+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legendary Jeff Healey Dead at 41

Legendary Jeff Healey Dead at 41

Jeff Healey and his band were phenomenal musicians. My thoughts go out to his wife and children. May he rest in peace.

Canadian blues guitarist Jeff Healey dies at 41

Legendary blues and jazz guitarist Jeff Healey has died, his publicist said Sunday. The Canadian musician had battled cancer his entire life.

Attachment 23572

Jeff Healey, of the Canadian based Jeff Healey Band, performs in New York's Central Park on July 1, 2000.

"It was something he fought with considerable bravery," his publicist, Richard Flohil, told Newsnet late Sunday.

Healey, 41, had lost his eyesight to a rare form of the disease, Retinoblastoma, at the age of one.

The musician had performed with such acclaimed guitar players as B. B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert Collins and George Harrison.

His full name was Norman Jeffrey Healey and he passed away Sunday in the city of his birth, Toronto, at St. Joseph's Hospital.

Healey first began playing guitar at the age of three and formed his first band while still a teenager, according to his website. He played with a very distinctive style, laying his guitar on his lap.

"Visually, Jeff was an intriguing player to watch, because he played guitar -- by any conventional standard -- all wrong, with it flat across his lap," said Flohil. "But he was remarkable, a virtuoso player."

One of his best-known songs, "Angel Eyes," came from the Grammy-nominated album See the Light.

His blues band, simply called the Jeff Healey Band, has sold more than 1 million albums in the United States. But along with rock and blues music, Healey was also an accomplished jazz musician.

In his final years he had hosted a jazz program on Jazz-FM in Toronto, playing rare tracks from his vast collection of more than 30,000 78-rpm records.

He had also been touring with a group called the Jazz Wizards, playing American jazz from the 1920s, 1930s and early 1940s.

They had been planning to perform a series of shows in Britain, German and Holland in April.

Healey leaves behind his wife, Cristie, 13-year-old daughter Rachel and three-year-old son Derek.

Canadian blues guitarist Jeff Healey dies at 41 : Top Stories : News : Sympatico / MSN
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Re: Legendary Jeff Healey Dead at 41

I'm so saddened by this. I loved him. My favorite song of all time by him has to be Angel Eyes. RIP Jeff.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

MRD

I was so sorry to hear this. I first heard of him in the movie Roadhouse and became a fan then.

RIP Jeff.

"If you believe in forever
    Then life is just a one-night stand
    If there's a rock and roll heaven well,
    you know they got a hell of a band ..."
    The Righteous Brothers
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

So sad. He was so young, too. Rest in Peace, Jeff.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

CCL

Too sad. At least he leaves behing a lasting legacy in his music. Hope his kids and wife, and family and friends are doing all right.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

A talented man...may he rest in peace!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I admit I cried when I heard the news this morning. I grew up with his music. What a tragic loss to music, and to his young family. RIP, Jeff.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Me too AJ. I have been feeling sad about it all morning. I was reading more about him in the news and apparently his young 3 year old son carries the gene marker for cancer like he did I really, really liked his music and thought his guitar playing was exceptional. What a loss, and my thoughts are with his family.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2822214;
    Me too AJ. I have been feeling sad about it all morning. I was reading more about him in the news and apparently his young 3 year old son carries the gene marker for cancer like he did I really, really liked his music and thought his guitar playing was exceptional. What a loss, and my thoughts are with his family.
    My daughter had kidney surgery when she was 5 and the little girl that she shared a room with had a form of retinal cancer. I spent a lot of time with the mom as she and I stayed at the hospital the whole time our kids were there. It was really sad. The little girl wasn't even 1 year old yet and was blind as well. I've always wondered over the ensuing 12 years what ever happened to them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

He was in the movie RoadHouse and did an awesome job.

It is sad that Patrick Swayze is now dying too

+ Reply to Thread