+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree722Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Aw, I always loved his character on M*A*S*H. RIP, Mr. Morgan.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

Three years ago, I heard Mike Farrell at a book signing and back then he said Harry might have slowed down a step or two but he was still as sharp as ever.

If you can live into your nineties and still be as sharp as ever, you have indeed had a blessed life.

I'd also like to point out that he had not one, but two, extremely successful television series, since he also co-starred with Jack Webb on Dragnet in the 1960s.

FORT Fogey

I just read a short obit for Harry Morgan. Not only was he in over a 100 movies, including films like High Noon and The Glen Miller Story, plus the two extremely successful television series, but he was married to his first wife until her death, forty-six years after their marriage. He's survived by kids, grandkids, and his second wife.

If you can manage all that work in Hollywood, and still have two successful marriages--his first wife died in the late eighties, so I'm assuming even his second marriage may have run for a decade or more too, though the article didn't indicate when he remarried--that's a tremendous accomplishment.

Such sad news. He will be missed.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fogey

The New York Times on-line has a nice article about Harry Morgan. Among other things, they answered my question--he was married twenty-five years to his second wife, to whom he was married when he died. Forty-six years to his first wife and twenty-five to his second is pretty remarkable, especially in Hollywood.

The article also mentioned that the photograph of Potter's wife Mildred was actually a photo of his first wife, and Potter's horse, Sophie, was one of Morgan's own quarter horses. Morgan also said out of all the roles he played in a very long career, Col. Potter was his absolute favorite.

I always loved Harry Morgan. His real name was actually Henry Morgan, but there was a comedian who already had that name, so he changed it. I remember Harry Morgan first from two early sitcoms, "December Bride" and its spinoff, "Pete and Gladys." Then I saw him do dramatic roles so very well. If I remember correctly, he was the judge in "Inherit the Wind."

He will be missed.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I always loved Harry Morgan. His real name was actually Henry Morgan, but there was a comedian who already had that name, so he changed it.
    According to the NY Times, his real name was Harry Bratsburg.

I loved Harry Morgan. I remember watching him on Dragnet, and I thought he was perfect as Col. Potter in M*A*S*H, replacing McLean Stevenson.

Abe Vigota still lives

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    According to the NY Times, his real name was Harry Bratsburg.

I loved Harry Morgan. I remember watching him on Dragnet, and I thought he was perfect as Col. Potter in M*A*S*H, replacing McLean Stevenson.
    That makes total sense and I did not read his bio, but I do remember him being billed as Henry Morgan early in his career before he was told to change it because of the conflict. They used to do that a lot back in the day.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    That makes total sense and I did not read his bio, but I do remember him being billed as Henry Morgan early in his career before he was told to change it because of the conflict. They used to do that a lot back in the day.
    Oh, yeah...that's why MacGyver was played by Richard Dean Anderson...Richard Anderson had already registered his name :-)

+ Reply to Thread