+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree866Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

FORT Fogey

Re: Rest In Peace.

Apparently there's now some controversy over the governor's proclamation that flags should be flown at half staff in New Jersey on Friday for Whitney Houston. I wondered why anyone would have an objection to that, but evidently, the custom in New Jersey has been to fly flags at half mast only after the deaths of those who were in service, either to the military or the state (police officers, members of the highway patrol etc.). I guess they've decided to leave compliance to the governor's declaration up to the individual state/local facilities, but some polls--however accurate or inaccurate they may be--have indicated a strong feeling that flags shouldn't be flown at half mast for anyone who didn't serve the nation/state.

Does anyone happen to know if other celebrities have gotten the half mast honor before in their states? I can't think of anyone who has here, and I suppose some celebrities, especially older ones, might have been in the service at some point in their lives too. Seems to me flags were flown at half mast after 9/11, but realistically, some of the people killed that day were indeed cops and firefighters, so I don't know if they were flown specifically for that reason or for the sake of everyone. I assumed it was for everyone, but I don't remember what was mentioned as the reason at the time.

I think it's ridiculous to fly flags at half mast over the death of Whitney Huston.
    She was a great singer, famous, & tremendously talented, although so much of her talent was wasted by her. But she didn't serve her country/state/city/community in the military, in public office, or even in any major charity work. She was a singer - Period.
    Something like this could start a precedent that could become foolish & end up diminishing the honor of flags flown at half mast.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I think it's ridiculous to fly flags at half mast over the death of Whitney Huston.
    She was a great singer, famous, & tremendously talented, although so much of her talent was wasted by her. But she didn't serve her country/state/city/community in the military, in public office, or even in any major charity work. She was a singer - Period.
    Something like this could start a precedent that could become foolish & end up diminishing the honor of flags flown at half mast.

I think that was the general concern: that it could set a precedent where it became difficult to decide for whom the flag would be flown at half-mast.

I may be wrong, but I think the stadium flag at Target Stadium was flown at half-mast for Harmon Killebrew's memorial there, but that's a little different. It wasn't flown at half staff everywhere, and he actually did quite a bit beyond playing ball--he ran a golf tournament that raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for leukemia research in honor of a teammate who died of leukemia in the 1970s, he worked for the Miracle Fields organization that builds accessible baseball diamonds for kids who otherwise can't play baseball/softball, and he was an advocate for hospice care. Besides, he was pretty much the face of the Twins organization in the 1960s and 1970s and was a genuinely nice person who took time with the fans--and he hit 573 homeruns on chocolate malts and cheeseburgers as opposed to steroids.

Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter dies at age 57 - ESPN New York

Rest in Peace "Kid". Loved Gary and that head full of curly hair. Seemed like a great guy. He will be missed.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

As you might guess from my username, it is a very sad day. We have known for some time that Gary was very sick, and we were expecting this. Still, it is very sad. I remember the day the Mets finalized the deal for him in 1984. He was the final piece to the puzzle--two years later they would be world champs. And in that World Series, the Mets were down by two runs in the bottom of the 10th inning, down three games to two and facing elimination. Gary Carter stepped to the plate and got a single, sparking a rally that would lead to one of the most memorable wins in Mets history. Gary was a devoted family man and deeply rooted in his faith in Jesus. May God rest his soul. Thanks for all of the memories, Kid.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    As you might guess from my username, it is a very sad day. We have known for some time that Gary was very sick, and we were expecting this. Still, it is very sad. I remember the day the Mets finalized the deal for him in 1984. He was the final piece to the puzzle--two years later they would be world champs. And in that World Series, the Mets were down by two runs in the bottom of the 10th inning, down three games to two and facing elimination. Gary Carter stepped to the plate and got a single, sparking a rally that would lead to one of the most memorable wins in Mets history. Gary was a devoted family man and deeply rooted in his faith in Jesus. May God rest his soul. Thanks for all of the memories, Kid.

I am a big fan too - I was at the 1986 World Series and it was one of the best times of my life. Gary was one of my favorites. It is a sad day - he left us too soon. Prayers for his family. We love you Kid Rest in peace....

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Does anyone happen to know if other celebrities have gotten the half mast honor before in their states?
    The article I read tonight said that they also flew the flag at half-staff when Clarence Clemons (Bruce Springsteen's band member) died. msnbc.com Entertainment - NJ governor doesn't back down on flag honor for Whitney Houston

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    The article I read tonight said that they also flew the flag at half-staff when Clarence Clemons (Bruce Springsteen's band member) died. msnbc.com Entertainment - NJ governor doesn't back down on flag honor for Whitney Houston
    Is this just a NJ thing then? Or do other states give celebrities the half mast honor too?

I am glad that some people will be happy by seeing Whitney recognized; and I am saddened that anyone would be hurt by it. Good thoughts
    You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I agree with you. I dont think she is gay, why cant women have really great and close friendships
    As can men. In any case, I continue to believe that anyone's sexual orientation is his or her own business oloy.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread