+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree861Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    They are already auctioning off some of her belongings
    Will reserve judgement until I know where the money goes. If it is for charity then no problem.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm guessing that there are expenses that need to be paid, and there is not much $ in the estate.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

There was an article today in my local paper saying that a black velvet dress and pearl earrings that Whitney wore in The Bodyguard would be auctioned as part of the "Hollywood Legends" auction which had been planned for March 31 and April 1.

Whitney Houston belongings up for auction
    Published: February 20, 2012 9:19 PM

There had to be an auction, but so soon?
    A black velvet dress that belonged to Whitney Houston and a pair of earrings she wore in "The Bodyguard" will be sold to the highest bidder next month, The Associated Press reports.
    Celebrity auctioneer Darren Julien said Sunday the pieces and other Houston items became available after the singer's death on Feb. 11 and will be included among a long-planned sale of Hollywood memorabilia such as Charlie Chaplin's cane, Clark Gable's jacket from "Gone With the Wind" and Charlton Heston's staff from "The Ten Commandments."
    Julien said celebrity collectibles often become available after their namesakes die.
    "It proves a point that these items, they're an investment," Julien said. "You buy items just like a stock. Buy at the right time and sell at the right time, and they just increase in value."
    But could it be too soon to profit from Houston's passing? She was just buried on Sunday.
    "It's a celebration of her life," Julien said. "If you hide these things in fear that you're going to offend someone -- her life is to be celebrated. These items are historic now that she passed. They become a part of history. They should be in museums. She's lived a life and had a career that nobody else has ever had."
    Houston is "someone who's going to maintain a collectibility," he said. "For people who are fans of Whitney Houston and never would have had a chance to meet her and never got to talk to her, these are items that literally touched a part of her life. They are a way to relate to her or be a part of her life without having known her."
    The singer's floor-length black dress is valued at $1,000 but likely to collect much more. Same goes for the vest she wore in "The Bodyguard," listed at $400, and the faux-pearl earrings that start at $600.
    Houston fans and other collectors can bid online, by phone or in person during the "Hollywood Legends" auction on March 31 and April 1. Lots will be shown during a free public exhibition beginning March 19 at Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills, Calif., just blocks from the Beverly Hilton Hotel, where Houston died at age 48.
    Whitney Houston belongings up for auction

It just seems so soon( they just had the funeral)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    It just seems so soon( they just had the funeral)
    The logic may be to catch buyers while the interest is still peaking. Will buyers be as interested in a year or more? Probably not. Famous actors get high bids for the clothes they wore in movies but not so much for their personal stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    The logic may be to catch buyers while the interest is still peaking. Will buyers be as interested in a year or more? Probably not. Famous actors get high bids for the clothes they wore in movies but not so much for their personal stuff.
    They did say it was some items from the movie The Bodyguard .

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'm guessing that there are expenses that need to be paid, and there is not much $ in the estate.
    That always amazes me. How popular singers, actor/actresses, & sports figures who make a TON of money can go broke.
    I think they figure that much money will be coming in every year/month for the rest of their lives & don't plan for reality. Maybe it's also the poor-kid-gets-money syndrome. They don't know anything about financial planning & just throw it around on wastefullness.

I know I wouldn't! If I ever got a large financial boon for any reason, I'd plan for the future to make sure it lasted, even if it was supposed to continue.
    Never trust the future. Plan for it.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I think many of them also support various family members who also think they can live the high life.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My former husband has lived his life in the "spend it all" mentality. He grew up in a large, impoverished family, and material things and "showboating" were very important to him. He actually told me, a very long time ago, that he would just spend it all because he would just make more when that ran out. And I am talking about spending down to the last penny! That mentality is definitely not rare.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    My former husband has lived his life in the "spend it all" mentality. He grew up in a large, impoverished family, and material things and "showboating" were very important to him. He actually told me, a very long time ago, that he would just spend it all because he would just make more when that ran out. And I am talking about spending down to the last penny! That mentality is definitely not rare.
    This is a perfect description of my ex-husband too. He didn't believe in keeping money in the bank, planning for the future, or even the kids' education. It was all about the show. He didn't want to live the way he did growing up & wanted to project the image of the guy who "has it all". Unfortunately what we HAD was debt, no money in the bank & living hand to mouth the whole time we were together. I was constantly wondering how we were going to pay the bills. I, on the other hand, grew up in a family who lived within their means & planned for the future. Since the divorce I'm back to living MY way.
    I think this attitude is common with people who grew up poor or struggling.

It's all about the show.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread