+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Did not like Jennifer singing. It was nothing special. It needed to be done by someone else. Patti, Mary J,Mariah, anyone other than JHud. I just never see any real connection to the songs when she sings. She just sings. I have seem better versions of this done by lounge singers. Not impressed. I hope at a later date Ms Whitney gets a true tribute with someone singing with some true feeling.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I remember Whitney when she first hit it big. Everything about her was stunning: Her looks; her voice; her presence. You couldn't help but pay attention, even if it was just on a cassette tape.
    She threw it all away. All by her own chosing. I just don't comprehend that.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    With all of these stars dying MJ, Amy, Whitney etc.... I told my hsuband I can see Madonna outliving them all at 95 still dancing up a storm... little old Italian lady. Say what you will about her, she seems to have her self together when it comes to substances. She is full of herself, but maybe in this industry that is the way to be.
    Your post made me giggle. I could see Madonna living to such an age and still having the younger boyfriends. Think she'd date guys in their 50's by then or will she not be done with guys in their 40's yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama
    Whitney performed it well, tis true. But in my opinion, the lady who wrote it performed it best - Dolly Parton - still can bring a tear
    I do prefer Dolly's version too, but no matter who sings it, that song always brings a tear to my eye.

JHud was OK during her tribute, but the beginning was just weird. I'd never realized that she doesn't enunciate very well. Some of the sounds coming out of her mouth sounded almost like blowing. Granted she didn't have much time to prepare and it was probably very emotional but still....
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    He should have done it sooner, but TMZ is reporting that he is skipping the concert that he was supposed to do tonight and heading out to be with Bobbi Kristina.
    I dated a entertainment Attorney. I can tell you those contracts for concerts have a clause in them that states if all members of a group do not appear then they void the contract. So Bobby Brown was contractually obligated to appear or his band members would not get paid either. It may have taken him until today to finally get some sort of arrangement made so that the others did not lose their paychecks because of him. The entertainment industry is harsh. I am just glad that Bobbi Kristina is with her father and rest of her family now,poor thing.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I, also, prefer Dolly singing that song but maybe because I heard it do it long before Whitney.
    And the "screaming Whitney" was like nails on a chalkboard for me. Otherwise, very few could come even close to having such a beautiful voice.
    It's sad to think that the little girl, who was so close to her family, sung in church, got married to such a creep. I'll always hold Bobbie Brown somewhat accountable for her downfall. I know she was an adult and chose this lifestyle of drugs and partying and he didn't force her but still.......
    So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I, also, prefer Dolly singing that song but maybe because I heard it do it long before Whitney.
    And the "screaming Whitney" was like nails on a chalkboard for me. Otherwise, very few could come even close to having such a beautiful voice.
    It's sad to think that the little girl, who was so close to her family, sung in church, got married to such a creep. I'll always hold Bobbie Brown somewhat accountable for her downfall. I know she was an adult and chose this lifestyle of drugs and partying and he didn't force her but still.......
    So sad.
    I have to disagree with this if you do a little research you will find she was having some issues before Bobby. Clive Davis gave her a talking to about getting her act together. It was about the time the rumours of her being attracted to her female assistant came out. Once that broke she quickly married Bobby Brown some say to distract from the rumours of being gay. I don't know. I know that stories about that she was a project for Clive Davis cleaning her up and making her classy. I know she was having some issues and he wanted her to settle down. So she married Bobby Brown and two people with issues was not a good match.

I doubt she died from drugs it looks to me like she was tired from all the weeks activities decided to take a bath and drowned after she fell asleep. Its to bad because she was full of talent but I think she had some issues she never addressed with herself to make her truly a happy individual.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think drugs had something to do with her death and I don't think anything will convince me that they didn't. There are accounts from people who saw her the night before she died and she was drinking heavily and partying late into the night. People who saw her Thursday night said she reeked of cigarettes and alcohol. They didn't find - that we know of - illegal drugs in the hotel room, but they did find prescription drugs. Drug abuse is drug abuse, whether it's crank or whether it's oxycodone.

If she did drown in the bathtub, then she had to be unconscious, not just tired. If you're sober, even if you're absolutely exhausted, you'd wake up when your head or face goes under water.

They did find some amount of water in her lungs. Who knows if she drowned or not. I wouldn't be surprised if she had a heart attack, a stroke or a seizure of some kind. She'd been abusing her body for many years. At some point, it just gives out.

I feel terribly sad for her daughter. From everything I've seen - which really is just that horrid reality show and then pics of her in the last few years behaving badly in public - she never really was parented. I hope someone can step in and give her some stability and get her on the right road.

What is really boils down to is what a terrible waste this was and it's even more tragic because it likely could have been prevented.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yep. Drugs: Whitney Houston Cause Of Death -- Family Told She Died From Prescription Drugs, Not Drowning | TMZ.com

Whitney Houston's family was told by L.A. County Coroner officials ... the singer did not die from drowning, but rather from what appears to be a combination of Xanax and other prescription drugs mixed with alcohol ... this according to family sources.

We're told Coroner's officials informed the family there was not enough water in Whitney's lungs to lead to the conclusion that she drowned.

Our sources say the family was told Whitney may well have died before her head became submerged.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I hate deaths that are avoidable, such as the case when people die from self-destructive behaviors. I have a hard time understanding how people who have more than the average person--more money, more talent, more adulation, etc--could be so unhappy. Even if celebrity isn't all you thought it would be, when you have so much, it opens up choices for you. She didn't have to remain a singer all her life if that no longer brought her happiness. I don't know what leads people to think they'll be happier by doing drugs. To me, just the thought of being controlled by a substance is scary enough to make me never want to try taking drugs.

I don't blame Bobby Brown for Whitney's shattered life. Ultimately, she chose the path she took and if she put pleasing him above taking care of herself, that's on her, not him.

I liked Whitney the most when she first came out. She had a beautiful voice and didn't overdo the runs in her songs. With each album, she started doing more shrieking, more vocal athletics and I grew to like her singing less and less.

Personally, I can't stand I Will Always Love You. It doesn't matter who sings it, I just don't like the song.

I'm not sure what I would pick as my favorite song of hers. Definitely something from her first album--You Give Good Love, Take Good Care Of My Heart, All At Once, Hold Me, How Will I Know, Saving All My Love For You. To me, that's when she was in her prime and when I think of her, that's the Whitney I want to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Whitney performed it well, tis true. But in my opinion, the lady who wrote it performed it best - Dolly Parton - still can bring a tear

dolly parton I will always love you original - YouTube
    Not for me. I cant stomach Dolly , I dont think there is a mean bone in her now little body, but that song and her( ugh) for me

+ Reply to Thread