+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree842Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Richard Dawson, the legendary host of "Family Feud," has died from complications due to esophageal cancer ... this according to his son.

Gary Dawson posted a Facebook message early this morning that read:

"It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that my father passed away this evening from complications due to esophageal cancer. He was surrounded by his family. He was an amazing talent, a loving husband, a great dad, and a doting grandfather. He will be missed but always remembered..."

Dawson hosted "Feud" from 1976-1985, and then from 1994-1995. He was also famous for being a regular on "The Match Game" and for appearing in the classic Arnold Schwarzenegger action film "The Running Man." One of his biggest roles -- Dawson played Capt. Peter Newkirk on "Hogan's Heros," a wildly popular show in the 60's.

Dawson was married to Gretchen Johnson ... interesting fact -- he met her when she was part of a contestant family on The Feud and got hitched in 1991. Dawson was famous during the first run of the show for kissing all the female contestants -- he was known as "The Kissing Bandit." But in the second run, he kissed no one -- a promise he made to Gretchen.

Prior to Gretchen, Dawson was married to Diana Dors, a sex symbol back in the day. They had 2 sons.
    tmz.com

Richard Dawson Dead -- 'Family Feud' Host Dies of Cancer | TMZ.com
    Last edited by Critical; 06-03-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Added required URL
    There's no place like home!

So sad to hear... A group of girlfriends and I in college, scheduled our classes around reruns of him hosting the Family Feud that would play on the Game Show Network. He was awesome.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

It is official...I am old...I remember watching him in Hogan's Heros...the original show, not the reruns on Nick at Nite. I always had a crush on him.
    There's no place like home!

So sorry to hear about Richard Dawson. I really enjoyed him in Hogan's Heroes. I remember his first wife, Diana Dors, quite well too. She was a stunning blonde, known as the British Marilyn Monroe, but she was also quite a good actress with a long resume.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

So sad.

I'm sure he's kissing a lot of ladies in Heaven for luck and love.

RIP, Richard.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

He must have retired several years ago, as I havent heard anything about him for a long time--until now. I really enjoyed watching him in The Running Man! RIP Mr. Dawson.

I loved Richard Dawson - especially his humor

RIP & thank you
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Yep, I used to watch him on "Hogan's Heroes" BEFORE "Nick at Nite", and I really enjoyed him on that, first.

Funny "Family Feud" story:

Years ago I saw him on "The Tonight Show" as a guest. This was SO long ago, Johnny Carson was still hosting it, and Richard was still hosting "Family Feud" (IIRC). Johnny asked Richard about his most off-the-wall "Family Feud" show, or had he ever gotten rattled while doing the show, or something to that effect. Richard's reply:

"In _______ years of hosting 'Family Feud', I have never gotten rattled or lost it, except ONE TIME. They had to stop tape. Take a look."

The tape starts rolling.

Richard is standing with a male guest in the "Fast Money" round at the end of the show.

Richard: "In what month of pregnancy does a woman begin to show?"

Guest: "Uh . . . Uh . . . SEPTEMBER!"

Richard's head shot up, he had a "deer in the headlights" look on his face for a second, then he lost it. Oh BOY did he lose it! Matter of fact, Richard doubled over, was CRYING he was laughing so hard and --- in between gasps --- was begging for the tape to be stopped so he could get himself together and they could finish taping.

Cut back to "The Tonight Show" . . .

Richard is laughing his butt off, Johnny is laughing HIS butt off, and the audience is HOWLING. Johnny just managed to get it together enough to go to a commercial.

I thought about that when I heard he'd died today, and I had a laugh, AGAIN, remembering that.
    Last edited by ness; 06-03-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

RIP. Strange how Ray Combs (another former Family Feud host) also died on June 2.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    RIP. Strange how Ray Combs (another former Family Feud host) also died on June 2.
    Wow.

That IS eerie.

+ Reply to Thread