+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree807Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: Rest In Peace.

I thought the Grammy production handled the tribute to Whitney very well throughout the show, including Jennifer Hudson's dramatic rendition of the song. I felt as though she were singing directly to Whitney.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Not for me. I cant stomach Dolly , I dont think there is a mean bone in her now little body, but that song and her( ugh) for me
    I don't care one way or the other for the Dolly image, but I like that she wrote and sang that song, it just sounds tender to me. Just a tidbit - she said she wrote it for Porter Wagoner when she was leaving his show and going out on her own. Music trivia
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I thought the Grammy production handled the tribute to Whitney very well throughout the show, including Jennifer Hudson's dramatic rendition of the song. I felt as though she were singing directly to Whitney.
    Yes. So did I.I am sure there will be a movie about Whitney's life, Jennifer should play her.

I don't care one way or the other for the Dolly image, but I like that she wrote and sang that song, it just sounds tender to me. Just a tidbit
    I think Dolly is a big talent as a writer

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

"Lover for Life" was my all-time Whitney favorite....and it was a "B-side" song.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My favorite Whitney houston song is "I have nothing" from the bodyguard, over the years, I feel its become one of her greatest and undderrated songs she has ever sung. I also love "I wanna run to you" My earliest memories that I can recall are "How will I know" and "I wanna dance with somebody" gosh I remember every girl wanting to be her. I also loved "I"m your baby tonight" and "Saving all my love for you" "Exhale, shoop shoop" She was so pretty in that video and sang that song so good.

"my love is your love" is a great song as well.

I thought Jennifer Hudson did a wonderful job - she didn't try to out-sing the Whitney original, but opted to do a respectful tribute. I am not a particular fan of hers but I commend her for her performance. It was moving and dignified. One of the better "memorials" I have ever seen.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Sorry to double-post - tap-a-talk doesn't do edits - but I also believe Jennifer was a better choice than Dolly. Dolly is awesome but if she sang her version of the song, regardless of personal taste preferences, it wouldn't really work as a tribute. Also, regardless of who wrote it, it was Whitney's signature song. No disrespect to Dolly & I doubt it would occur to her to have been the song's performer in this situation.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    It's good that it was handled well on such short notice. I've not watched the Grammy's in years (maybe two decades, actually), but I remember it's usually well done. Such a tragic ending for someone with so much potential - I hope a lot of up-and-coming musicians/fame wannabe's out there will learn something from this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I hope you are right SugarMama, but sadly I doubt they will notice .Not her death, the reasons.The sad thing for me was the last time we saw her, was a little video clip from a cellphone, and she appeared happy. How many prescriptions did she have, that seems to be a huge thing. The doctors that supply any pill these Stars require should be questioned imho.

Her daughter is so distraught, I heard she was in hospital twice.

Jennifer does nothing for me as singer. I find her unremarkable and I found her rendition, boring. I got nothing out of it as she put very little into it. Imo. It should have been done by someone with some more credible vocals. I would have perferred one of the gospel Diva's. Yolanda Adams or Kelly Price. Someone who stirs the soul.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread