+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree524Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

MRD

Re: Rest In Peace.

Don Kirschner died today at age 77. He brought us The Monkee's and Don Kirchner's Rock Concert which was one of the few venues for rock bands on television in the 1970's.

Sargent Shriver, husband of Eunice Kennedy Shriver, age 95 also passed today. Shriver was the first director of the Peace Corps and was the brother-in-law to President Kennedy, Senator Ted Kennedy and Senator/Attorney General/Presidential Candidate Robert Kennedy. He is also the father of Maria Shriver Schwarzenagger.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I hadn't seen the news about Sargent Shriver. He sure lived a long, full life.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

RIP, Mr. Shriver.
    You had to admire both he and Eunice - who passed not that long ago.

What legacies they left.

And I hadn't known of Kirchner's passing, too. I sure remember him fondly from my youth.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Kiz

This is a man who practiced what he preached. RIP Jack LaLanne.

Jack LaLanne, the fitness guru who inspired television viewers to trim down and pump iron for decades before exercise became a national obsession, died Sunday. He was 96.

LaLanne died of respiratory failure due to pneumonia Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay on California's central coast, his longtime agent Rick Hersh said.

Lalanne ate healthy and exercised every day of his life up until the end, Hersh said.
    FoxNews.com - Fitness Guru Jack LaLanne Dies at 96
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

WOW!!
    What an icon he was!
    I so remember him from my youth.
    I also remember that my Dad so incorporated Mr. LaLanne's philosophy. He, too, exercised daily, and ate healthy. I am thankful for the 2 of them.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember my great aunt, with whom I would stay after school, getting in front of the television and doing exercises with him. I found it hilarious!! I was in grades 2-4 when I stayed with her. She'd be grunting and straining, with her pearls on!!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 01-24-2011 at 04:24 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Now that's the best tribute I've heard to Mr. LaLanne yet! May he rest in peace. I, too, very much remember him from my youth.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

After suffering complications from a stroke in 2010, Gladys Horton of the Marvelettes fame died yesterday at a Sherman Oaks, Calif., nursing home where she was recovering, according to Reuters.
    As lead singer of the all-girl group, Horton belted the Marvelettes' first hit, 'Please Mr. Postman,' in 1961 when she was only 17 years old. The single was credited with being the first Motown hit to land on the pop charts -- a great feat for the label. Horton went on to sing lead vocals on tracks like 'Playboy,' 'Beechwood 4-5789' and 'Too Many Fish in the Sea.
    Count your blessings!

RIP, Ms. Horton,

I still have Please Mr. Postman on my MP3.
    Too many of these Motown singers are dying way too early.
    Very sad.

:
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4160999;
    I remember my great aunt, with whom I would stay after school, getting in front of the television and doing exercises with him. I found it hilarious!! I was in grades 2-4 when I stayed with her. She'd be grunting and straining, with her pearls on!!
    You have totally made me laugh with that image!!!
    My Dad told me my mom used to watch Jack lalane too , right after `The Galloping Gourmet' (fancy french cooking guy who was British). That's an interesting combo.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

+ Reply to Thread