+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree799Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

FORT Fogey

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    It certainly is. These were the men who played for the love of the game. I'm a lifelong Yankees fan, but I can appreciate and celebrate the talent of a gifted player from any team -- yes, even the Red Sox -- because I love the game itself.
    It's a real tribute to Killebrew that since his death, the responses to the many articles written from him have often come from fans of teams whose pitching staffs had to face him. He was respected not just for his power but for the fact that he treated everyone--teammates, opponents, fans--cordially and with respect. He was especially good at taking new players under his wing. Burt Blyleven said he really appreciated the fact that Killebrew treated him like an equal immediately, even though Blyleven was an 18 year old rookie, and Tony Olivia, with whom Harmon was a close friend for fifty years, said he was immediately friendly with him too, despite the fact that Olivia barely spoke English at all when he joined the Twins and Killebrew spoke no Spanish.

I think it's particularly telling that the grounds crew at the new Target field decided on their own to take a photograph of Killebrew from the 1960s, showing him winding up to take a swing at a ball, encased it in plastic, and slipped it under home plate, where it will remain for the rest of the season. They didn't tell management or anyone with the Twins organization, and when they found out after the fact, they respected the decision of the grounds crew, because Killebrew always went out of his way to know everyone at the ballpark, including the grounds crew.

They've also emblazoned an outfield fence with his signature, because he actually practiced his signature so his autograph would be absolutely clear (and it is a lovely signature). Several younger players, including current players, have stepped forward and said that Killebrew was constantly on them about improving their signatures, because he felt that if people stood in line to get your autograph, then it should be clear enough for them to read easily. He did it kindly, as he did everything, but he made an impression. Michael Cuddyer said the only reason he now has a legible signature is Harmon Killebrew (who also dated every signature, which I appreciated).

TMZ is reporting that Randy "Macho Man" Savage (WWF) died in a car accident this morning in Florida. Officials are still not sure of the cause. He was 58.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

Here's an update on Randy Savage, Critical.

Wrestling Icon 'Macho Man' Randy Savage Dies in Car Accident | PopEater.com

Wrestling legend, snack pitchman and actor "Macho Man" Randy Savage died Friday in Seminole, Florida after losing control of his car while suffering a heart attack, his brother tells TMZ. Lanny Poffo says his brother was behind the wheel around 10 AM when the accident occurred. He was 58.

The Florida Highway Patrol later told the website that Savage and his wife, Lynn, were driving their Jeep Wrangler when the car veered across a concrete median, rushed through oncoming traffic and "collided head-on with a tree."

Savage was taken to Largo Medical Center where he died, and Lynn was rushed to a different hospital, but survived with minor injuries. According to officials, both were wearing their seat belts and alcohol is not suspected. An investigation is underway.

The couple had just celebrated their 1-year anniversary...
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

My husband's godparents used to live in Belleair Bluffs, Florida about 12 years ago. They used to tell stories of walking into the local grocery store to find Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage trying to shop, but spending more time stopping to sign autographs and take pictures with kids.

Tragic way to die.

RIP Macho Man. Oooh yeah!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Thanks, Kiz The TMZ article I read said they weren't sure yet if he'd hard a heart attack, but it was one of the possibilities. So sad. He was just much too young. I'm so glad his wife wasn't killed in the accident.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've never followed or been a fan of entertainment wrestling, but everyone knows who the Macho Man was.
    R.I.P. I hope his wife gets well soon too.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Kiz

I'm so sad to hear this news but not surprised after the reports from yesterday that his life support was being removed.

Report: Jeff Conaway Dead at 60 | PopEater.com

'Grease' actor Jeff Conaway died Friday at age 60, RadarOnline.com reports and The Hollywood Reporter confirms. The news comes just a day after reports that the star would be taken off life support.

Radar calls it "the end a long, sad road of addiction that made him one of Hollywood's cautionary tales." Conaway, known for his roles as Bobby Wheeler on 'Taxi' and T-Bird Kenickie in 1978's iconic 'Grease,' was a New York native who battled substance abuse for much of his career.

Conaway was checked into an LA hospital on May 11. As of May 26, he was reported to have been experiencing no brain activity. A source told Radar that Conaway's feeding tube had been removed as of Thursday afternoon and that "Jeff is in no pain whatsoever."

Conaway rocketed to fame in 1978 with his starring role in 'Grease' and in the same year began a three-year run on 'Taxi.' Roles dried up in the 1980s as his addictions worsened, but Conaway later found steady work on the sci-fi hit 'Babylon 5.'

Conaway, who had no children, was married twice -- once to Olivia Newton-John's sister Rona from 1980 to 1985, and again to Kerri Young in 1990.

In 2008, a disheveled and unhealthy Conaway joined celebrity doctor Drew Pinsky's VH1 show, 'Celebrity Rehab,' to address his addiction to drugs and alcohol. Sadly, his sobriety attempt failed and last year, the actor was injured in a fall while under the influence of OxyContin and methadone.

This time, in May of 2011, it was originally reported that Conaway was hospitalized due to a prescription drug overdose, but Pinsky later said the star was suffering from pneumonia and sepsis, a dangerous blood infection. Pinsky tweeted on May 21, "We all need to pray for him. Not doing well today suddenly."

Earlier this year, Conaway and on-and-off-again girlfriend Victoria Spinoza filed restraining orders against each other. The night before Conaway was hospitalized, Spinoza paid him a visit that ignited controversy within the star's family.

Conaway's sister, Carla Shreve, filed a May 18 restraining order against Spinoza, alleging that after a recent breakup, Conaway feared for his life.

"He had just secured an apartment ... and was calling friends and family anxious to start this part of his life without her," reads Shreve's restraining order request, obtained by PEOPLE.

The magazine calls Conaway's rocky relationship with Spinoza "volatile," noting restraining orders each filed against the other earlier in 2011. Spinoza's friend and spokesperson, Aubry Fisher, tells PEOPLE Spinoza cared for Conaway for seven years and deems the new restraining order "horrible and wrong."

"When Vikki went to visit Jeff in the hospital, she sat by his side," Fisher said, referencing the day before the restraining order went through. "They were in the process of reconciling."
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

such a shame.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    My husband's godparents used to live in Belleair Bluffs, Florida about 12 years ago. They used to tell stories of walking into the local grocery store to find Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage trying to shop, but spending more time stopping to sign autographs and take pictures with kids.

Tragic way to die.

RIP Macho Man. Oooh yeah!

Was so shocked to hear this news. Always loved Randy Savage....I remember the days of Savage and Sensational Sherry...sadly, now they're both gone.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

There's a nice interview with Marilu Henner about Jeff Conaway available on-line now. She and Jeff were close friends, and she said the Taxi family itself is very close and that both she and Tony Danza were visiting him nearly daily in the hospital.

It's nice to know that the casts of some shows remain supportive of each other long after the show is over, especially when situations become difficult.

+ Reply to Thread