+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree722Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Rest In Peace.

I thought maybe there was a limit to the number of letters one word could have! Guess it's a good thing there aren't many 31 letters words in the English language!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Heard about the Disney songwriter also today. He wrote so many great songs, even the dreaded It's a Small World.

Cocaine, heart disease contributed to Whitney Houston's drowning, coroner says - CNN.com
    The toxicology tests found other drugs in her body, including marijuana, the anti-anxiety drug Xanax, the muscle relaxant Flexeril and the allergy medicine Benadryl...
    Not really surprising. I would have been surprised if it wasn't drug related.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Not really a shock. Sad she was taking all that (sigh)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Cocaine, heart disease contributed to Whitney Houston's drowning, coroner says - CNN.com

Not really surprising. I would have been surprised if it wasn't drug related.
    I don't think anyone is surprised. In my mind I hoped she was clean & it was a heart attack from all the abuse in the past. I would have liked my final thought of her to be that she was clean & starting over to rebuild her career & life. But deep down inside I knew. I think we all did.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I hoped against hope the toxicology report would've come out clean, but it is what it is. Sad it had to end this way for her, but I still choose to remember what she gave us in terms of positive entertainment. Her music and movies live on, and she has left a musical legacy that is solid.

As for all the other stuff... there is no need to rehash it all. We know about her addiction, the effects of it contributed to her death. So is the case for most addicts. Drug use will wear your body down and eventually catch up with you. The ridicule that has followed the toxicology report is expected, knowing how many get on their soap box about this subject. They'll call her names and trashtalk her. No one deserves that kind of treatment. Her drug use was magnified many times over due to who she was. Being an addict does not make a person a lesser human being. They are still people like the rest of us, despite their issues.

It's done now. She's gone and now we know why. Time to leave her be.
    Rest in eternal peace, Whitney. Thank you for being and for entertaining us for so many years. You are and will always be missed.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I think it's important not to gloss over the role that addiction had in her early demise. I don't mean to say anything to demean Whitney Houston but it makes me angry/frustrated when people die needlessly because of poor choices in their life. She didn't have to die so young. It was a loss for everyone, not just her and her family, and a waste of the talent she was given. Her death could have been prevented.

If focusing on the serious issue of addiction can prevent future potential stars from taking that road, I'm all for it. Sweeping it under the rug and pretending her death was unavoidable and due to natural causes just allows the cycle to continue. People seem to think they'll be able to try drugs and not get addicted or if they do get addicted, they'll be able to quit and suffer no long-term health consequences. The death of a well-known figure might be the only thing that gets through to them that no one is invincible.
    Last edited by pikachu; 03-27-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Earl Scruggs, bluegrass legend, dies

While his music was not my style, there's no denying the man was talented.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I was shocked to hear that Thomas Kincaide, the artist, died. He was 54 yrs old.
    I hadn't heard of him being ill but I assume that was probably what happened. They said "natural causes." Maybe a rare heart attack?

That is a shocker. He's not that old.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread