+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree722Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    This is a perfect description of my ex-husband too. He didn't believe in keeping money in the bank, planning for the future, or even the kids' education. It was all about the show. He didn't want to live the way he did growing up & wanted to project the image of the guy who "has it all". Unfortunately what we HAD was debt, no money in the bank & living hand to mouth the whole time we were together. I was constantly wondering how we were going to pay the bills. I, on the other hand, grew up in a family who lived within their means & planned for the future. Since the divorce I'm back to living MY way.
    I think this attitude is common with people who grew up poor or struggling.

It's all about the show.
    My first husband was all about spending it stupidly.... he took a second mortgage out on our home.... ugh! My second (and last) husband is very much like me and how I was raised. We aren't extravagant spenders, we live within our means, and we save!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    My first husband was all about spending it stupidly.... he took a second mortgage out on our home.... ugh! My second (and last) husband is very much like me and how I was raised. We aren't extravagant spenders, we live within our means, and we save!
    My ex was like this, spend spend spend. I am still awfully worried when it comes to money and spending We grew up very poor, but we were taught the value of a dollar. We all had piggy banks, and any money for Xmas went in them. I have always tried to save.I would lay awake and worry if I thought the mortgage wasn't going to get paid. Thank god my DH is like me.

I wish they would teach more about money and finances in school. I see my children's grown friends, and they have to have the newest gadgets immediately . I worry for their children.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    There was an article today in my local paper saying that a black velvet dress and pearl earrings that Whitney wore in The Bodyguard would be auctioned as part of the "Hollywood Legends" auction which had been planned for March 31 and April 1.

Whitney Houston belongings up for auction
    I'm kind of surprised that stuff she wore in The Bodyguard would be part of a Hollywood Legends auction, considering the other examples they gave were of much more readily identifiable importance in terms of Hollywood history. Nothing against Whitney, but she was obviously much more well known as a singer than as an actress, and I don't think there's much of a comparison between her earrings and Charlie Chaplin's cane, which was absolutely an integral part of his iconic character, the little tramp. But then, I imagine the cane will go for much more too, unless there are a whole lot of them out there available to collectors.

I don't have a huge problem with her family selling such things, as there may be debts and the items in question may not mean all that much to them personally, as opposed to what they mean to collectors. It does seem a bit soon, but perhaps Whitney was considering selling them before her death anyway. At any rate, you obviously can't keep everything after someone dies, and her family may simply feel other things are far more important to them.

I wonder who took the picture of her in her coffin, Creepy.Its even more creepy that people will buy the damn rag its on

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I have always tried to save.I would lay awake and worry if I thought the mortgage wasn't going to get paid.
    My DH and I are now in a "comfortable" financial stituation and if asked, the thing I always say is what I like best is the ability and knowledge that we can pay our bills. I don't care about spending to showing off to others, like buying fancy cars, joing expensive country clubs, like some friends and family do. Knowing that our bills will be paid is what helps me sleep well at night. That may sound like a silly thing that brings peace of mind to me but it's just how we live and were brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    My DH and I are now in a "comfortable" financial situation and if asked, the thing I always say is what I like best is the ability and knowledge that we can pay our bills. I don't care about spending to showing off to others, like buying fancy cars, joing expensive country clubs, like some friends and family do. Knowing that our bills will be paid is what helps me sleep well at night. That may sound like a silly thing that brings peace of mind to me but it's just how we live and were brought up.
    Were in a good position now. . We like to travel, so thats what we do. We took a tropical vacation last month, and are looking at something else in a month or two . But the bills are a priority one, so it doesn't sound silly to me.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    That always amazes me. How popular singers, actor/actresses, & sports figures who make a TON of money can go broke.
    I think they figure that much money will be coming in every year/month for the rest of their lives & don't plan for reality.
    I know someone who spent $125,000 on drugs in just under 2 years. Not a celebrity, with an average income. So, it can add up very quickly and Whitney had used/abused for many years. Plus, people can and will charge celebrities much higher prices than what regular folks would pay. If you notice who ends up being broke after making millions of dollars, more than we'd make in an entire lifetime, it will be those who love to party and pay the way for those who want to party with them.

It's all about money. If her family wants to sell off her stuff, things she wore once or twice, why not? Princess Diana and Elizabeth Taylor's dresses fetch big money. If people are willing to pay to have these pieces why not do it?

As for her casket photo? What I don't like about it is the fact that it was taken by someone who was a sneak. It was taken without anyone knowing and sold to a low ball tabloid. Still, I wasn't surprised. People will do anything for money.

I don't find it all that weird because for some reason our family has pictures of family members in their casket. It freaked me out when I was younger, but apparently this is what our family did in the past. I'm not sure why they did it, how it started, who started it or what. Those people died when I was really young so those photos did help preserve my memories of what they looked like. Maybe it was a 70's thing.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

FORT Fogey

I think casket photos are more just something some families are comfortable with and others aren't, as opposed to being connected to a particular era. They've been around a long time. I know that when a close friend of my mother's died in the early 1980s, her children asked if she wanted a photograph of her in her coffin or just a photograph of the coffin with the lid closed. My mother really didn't want either one, but she took the photo of the closed coffin just to avoid hurting the family's feelings. My mom's own feeling was that she had plenty of photographs of her friend when she was alive, happy, and healthy (she died of cancer) and preferred to remember her that way.

For someone else to take a photograph of Whitney--or anyone--in a casket without the permission of the family and then selling it is, of course, wildly inappropriate.

Also, I think that the first sale of Princess Diana's clothing was done while she was still alive. I remember William saying after her death that she helped choose what would be sold--and the profits went to her charities. That's why William and Harry felt it was appropriate to sell off some of her things after her death as well (and once again, the profits went to charity).

I was and still am digusted with the casket picture, I know people say "What do you expect" or "Celebrities pay this price" I agree, but still its tactless even for the tabliods, I can still remember they never showed any pictures of Anna Nicole Smith, if someone like her is getting respect from the tabliods then a legend with talent like Whitney deserves it.

I'm noticing the press isn't all over Whitney either like they were with Anna. Makes me sick !

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Just heard that DAVY JONES has passed away.

Monkees Singer Davy Jones -- Dead at 66 from Heart Attack | TMZ.com
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread