+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 320 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree456Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

MRD

Re: Rest In Peace.

Well said Lisa Marie.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3267570;
    Well said Lisa Marie.
    The Travolta's have spent the last 10 plus years blaming Jett's medical problems on Kawasaki Syndrome.
    Kawasaki Syndrome does not cause seizures and is not a life long disease.
    IF left UNTREATED it can damage the coronary arteries. Usually all the heart problems go away in five or six weeks, and there's no lasting damage. Sometimes coronary artery damage persists and can be a problem later in life. But that has nothing to do with his having frequent seizures.

That organization that LM, the Travoltas and tom cruise belong to believes that you can over come Autism and other psychological illnesses by being strong and taking auditing classes.

Yes, they are entitled to mourn in private. But they need to be honest about a illness or be quiet.

MRD

Seems like they have been fairly quiet about it. It's been the rest of the world doing all the speculating and talking about it.

It is their business after all and seems like they have pretty much kept it their business.
    There is not even a real diagnosis of autism. I think a friend of the fami;y speculated about it.

We don't know what the kid had or didn't have.
    We don't know what kind of treatment he had or didn't have.
    We don't know exactly WHAT the parents did or didn't do and when it all boils down to it, it's really their private business.

It's sad and must be doubly tough on them by having complete strangers blaming them for a loss that they have personally suffered.

You know, honestly, some of these family friends are doing the Travoltas no favors by speaking out either. If they choose not to speak themselves, their friends need not take up their cause. Follow their lead and just shut up about it.

In yesterday's paper they spoke with such a longtime friend, who happened to mention how John "strongly denied" and was "deeply hurt" by the allegations that his son had autism, but went on to acknowledge that when people saw Jett they could see he "wasn't right". They also go on to mention that Scientologists don't believe in psychiatry, and that autistics are treated by psychatrists. Hogwash, I've got 3 autistic family members, all thriving and improving at their own pace, none of whom have ever had the need for a psychiatrist or even an evaluation. Not all autistics need psychiatric services. It's hard to ask people to be sympathetic to their privacy when these friends keep saying things that are unintentionally insulting to the autistic community.

Look, I think it's their business if they acknowledged whatever his disabilities may have been. I think it's their business as long as they did not deny life saving medical treatments, however, I am the very proud parent of a flourishing autistic child. WTH is there to be "deeply hurt' about if someone thinks that your child had a particular diagnosis, when it is painfully obvious that if it wasn't autism it was something else. Autistic people are not sub human, not defective, they are just different. Some of them I've met are so brilliant it's scary. My son taught himself how to read at 2 years old. We'd pass him notes and he'd follow out the instructions to a T, and that's how his teachers discovered that he could read. At 12 months old there was not a shape sorter type puzzle that existed for toddlers that he could not solve in 60 seconds. 20-30 shapes done in an instant. He was classmates with a 9 year old math genius once, as well as with a kid that could memorize and understand so many text books he was like a human computer. I know autistic kids who are in college, and even met autistic teachers and doctors. These kids have wonderful talents sometimes, and for those who don't they are no less deserving or important than those who do, and they are by far the most loving and accepting people on the planet. We should all learn from them what it truly means not to be judgemental and unforgiving. It's best they leave autism out of it, and anyone in the autism community who is trying to "out" them should think to do the same. There are plenty of people who have autistic children or children who "aren't right" who live in denial. Fame and fortune does not exclude one from having a hard time accepting their kid has an issue.

This is not about autism. True enough, a fair percentage of autistic teens develop seizure disorders, however if they decided to acknowledge the seizures themselves and not the potential autism diagnosis, well that's on them. Their son is dead. Gone. A true tragedy. Pray for them. If there is anything they could have done and didn't there is nothing anyone can say that will make them feel any worse about that, and if they did everything they could there is nothing anyone can do that will convince them that they couldn't have done more. All I can say is that I wish them peace and healing, and most of all, understanding. Maybe if the receive it, they will be able to offer understanding to those who truly do acknowledge and deal with autism and other disabilities, and understand those of us who choose to treat it in any way that helps.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 01-07-2009 at 09:47 AM.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I personally don't care that Jett had autism, or Kawasaki, or 11 toes on one foot. I just feel bad for the Travolta's loss, and I feel bad that they can't mourn their loss in peace. I feel bad that everyone is pushing blame or speculation. Who cares in the end? It's a loss and I think we have forgotten how to respect others feelings and losses. It at times appears that we can be vultures at times (and I'm including myself in this one).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3268130;
    The Travolta's have spent the last 10 plus years blaming Jett's medical problems on Kawasaki Syndrome.
    Kawasaki Syndrome does not cause seizures and is not a life long disease.
    IF left UNTREATED it can damage the coronary arteries. Usually all the heart problems go away in five or six weeks, and there's no lasting damage. Sometimes coronary artery damage persists and can be a problem later in life. But that has nothing to do with his having frequent seizures.

That organization that LM, the Travoltas and tom cruise belong to believes that you can over come Autism and other psychological illnesses by being strong and taking auditing classes.

Yes, they are entitled to mourn in private. But they need to be honest about a illness or be quiet.
    As you said in your first sentence, the Travoltas have been vocal about Jett having Kawasaki Syndrome. So it is reasonable to assume that they did not leave that untreated. Why be so vocal and active about what your child is going through, and then refuse treatment?

You are correct in the Scientology views on autisim so IF in fact Jett was autistic, it would be reasonable to assume he was not receiving treatment for it. However, leaving autism untreated does not lead to siezures, coronary disease, or any of the problems that are speculated to have contributed to his death. So I fail to see how the speculation does anything to help the cause.

MRD

We don't know just how strongly the Travoltas follow Scientology.
    They may not follow ALL it's teachings exactly. I would think that anyone practising any religion has trouble following ALL the rules exactly. I know I do.

IF the boy had autism, we can't assume they didn't have it treated.
    We don't know that he had it and we don't know if they went against scientology and had it treated.

I have had 2 friends that are Christian Scientist. That religion doesn't believe in medical intervention, however one friend had surgery and radiation and chemo for cancer. The other had a kidney transplant. They went against the teachings of their chosen religion to have medical treatment to save their lives. So it's reasonable to assume that IF the child had autism, they may have gone against the teachings of Scientology to have it treated. But the important fact is that no one but the Travolta's and their doctor's know for sure. And unless they choose to disclose it, it's none of our business.

So you can't assume that the Travoltas followed all the rules of scientology and you can't assume that Jett had autism and they didn't treat it.

I agree with Famita, we have lost the main issue. These are parents that have lost a child at a relatively young age. They have experienced a tragic death and loss. Our speculation on it serves no real purpose. What they need is privacy, understanding and prayers for healing.

And don't forget that each of us chooses what religion we belong to or not to belong too. We can choose to believe in God or Aliens or whatever. We are guaranteed the Freedom of religion and the freedom against religion if we so choose.
    We may all think Scientology is a cult. We may think Jehovah Witnesses are a major pain in the butt when they knock on the door. We can and do think anything we want, but in the end, it's not our business what our neighbor does, what the guy across town does and what our favorite movie stars believe in. It's their right to their beliefs and for the most part, it seems like the Travolta's have kept their beliefs to themselves somewhat. They haven't been jumping on any couches on Oprah espousing what they believe.

I think they deserve the privacy to grieve and heal without the world trying to blame them for something that we really honestly know nothing about. And that we have absolutely no right to know anything about.

Jett had a seizure disorder and he ultimately died from it, period. Rest in peace, Jett Travolta.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I just heard that Cheryl Holdridge, former Mouseketeer, recently died. She was one of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3271279;
    I just heard that Cheryl Holdridge, former Mouseketeer, recently died. She was one of my favorites!
    She was only 64. Way too young. I always wondered why Annette got all the attention. There were so many on that show who seemed to have a lot more charisma.

+ Reply to Thread