+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    I hadn't seen anything about this, yet, so . . .

Nolan Miller (costume designer for "Dynasty") has died.

Nolan Miller obituary: 'Dynasty' costume designer dies at 79 - latimes.com

Until Fallon got taken away in a spaceship and I stopped tuning in at that point, one of the major reasons I watched "Dynasty" was to drool over those fabulous outfits he created each week. One of my all-time favorite movie or TV costumes, EVER, is still that ice-blue wedding gown (with matching hat) he decked Krystle (Linda Evans) out in for her second (?) wedding to Blake.

I'm sure he must be in Heaven designing fabulous outfits for the angels, right now!

RIP, Nolan.
    I love Nolan Miller and have a few of his unique and beautiful pins. He was truly a class act and he will be missed by lots of us.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Not sure that he is a "celebrity", but he is well-known (and I'm not sure where else to put this)

Mubarak health crisis report hikes Egypt turmoil *| ajc.com

All 3 of our local news affiliates are reporting that he has died.
    Well, heck, if Rodney King makes it into this "Celebrity" thread, why not Mubarak???

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Well, heck, if Rodney King makes it into this "Celebrity" thread, why not Mubarak???
    Except he's not dead.He's on life support
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Except he's not dead.He's on life support
    I think this is a perfect example of the insanity of the 24-hour news cycle (not that he's on life support but that so many outlets reported him dead when he wasn't). If one news outlet reports it then everyone jumps on it. I don't know how many "updated" tags I saw under the headlines that he was dead.

In one of the workshops I teach (I teach graduate students and professors how to teach college), I use the example from a couple of years ago regarding the news hysteria that Chief Justice John Roberts was stepping down. Well, it turns out the story started in a criminal law class when a professor said something to make a point. His students started texting and tweeting the rumor to their friends. RadarOnline.com published it before verifying it and then all of the other outlets picked it up (because we know that RadarOnline.com is the bastion of hard hitting news...). About 30 minutes later, RadarOnline.com retracted it because it turned out to be wrong but it was too late. It was all over the news and then the "updated" headlines started showing up as the news organizations started to verify the information. The professor's point in his example was that one cannot just assume that a witness who is considered credible is telling the truth...because even their professor, whom the students inherently trust, was telling them a lie and they believed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieAnn View Post
    I think this is a perfect example of the insanity of the 24-hour news cycle (not that he's on life support but that so many outlets reported him dead when he wasn't). If one news outlet reports it then everyone jumps on it. I don't know how many "updated" tags I saw under the headlines that he was dead.

In one of the workshops I teach (I teach graduate students and professors how to teach college), I use the example from a couple of years ago regarding the news hysteria that Chief Justice John Roberts was stepping down. Well, it turns out the story started in a criminal law class when a professor said something to make a point. His students started texting and tweeting the rumor to their friends. RadarOnline.com published it before verifying it and then all of the other outlets picked it up (because we know that RadarOnline.com is the bastion of hard hitting news...). About 30 minutes later, RadarOnline.com retracted it because it turned out to be wrong but it was too late. It was all over the news and then the "updated" headlines started showing up as the news organizations started to verify the information. The professor's point in his example was that one cannot just assume that a witness who is considered credible is telling the truth...because even their professor, whom the students inherently trust, was telling them a lie and they believed it.
    That's very interesting.

It would seem nobody fact checks anymore. It's all about the sound byte , or grabbing the headline. At one time they reported the news, now they want to be the news.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Now they are saying he's made something of a miraculous comeback . . . off life support, with heart and other vital organs functioning.

Security officials dispute Hosni Mubarek is clinically dead

Cue the Mark Twain quote!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I remember getting prints of his work back in the 70's during the Olympics - artist LeRoy Neiman - dead at 91

Sports artist LeRoy Neiman, who worked on 5 Olympics, dies at 91 - latimes.com
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

With summer Olympics about to start, you can be sure his work will be all over the place. He created a great niche for himself. Not my cup of tea, but I always like to see an artist doing well. RIP
    Count your blessings!

"To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Yes, Rob Zombie posted the news on his Facebook early yesterday. I guess it was quite a shock since Lynch was currently working on Zombie's Lords of Salem project.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread