+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree841Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Rest In Peace.

Aww, such sad news about Davy Jones. I adored the Monkees back in junior high. I remember many fun nights having sleepovers and playing their albums on my record turntable. Yes, I am that old! May he rest in peace.

FORT Fogey

Oh, man. Another piece of my childhood gone--I immediately flashbacked to the Peterson's rec room (remember when people had rec rooms in their basements?) and "playing" the Monkees with the Peterson kids.

Loved their television show too, which I remember more as a Saturday morning rerun staple.

I agree that 66 seems really young to die of a heart attack, but then, my own father died of one at 53, so it's not unheard of either.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    66 is awfully young to die of a heart attack unless he had a history of heart problems. For that matter 66 is awfully young to have a history of heart problems.
    It's so sad to see those we "knew" when we were children die.

RIP Davy
    My first question when something like this happens is "How old was his father when he died, and what did he die from?" It is not infrequent for people to follow a family issue like this one. I was told about male relatives (not every male, but a significant number) who seemed to die at a certain age from sudden cardiac arrest....as in one moment, sitting there, the next moment they fell over dead. It was only the males, and it had a strong history for that exact age. That will make you hike your eyebrows, to say the least.

Somebody like Davy Jones dying like this calls our own mortality to the forefronts of our minds, and makes us feel very vulnerable.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

In the summer of '67, the Monkees went on tour, and had a concert in the NYC area. My best friend and I had started a fan club in grade school for them the year before, and we were contacted by their management and invited to meet them at the Warwick Hotel in Manhattan, where they were staying, along with about 20 other local fan club founders. My friend's mother brought us into the city, and we got to spend an hour with Davy, Peter and Mike (Micky was "indisposed", probably hung over or still in bed with a "groupie") in Peter's hotel room. I got an autograph and a kiss from all of them (at 11, I think I was just slightly shorter than Davy), girls were pilfering everything that any of them put their hands on, and I thought it was the "greatest day of my life" at the time. Hearing the sad news today brought back very bittersweet memories of my childhood obsession. RIP, Davy.

so sad

RIP, Davy Jones. I, like so many others, was in love with you when you first appeared on TV.
    Thanks for the great memories.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

As I told my friends, when most of us were ages 6-10, the Monkees were our first taste of "music" and all us girls (and probably a guy or two) had a crush on one or more of them at some point.

Interestingly enough, my friends are really more upset over this then Whitney's death.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I saw Davy & Mickey a few years back at a local fesitval - they were still going strong. Davy was such a big piece of my childhood - I am SO sad

One of my favorite songs was the one he sang on The Brady Bunch:

Girl, look what you've done to me - me and my whole world

Goodbye Davy - you will be missed!

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    As I told my friends, when most of us were ages 6-10, the Monkees were our first taste of "music" and all us girls (and probably a guy or two) had a crush on one or more of them at some point.

Interestingly enough, my friends are really more upset over this then Whitney's death.
    Same here. I think because we all grew up with them, well, their music
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

So sad to hear about Davy Jones. Rest in peace, you will most definitely be missed.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread