+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree799Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

I thought Jennifer did a great job at the Grammys and commend her for performing it as well as she did. It was very heartfelt, of course emotional, and a fitting tribute for someone who died just the day before. Bigger and more elaborate tributes are sure to follow in the weeks and months ahead, but for a last minute scramble, it was beautifully done. I also really liked the prayer by LL Cool J at the beginning of the show.

Whitney meant a lot to a lot of people and as someone who've been a fan since childhood, I'm glad her accomplishments are being lauded. Naturally, much emphasis will be put on her addiction and the effects it had on her life and career. However, many chose to focus on the days when her voice soared and no one could touch her. A vocal ability comparable to none. That is the Whitney this fan will always remember.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I thought Jennifer Hudson did a wonderful job - she didn't try to out-sing the Whitney original, but opted to do a respectful tribute. I am not a particular fan of hers but I commend her for her performance. It was moving and dignified. One of the better "memorials" I have ever seen.
    I do not know how she did that dry-eyed. Fantastic!

FORT Fogey

I thought the Grammys handled Whitney's death very appropriately. They paid her a decent tribute without letting it overwhelm the show or the loss of others in the music industry in the past year (or even in the past month). I was afraid it might get overdone, which I felt would have been unfair to the people winning Grammys that night, who had every right to be happy. But they did a good job of balancing the happiness of the night's winners with the recent loss of Whitney and others.

Did anyone else notice the two people sitting there texting when everyone else was on their feet for Glen Campbell at the end of his performance? I wanted to reach through the screen and smack them. It's not that I'm a huge Glen Campbell fan, but most people in the music industry ought to know by now that the man has Alzheimer's, he's on his farewell tour, and he's not likely to be performing at the Grammys ever again. Plus, three of his kids work with him so they were up there on stage with them and Campbell was receiving a lifetime achievement award. What he and his family is going through, and will be going through, is very sad. Put down your phones, get up off your butts, and help give him and his family a happy memory to share while Glen can still appreciate it and so his family can remember it fondly long after he cannot. I mean, what's it going to cost you? A whole minute of your time? Whoever you're texting can wait.

I didn't see them texting, but nothing surprises me anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I didn't see them texting, but nothing surprises me anymore
    I am so sick of people texting constantly... give it a rest!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I am so sick of people texting constantly... give it a rest!
    It also drives some performers nuts if people are texting during performances, because all the little lit up screens in the audience are distracting--and it's irritating to realize that while they're on stage doing their best to be entertaining their audience, some people in that audience are so busy texting about the performance to friends who aren't there that they can't fully engage in it themselves--and a fully engaged audience can really lift a performance for everyone involved, including the performers.

It's just weird. It's like people aren't sure they're having an experience unless they confirm it by texting about it to someone else. Good grief, you're at the Grammys. Enjoy the ride and tell other people about it later.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You know, with the descriptions of her bizarre behaviors, that has led me to wonder if Whitney has not been self-medicating some mental illness(-es) over the years. At this sad point, nothing would surprise me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Stacy Francis Calls Thursday Run-In With Whitney Houston A 'Misunderstanding' - Yahoo! Newsthis just gets even more crazy, Apparently Whitney and Stacy Francis(X Factor) got into it on Thursday over of all things, Ray J. Whitney saw them speaking on thursday and came over to them and started screaming at the two of them.wow.
    Last edited by MsDiva2007; 02-14-2012 at 12:46 AM.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    You know, with the descriptions of her bizarre behaviors, that has led me to wonder if Whitney has not been self-medicating some mental illness(-es) over the years. At this sad point, nothing would surprise me.
    It wasn't just Bobby, or the drugs There was definitely something not right. I think she has been unwell for some time.

Going to you tube and hearing her voice at its best( sigh) just sigh..

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    It wasn't just Bobby, or the drugs There was definitely something not right. I think she has been unwell for some time.
    You're so right, not Bobby, not drugs..but probably the real culprit is Fame. Look at how many truly talented people have died earlier than necessary. I don't think the average human being is set up for that kind of extreme adulation, indulgance and want for nothing.
    We think "having it all" is what makes us happy but maybe it's the "trying to have it" that makes life interesting and fulfilling. (I'm trying not to use that overworked Bachelor word: Journey)

+ Reply to Thread