+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree814Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    What surprised me was that the news said Liz Taylor was only 79 yrs old, I thought she had been around much longer.
    Maybe because she was so young when she got into the business - only 10. She's always seemed older to me because her many health problems aged her so much. She had very little mobility in the last 10 years.

I was sad (although not surprised) to hear of her passing. I hope she's at peace now.

No leading film actress today, not even Angelina Jolie, can claim to have an off-screen life as riveting, as tumultuous, and as entertaining. When people call Elizabeth Taylor the "last star," they speak of her as the final member in a glorious parade of personalities -- Gable, Cooper, Dietrich, Hepburn, Wayne, Tracy -- whose magnetism grew solely in dark rooms smelling like popcorn and illuminated on a big screen. No one could claim her place in that line now. No one should.
    Elizabeth Taylor: The 'Last Star' - CNN.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Maybe because she was so young when she got into the business - only 10. She's always seemed older to me because her many health problems aged her so much. She had very little mobility in the last 10 years.

I was sad (although not surprised) to hear of her passing. I hope she's at peace now.

Elizabeth Taylor: The 'Last Star' - CNN.com
    I thought she was younger, but I might be wrong. I remember seeing a baby picture of her and she was stunning as an infant.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Liz was the epitome of what a movie star used to be. She was a talented actress and in almost constant pain since her accident while filming National Velvet. Judging beauty is, of course, subjective, but she's at the top of my list for the most beautiful actress ever. Not many people know that she played Jane Eyre's friend, Helen, (the girl who died) in the original version of the movie. She was a loyal and devoted friend and gave her all for the things she believed in. She will be missed.

For those who haven't seen National Velvet, A Place in the Sun, Giant, Raintree County, Who's Afraid of Virginal Wolfe, Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, etc., I would recommend renting them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I thought she was younger, but I might be wrong. I remember seeing a baby picture of her and she was stunning as an infant.
    I'm pretty sure she didn't start acting until the was 10 (or maybe 9). She did National Velvet when she was 12 and she only started acting a few years before that. Maybe she modeled before that. ITA, she was a stunning child - and adult.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was surprised to read her bio and find out she was only 5'2"".
    She commanded such presence in that small frame!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I always thought she was the most beautiful woman who ever lived. Her looks were extraordinary......everything about her was perfect. Such high glamour that can't be found today.
    To me, her passing is like an end of an era........when movie stars were just that: STARS! Now, everybody is famous..or so it seems...and for no reason whatsoever.

FORT Fogey

I think the reason that the generational stars like Liz Taylor were so revered is because unlike stars of nowadays the acting had little special effects, and personal lives, other than basic stuff, was private. They were kept on a level above us because we did not see the everyday stuff like we do now. I am not saying that actors of today are not good, but actors back than were the centerpieces of the movies unlike all the computer animation and special effects of today.

Like the poster above, I thought she was well into her eighties. She seems to have been elderly for a long time now. I hope she is at peace now, and the sufferings she had at the end over.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

"...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Dorothy Young - Houdini's Stage Assistant - Dead at 103!!!

Harry Houdini died in 1926, his wife Bess died in 1943, but Dorothy stuck around for quite awhile!!

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/Dorothy Young, Houdiniís Stag
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    I think the reason that the generational stars like Liz Taylor were so revered is because unlike stars of nowadays the acting had little special effects, and personal lives, other than basic stuff, was private. They were kept on a level above us because we did not see the everyday stuff like we do now. I am not saying that actors of today are not good, but actors back than were the centerpieces of the movies unlike all the computer animation and special effects of today.
    This is true in some respects - the press was definitely more respectful and there weren't so many media outlets - but the Debbie/Eddie/Liz scandal was HUGE news back in the day. In Carrie Fisher's one woman show, she likened the whole scandal to Jennifer, Brad and Angelina. Liz and her love life were fodder for the tabloids BIG time. There were movie rags then just like there are now. No, we didn't see pics of Liz picking up coffee and getting her paper, but her love life was still news all the time.

I think the difference between those stars and the stars of today is simple: talent. Sure, there were actresses like Jane Mansfield, but more often the big stars were gorgeous, glamorous and great actors as well. Now, for every Charlize Theron, there's a Megan Fox.

+ Reply to Thread