+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Fogelberg RIP

Dan Fogelberg RIP

Boy I hate to see this one. I loved his music.

Singer/songwriter Dan Fogelberg dies - USATODAY.com

Singer/songwriter Dan Fogelberg dies

Dan Fogelberg, one of the most popular singer/songwriters of the '70s and '80s, died Sunday at home in Maine at age 56. He had battled advanced prostate cancer since being diagnosed in 2004.
    Fogelberg was a key component of the golden age of the confessional singer/songwriter, joining the likes of James Taylor, Carole King, Jackson Browne and more in turning pop music's focus inward after the '60s' explosion of social commentary. He had started as a rocker in bands around his hometown of Peoria, Ill., but began performing solo while attending the University of Illinois.
    There he met a local booking agent, Irving Azoff. He and local band REO Speedwagon became Azoff's first managerial projects (prior to managing the Eagles). Azoff secured Fogelberg a contract with Columbia, but first album Home Free made little impact. 1974's Joe Walsh-produced Souvenirs, however, hit the top 20, thanks largely to hit single Part of the Plan, and Fogelberg embarked on a two-decade run that would include nine top-30 albums (including three that hit the top 10).
    His best-remembered songs include his biggest hit, the affecting ballad Longer; The Power of Gold, a collaboration with flautist Tim Weisberg; Leader of the Band, a tribute to his bandleader father, Lawrence; and the evergreen seasonal standard Same Old Lang Syne, which originally hit the top 10 in 1980.
    In later years, he ventured into new musical territory, recording a successful pure-bluegrass album, High Country Snows, in 1985, and tackling broader political, spiritual and environmental issues in his songs. His last album, Full Circle, was released in 2003.

MRD

Re: Dan Fogelberg RIP

Oh my god! I LOVED him, especially his early 70's stuff.

I used to get up and play "To the Morning" every single morning I was in college. It was the start to my day. Going to go play it now in memory.

RIP Dan, I LOVED your music.

ETA: I just found Twin Sons of Different Mothers that he did with Tim Weisberg. I had forgotten I even had that album.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

OMG...I'm sad too to read of his passing......."Same Old Lang Syne" , "Leader of the Band" and "Longer" were beautiful songs he performed....

From his official website: Link Here

Sunday, December 16

Dear friends,

Dan left us this morning at 6:00am . He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side. His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him.
    Leader of the Band:

I thank you for the music
    And your stories of the road
    I thank you for the freedom
    When it came my time to go --
    I thank you for the kindness
    And the times when you got tough
    And, pap, I dont think i
    Said i love you near enough --

The leader of the band is tired
    And his eyes are growing old
    But his blood runs through
    My instrument
    And his song is in my soul --

RIP
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Oh, how sad. I hadn't heard about this, but I loved him, too. My all-time favorite song was Same Old Lang Syne and we saw him perform once (perhaps a century ago ) at Mr. Rose's college on a small stage - just Dan and his acoustic guitar. He was glorious.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Aww, I hate to hear that. I hadn't heard he was ill, either. That was some great music back in the day...RIP, Dan.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

FORT Fanatic

So sad.....he had such a beautiful voice.

MRD

As I said before, I was more a fan of his earlier stuff.

I think I just about wore out "Home Free" and "The Innocent Age". Loved Run for the Roses on that album.
    I think "The Innocent Age" was probably the last album of his I bought. He kind of lost me after that one. But his early and mid 70's stuff was my favorite stuff of his. I listened to a lot of similar type music to his back then. Seals and Crofts, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Loggins and Messina.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What a shame. I wasn't a huge fan but it always sad to see the "old timers" fade away.

I always loved his music and was never ashamed to admit it. I wore out Innocent Age and used to listen to it on long road trips. Never could listen to this line without it bringing a tear to my eye:

"The leader of the band is tired, and his eyes are growing old. But his blood runs through my instrument, and his song is in my soul."

This news has made me unbelievably sad.

Very sad. Rest in peace, Mr. Fogleberg.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast