't find any site that CONFIRMS this, but there are several that are "reporting" it.

Sherman Hemsley Dead: 'The Jeffersons' Actor Dies At 74
    Sad to hear. I guess he's "Movin on Up".
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Yes, Critical, he was a heck of a comedic actor.

I mean, that banty rooster pose and strut that he'd put on as George? And the way he'd get into a verbal throwdown with Florence, especially, or whoever else was in his line of fire at a given time? Pure comic genius and timing.

I miss The Jeffersons, and I'll miss him, too.

RIP, Sherman.

What an iconic role - I loved the Jeffersons, especially George's "walk"/strut.

RIP Sherman.

+ Reply to Thread