+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Re: Rest In Peace.

Well according to TMZ, Bobby was allowed to bring 2 people. I'm guessing those 2 were his other children? According to the story he brought an entourage of 9. Who does that? Oops another story says he and his 2 children were moved 3 times and he wasn't allowed to see Bobbi Kristina. That ticked him off and he left. Who knows what the real story is anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden
    I'm also starting to feel a little sorry for Dolly Parton, as I've heard so many networks point out how much money she'll now make from the renewed interest in Whitney's version of "I Will Always Love You." I'm sure that's the furthest thing from Dolly Parton's mind, and it's icky to hear people going on about who might make what as a result of someone's death.
    That's not the only icky thing about Whitney's death. Apparently, fans were criticizing Dolly for calling it HER song. Fans were outraged. Dolly then acquiesced and said "our song". WTF? Dolly did write it, it was her song. She never meant any disrespect at all. She is too sweet of a woman and should have just ignored any criticism or issued any other statements.

On the other hand, Nancy Grace implied that Whitney may have been pushed underwater. "Who let [Whitney Houston] slip, or pushed her, underneath that water?" She added, "Apparently, no signs of force or trauma to the body. Who let Whitney Houston go under her water?" She would not back down on GMA when called out, yet not much is being said about that. Gawd that woman is a *BLEEP*

I will be glad to find out what the Biebs or the Kardashians are doing next. Well, not really, but hopefully the press will tire of dissecting every aspect of Whitney's life.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagodiva View Post
    I wasn't talking about this board, just the media in general. Sorry I guess I should have explained that better.
    I understood you also...knew you weren't talking about FORT.

I wasn't planning on watching the service but it was on as I was searching the guide. I turned it on when Alicia Keys was singing. I'm so glad I watched the rest. What a beautiful, moving tribute. I heard such great things about Kevin Costner's and Tyler Perry's speeches I went on youtube to watch those. I liked that they kept the camera on just who was speaking or singing, so that we were able to share the service but not gawk at their grief. It was also moving to see how quiet and respectful everyone outside was when they brought her casket out. The commentators on E! even mentioned it. I'm glad they were mostly quiet throughout it too, but they were the first ones who mentioned the speeches.

I didn't watch the funeral, just happened to see the end when they were playing "I will always love you". Heartbreaking. I did like the usage of one camera. Her family didn't need to have cameras zooming in on every tear.

As for Bobby Brown, I think it was an emotional day and some of the blame for that moment can fall on a number of people. Regardless, it was Whitney's day, and if he chose to leave, so be it. He showed up with a lot of people. It's a small church that had a strict invitation only list for the homegoing. He could have tried to respect that. The multiple seat changes were probably because he required more seats than he was given.

As for the old rumors resurfacing, for some they may be malicious in nature, especially the details of her downfall and drug usage. I've seen articles from her former driver that were just clearly used to gain from her death. As for the rumors about her sexuality, I think in some regards it's normal for people to want to attribute her drug usage to some tortured suffering soul so that they can understand why such a beautiful and talented woman felt the need to dive into that dark place. It's human nature. It's not always malicious. it comes from the very human space of people needing to make sense of the world around them. The same happened when MJ died. People explored every issue from the court cases to the childhood beatings to the Pepsi commercial accident. They wanted a reason why that talented man was so tortured. They want to believe that a tortured soul is at rest. It makes the death go down easier for those left behind.

I just really, really hope for Bobbi K that her dad will put aside his pride and his own issues and put his daughter first. I don't know who is right or who is wrong. I don't know the details. I just feel that just for yesterday he should have remained low key. Shown up only with those invited, accepted that he is now only family to Bobbi K and that she may not have requested that he be seated with her, and just stuck it out to the end in support of his baby girl. JMO, right or wrong.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

With such a lovely funeral( from what I have heard) why does the media sound off all the time on Bobby Brown, he was apparently asked to move 3 times. So, he got up kissed the casket and left. I think thats for the best, he didnt want to cause a scene, but in doing this, he apparently caused a scene ( sigh)

I am no fan of his, but really?? this is what our news is all about.

Bobby Brown did not show up with an Enoturage. He showed up with the Siblings of Bobbi Christina who lived in the same household with them when he was married to Whitney.The younger son was distraught outside the church. All of these kids had been featured on their reality show and very close to Bobby Christina. Are they not allowed to grieve at the loss of the woman who was like a second mom to them.

Why did Al Sharpton have to tweet this to the world to begin with. The reason it got out to the public is because he tweeted it from inside the church.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I guarantee you that somebody would have tweeted it anyway and, possibly not with the accuracy that Rev. Sharpton did. Also, Rev. Sharpton stated that he was in the pastor's office when he made that tweet....not the church. Personally, I trust Rev. Sharpton's statement.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I would not believe Al Sharpton if he told me the sky was blue. I would look up to check first. The man has always been a wee bit shady. Tawana Brawley anyone.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Well according to TMZ, Bobby was allowed to bring 2 people. I'm guessing those 2 were his other children? According to the story he brought an entourage of 9. Who does that? Oops another story says he and his 2 children were moved 3 times and he wasn't allowed to see Bobbi Kristina. That ticked him off and he left. Who knows what the real story is anymore?

That's not the only icky thing about Whitney's death. Apparently, fans were criticizing Dolly for calling it HER song. Fans were outraged. Dolly then acquiesced and said "our song". WTF? Dolly did write it, it was her song. She never meant any disrespect at all. She is too sweet of a woman and should have just ignored any criticism or issued any other statements.

On the other hand, Nancy Grace implied that Whitney may have been pushed underwater. "Who let [Whitney Houston] slip, or pushed her, underneath that water?" She added, "Apparently, no signs of force or trauma to the body. Who let Whitney Houston go under her water?" She would not back down on GMA when called out, yet not much is being said about that. Gawd that woman is a *BLEEP*

I will be glad to find out what the Biebs or the Kardashians are doing next. Well, not really, but hopefully the press will tire of dissecting every aspect of Whitney's life.

Actually, I happened to be watching TV when the first scrolls went across the bottom of the screen announcing Whitney's death, and I started switching stations to see how various networks were handling the news. On CNN (I think), they were reading various tweets/reactions from celebrities, and Dolly Parton's initial reaction to Whitney's death referred to how grateful she was for Whitney's beautiful rendition of her song and how she would miss her. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I think Whitney's fans are being overly emotional if they're criticizing Dolly Parton for referring to it as her song. It is her song. She wrote it. It's no different than a Jerry Herman referring to "Hello Dolly" as his song, even if most people associate it with Carol Channing. I think she also recorded it prior to Whitney recording it. Anyone who wrote any of the songs Whitney recorded has the right to refer to them as their songs, because they are their songs--their songs and her renditions. If they take credit for her recording/performance, that's something else entirely, but as a performer herself, there's no way Dolly would be dumb enough to do that. Besides, she really doesn't need to piggyback on Whitney's fame or fortune. She has plenty of both of her own. In fact, my guess would be that her estate is significantly larger than Whitney's, if for no other reason than that she does own the rights to the songs she's written so she gets royalties from any recording of them--well, that and that she's generally been pretty smart about how she's handled her money/investments and so far as I know, never fell into any bad habits--drugs, gambling, a series of bad marriages etc.--that often eat up celebrities' money. I'm not actually a big fan of Whitney's or Dolly's, but I think that in this case Dolly's getting unnecessarily badmouthed, and I suspect Whitney would feel the same way. And, frankly, I've heard Whitney's version of that song so much in the last week that I need a little break from the song in general (I wish they'd play that less and "The Greatest Love of All" a little more, as the message there is a bit more positive--or really, anything else of hers; they've played that particular song so much that they're making it seem like she was a one hit wonder, and she wasn't).

As for "letting Whitney slip under water," it's not that uncommon for people to drown in bathtubs, is it? All you have to do is fall asleep and slip under the water, and apparently Whitney did have prescription for legitimate drugs (as opposed to street drugs, though I realize prescription drugs are often abused and just as potentially dangerous) at the time of her death. Even if she was just taking them as directed, some people can get sleepy from some prescriptions. On top of that, she was seen drinking on several occasions just prior to her death. Alcohol and some drugs combined can definitely make a person groggy enough to fall asleep/pass out in a tub and not react quickly enough to slipping under the water. For heaven's sake, people have drowned in just inches of water before, so simply drowning in a bathtub is entirely possible. The official cause of death has yet to be determined/announced, but the autopsy did reveal no indication of foul play whatsoever. Nancy Grace needs to watch what she says or she could get sued.

Until they prove otherwise, I don't believe anyone "let" her drown. They just didn't think to check on her until it was too late. Again, lots of people like to luxuriate in a bathtub. She could have been in there for an hour without really raising any suspicions, unless she was the type never to take more than a few minutes to bathe. By that time, it would simply have been too late. I know some people are making much of the fact that she was removed from the bathroom before the EMTs got there, but a lot of hotel bathrooms are kind of small. If anyone in her entourage wanted to try to resuscitate her, they may have moved her to the adjacent room in order to do so--or they just panicked and grabbed her and pulled her into the bedroom. People don't necessarily think clearly at such moments.

FORT Regular

NEW YORK (AP) Aretha Franklin was thankful to be alive Saturday night and thinking about lost friends, among them Whitney Houston.
    Hours after she canceled an appearance at Houston's funeral because of spasms in her legs, the "Queen of Soul" (the "undisputed" Queen, the capacity audience was reminded by the show's announcer) was quick on her feet, feisty in voice and sentimental and sassy in spirit at Radio City Music Hall.
    It was the latest stop on a "greatest hits" tour featuring old favorites and, since Houston's shocking death a week ago, a tribute to her fallen goddaughter.
    Franklin herself was rumored a year ago to be mortally ill, hospitalized with an undisclosed illness and asking her fans worldwide to pray for her health. On Saturday, the 69-year-old singer looked young enough to joke about a man who had mistaken her for being in her 50s. She danced and shimmied, kicked off her heels and paced the stage barefoot, and even smirked and gave herself a couple of satisfied pats on the rear.
    She looked back over a 50-year career and those who helped her along. Franklin praised the late Luther Vandross as she kicked off the R&B hit he wrote for her, "Get It Right." She introduced her most heartbreaking ballad, "Ain't No Way," with a brief word about her sister and the song's composer, Carolyn Franklin, who died in 1988.
    She sang the title from the classic Motown anthem of devotion, "You're All I Need To Get By," and two giant flat screens on opposite sides of the stage flashed a picture of one of the writers, Nick Ashford, who died last summer. Franklin then called out to Ashford's widow and songwriting partner, Valerie Simpson, among several friends and family members in attendance.

I'm sorry, but you would think she'd at least have tried to show up to Whitney's funeral (even if she couldn't sing) if not negotiate to reschedule one of her 2 performances (either Fri or Sat night). NYC and Newark is a short, easy drive away. I hate to say it but I have to suspect ego and insecurity. I remember when Beyonce introduced Tina Turner at the grammies a few years ago and said "Here's the Queen" and Aretha made a statement the next day saying Tina wasn't the Queen, Aretha herself is in fact the Queen of Soul. It makes you question whether she wanted to avoid having to show up to an event where people would be claiming Whitney as the best female voice ever instead of her.

Just saying'...
    Last edited by scootad; 02-19-2012 at 07:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread