+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree814Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Rest In Peace.

First female Vice-Presidential candidate, Geraldine Ferraro dies at 75.

First VP candidate Geraldine Ferraro dies at 75 - Yahoo! News

Kiz

I had no idea Geraldine Ferraro had been sick for so long. Prayers to her family.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

RIP, Ms. Ferraro.

You sure paved the way for a lot of women after you.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Rest In Peace, Ms. Ferraro. Thank you for your service to our country.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    This is true in some respects - the press was definitely more respectful and there weren't so many media outlets - but the Debbie/Eddie/Liz scandal was HUGE news back in the day. In Carrie Fisher's one woman show, she likened the whole scandal to Jennifer, Brad and Angelina. Liz and her love life were fodder for the tabloids BIG time. There were movie rags then just like there are now. No, we didn't see pics of Liz picking up coffee and getting her paper, but her love life was still news all the time.

I think the difference between those stars and the stars of today is simple: talent. Sure, there were actresses like Jane Mansfield, but more often the big stars were gorgeous, glamorous and great actors as well. Now, for every Charlize Theron, there's a Megan Fox.
    Her falling for Richard Burton on the set of Cleopatra was also very big news, since they were both married at the time. Given that it was the second time she'd had a very public affair, it was a huge deal. I believe she was married to Eddie Fisher, who divorced Debbie Reynolds to marry her, at the time. I think Burton was still married to his wife Sybil, but since she wasn't well known in the U.S., the U.S. press was less interested in covering her. It didn't help any that Cleopatra went hugely over budget and turned out to be a pretty big financial flop. In fact, many Burton/Taylor films did less well than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    First female Vice-Presidential candidate, Geraldine Ferraro dies at 75.

First VP candidate Geraldine Ferraro dies at 75 - Yahoo! News
    Oh, I was so sorry to see this. What a great woman, who retained her dignity during her political career, not somthing that happens very often.
    I was so touched reading that she held on until all her family was with her before dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Her falling for Richard Burton on the set of Cleopatra was also very big news, since they were both married at the time. Given that it was the second time she'd had a very public affair, it was a huge deal. I believe she was married to Eddie Fisher, who divorced Debbie Reynolds to marry her, at the time. I think Burton was still married to his wife Sybil, but since she wasn't well known in the U.S., the U.S. press was less interested in covering her. It didn't help any that Cleopatra went hugely over budget and turned out to be a pretty big financial flop. In fact, many Burton/Taylor films did less well than expected.

I guess one thing you can say about Liz is that she married the men she had affairs with as opposed to what happens in today's time. Although I don't really know which is worse: Having numerous failed marriages or lots of doomed affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    That woman truly represented the face of AIDS and advocated for the LGBT community. She stood up for her long time friends, Montgomery Clift and Rock Hudson, at a time when homosexuality was so frowned upon and misunderstood. What a lady!

I remember when I was really, really young and my grandmother took my sister and I to see Butterfield 8. My grandmother carried her omnipresent shopping bag with her, out of which she pulled hamburgers for my sister and me. She then proclaimed how she loved that Butterfield 8 was a real family movie!!
    We always wondered if my beloved grandmother was extremely naive, or just had the greatest sense of humor ever!

RIP, Ms. Taylor, you were truly one of a kind.
    I heard that that one Baptist church that hates gays is planning to protest her funeral because of her work with AIDS I hope someone can do something to prevent it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The funeral is over. It was held the day after she died, in keeping with Jewish tradition.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    The funeral is over. It was held the day after she died, in keeping with Jewish tradition.
    Oh, that quick, well at least those nutjobs from the Westboro Baptist Church didn't have a chance to ruin it. Still their tweets were horrible.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread