+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree861Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    libgirl2, honestly,no offense to you on this but I think if guys go into pro-football, they've got to know by now how hazardous it is to their bodies.
    So I guess I don't understand about the lawsuit with Duerson and others. (had read about it in the news of Junior Seau)
    I remember when I was taking karate lessons for 2 years (25 yrs ago) and my doctor would ask me why each time he treated my injuries, like broken nose, concussion, etc. I told him I knew going into it that this might happen but I still felt it was something I wanted/needed to do.
    Being small and a woman, I wanted to feel more secure and not a hopeless victim. I attained that but I got a lot of injuries in the process.
    (I also got a great husband, because I married my teacher!!...lucky me! )
    No offense taken. Of course they have to know what they are getting into, like anyone takingon a dangerous profession. People forget it is dangerous not just a "fun" game. And for some of these guys, sports are a way out of poverty, to help their families. Some don't know much more then that.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Haha! My sister married her karate instructor, too!

The funny thing is she met him through her then-boyfriend. Her boyfriend installed wood floors for a living and he did the floors for the karate studio. Part of the payment was a free lesson. My sister's boyfriend wasn't interested in the karate lesson so he let my sister use it. I bet he wished after the fact that he had used the lesson himself since he lost his girlfriend by giving it to her.

The Beastie Boys' Adam "MCA" Yauch has died. He was only 47
    Report: Beastie Boys rapper MCA dies – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

I'm glad that he lived long enough to see BB inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Still, it's so sad. I feel like a part of my youth is gone.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The Beastie Boys' Adam "MCA" Yauch has died. He was only 47
    Report: Beastie Boys rapper MCA dies – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

I'm glad that he lived long enough to see BB inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Still, it's so sad. I feel like a part of my youth is gone.
    How depressing I remember seeing them in concert, opening for Madonna on the "Like a Virgin" tour. First time I had heard of them. I thought they were great.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Frankly, I'm surprised the Beastie Boys are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They only had one big hit, right? Fight For Your Right to Party was enough to get them inducted?

This is probably a discussion for another thread but I wonder how inductees are chosen. I can think of many, many bands with more big hits than the Beastie Boys so they would be way down my list of potential inductees. No disrespect meant to the BB or their fans.

It's so sad to hear of people that young going before their time. At least he lived to see his band be successful and he accomplished more in his short life than many people who live into old age.

No, they didn't have just one hit. The Beastie Boys had 4 albums hit the top of the Billboard charts, won 3 Grammys, sold over 60 million albums worldwide and had numerous hit singles. Among music critics they're considered one of the most influential bands of our time - I'm sure MANY musicians (and fans like me) would agree.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Frankly, I'm surprised the Beastie Boys are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They only had one big hit, right? Fight For Your Right to Party was enough to get them inducted?
    I didn't listen to their music often, but they had a some others... Brass Monkey and Sabotage were on the radio and MTV often enough.

This is awful I can't name one song that they did.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I had one I could have come up with and it's the one Pikachu mentioned. Certainly not my cup of tea. So many in his profession havew died needless deaths. He was still young and really had no choice in dying. Cancer sucks.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post

I had one I could have come up with and it's the one Pikachu mentioned. Certainly not my cup of tea. So many in his profession havew died needless deaths. He was still young and really had no choice in dying. Cancer sucks.
    He was too young . Its not fair.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread