+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree524Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    This is terrible news. The Westboro people have announced that they are going to protest at Steve Job's funeral. The ironic twist: they announced that they would protest using Twitter from an iPhone.
    Westboro Baptist Church uses iPhone to announce protest at Steve Jobs’s funeral - Under God - The Washington Post
    I'm sure they don't even know the definition of the word "irony." I hope that, as with other recent WBC protests, there will be a counter-protest.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm sure they don't even know the definition of the word "irony." I hope that, as with other recent WBC protests, there will be a counter-protest.
    Are we sure the twitter protest via I-phone isn't a joke? It just sounds too clever a comment/tactic for that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Are we sure the twitter protest via I-phone isn't a joke? It just sounds too clever a comment/tactic for that group.
    Always possible, but the Post story had an interview with that Phelps woman (the daughter of the founder) and it sounded like they were legitimately planning to protest. I honestly think they are too stupid to see the irony. As I said, they need to stay relevant - and Steve Jobs is the person the entire country is talking about right now. They had to insert themselves somehow - even their reason for protesting sounds ridiculous and like they are really reaching.

Bunch of dumb idiots, ruining the sanctity of other people's privacy and grief.
    (I have better words to describe them but FORT prefers I don't use them.)

Fort Member

So, lets see if I have this right
    God gave Steve Jobs the idea and ability to make the technology WBC could use to spout their views, as apparently God wanted Steve to make it just for them and for no other reason
    But because Steve didnt use his technology to spout the views himself we will protest his funeral and use his technology to let everyone know what we are doing because thats what is was designed to do
    O and while we are at it send a twitter message to Steve via and Iphone telling him he is in hell, even though he listened to god and invented something just for them
    Obviously they think that your going to have have access to Twitter in hell, while I dont despute this as I think most of us can agree it is evil, why are they using it?

I am confused.
    These people are nuts and this is purely a publicity stunt

FORT Fogey

Forgive me, but what did Jobs do to tick them off? Did he donate money to the wrong cause? Espouse (in their opinion) the wrong religious/ethical views? Was he gay (I use his technology all the time, but I know virtually nothing about the man himself)?

Or do they just not care as long as it's an opportunity to get on camera?

Fort Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Forgive me, but what did Jobs do to tick them off? Did he donate money to the wrong cause? Espouse (in their opinion) the wrong religious/ethical views? Was he gay (I use his technology all the time, but I know virtually nothing about the man himself)?

Or do they just not care as long as it's an opportunity to get on camera?
    From what I gather from the article, they claim that God used Steve Jobs to create amazing stuff for WBC, but then he gave God no Glory for it and taught sin

Its a huge stretch just to get publicity

FORT Fogey

Okay, not to belabor the point, but how in the world would they know if Steve Jobs gave God no glory for what he created? I mean, I don't know if he did or not, but it's completely possible to thank God for something without making it public knowledge. Considering everything he was responsible for and how wealthy he was, it seems to me that Steve Jobs kept a relatively low profile and may have deliberately chosen to keep whatever his religious beliefs/practices were (or weren't) private. It's not like he was in the news every five minutes, and so far as I know, God doesn't require public acknowledgement of his/her blessings. The fact that they seem to is immaterial.

As for teaching sin, really? He created a bunch of tools. What others then chose to do with those tools is not really up to him. That's like blaming Eastman-Kodak, because people used cameras and film to take dirty pictures.

They sound like a church choir director I had very briefly who told the entire choir that if someone paid the choir a compliment after church by saying he/she had enjoyed the anthem, it was inappropriate to say "thank you," because that was taking credit for what God had created and that we should say, "Praise God!" instead. All I could think was that if we did that, we'd probably completely confuse the person who had paid the compliment in the first place. Besides, I always thought the "thank you" in that case was acknowledging the other person's kindness in paying the compliment and was thus not self-aggrandizing at all.

And I think you have exactly narrowed in on why these people are idiots, Tilden. I understood their logic (although strongly disagreed with it) for protesting the soldiers - and even Elizabeth Taylor. There really is no legitimate reason to protest Steve Jobs, based on their reasons for protesting before and what they say they stand for. But he is in the news, and they need to insert themselves somehow. It would be laughable if it wasn't so offensive - especially to his family and friends.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Some people just take things entirely too seriously, thus they can become quite boring, WBC.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread