+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Fogelberg RIP

Re: Dan Fogelberg RIP

Oh dear!!!! My boyfriend just said something about this on the radio, so I've just learned of his passing. Dan was an amazing singer/songwriter and one of my all-time favorites. I loved all of his material. One of his Greatest Hits CD's would be a must-have in everyones CD collection. I didn't even know he was ill, so this shocks and saddens me deeply.

RIP Dan... You will truly be missed!

"Same Old Lang Syne" is on the radio right now.

Premium Member

I just now heard this news. I am beyond heartbroken. I have loved Dan Fogelberg since I first heard his Souvenirs album in 1974. I have every single thing he ever recorded - he was one of those few artists that I would buy his music without even hearing it because I knew I would love it. I had been following his website and was afraid this day would come but hoped he could beat this. He has been taken from us way too soon.

My favorite memory of him was a concert I attended in Omaha in 1997. He did an acoustic tour, so it was just him on stage alone with his guitar and piano. It was by far the best concert I ever attended, and I doubt that anything will ever measure up to that night as far as pure, simple, beautiful music. I'm going to miss him terribly.

I had no idea he was ill either. I loved The Innocent Age and used to play it over and over on the turntable in our living room.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Premium Member

I love Innocent Age. My other favorites are probably Souvenirs and Home Free. I know what I'll be listening to today.

Thank you for the freedom when it came my time to go. - "Leader of the Band"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2725160;
    I love Innocent Age. My other favorites are probably Souvenirs and Home Free. I know what I'll be listening to today.

Thank you for the freedom when it came my time to go. - "Leader of the Band"
    MB, that concert sounds beautiful. I wished I could have seen him live.

You are the only other person I know that even owns "Home Free". I think that's my very favorite album of his.

I've listend to "to the morning" about 10 times since yesterday. (actually "Leader of the Band was probably my least favorite of his)

I was going to put "to the morning" on my myspace page and I don't know how to do that. Anyone that can help me????
    Last edited by MRD; 12-17-2007 at 12:40 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

I saw him in concert twice, but the acoustic one was the most memorable. My other favorite (how could I forget this one...) is Captured Angel, especially the song Old Tennessee:

End of October
    The sleepy brown woods seem to
    Nod down their heads to the Winter
    Yellows and grays paint the sad skies today
    And I wonder when you're coming home
    Woke up one morning
    The wind through the window
    Reminded me winter was just 'round the bend
    Somehow I just did not see it was coming
    It took me by surprise again
    (Chorus)
    And I hear you're in San Francisco
    Living with your sister who's a mother to be
    And her husband's way down in Georgia
    And I'm still in old Tennessee...
    Wishing you'd come home to me

Life here is easy I'm sure you recall
    How it's so warm and breezy
    In the summer and the fall
    But winter's upon me
    And I've got no heat here
    And I miss your fire so sweet
    Dear I miss your fire so sweet
    (Chorus)
    End of October
    The sleepy brown woods seem to
    Nod down their heads to the winter
    Yellows and gray paint the sad skies today
    And I wonder when you're coming home
    I wonder when you're coming home
    I wonder when you're coming home

Here's the website that I've been following.

Dan Fogelberg ~ News
    Last edited by Marleybone; 12-17-2007 at 02:48 PM.

This is so sad. I loved his music, and remember singing along to Leader of the Band. I knew every word, and I was fairly young at the time it came out. I always enjoyed his music, and having lost my Dad at a young age to cancer, I really feel for his family. My heart goes out to them in such a difficult time.

Premium Member

If you type You Tube Dan Fogelberg in your browser window you will get a list of live performances, I just watched a cool video of Go Down Easy that I had never seen before. There is a live performance of Leader of the Band - he was sitting alone onstage in a chair with his guitar - reminded me of the acoustic concert I attended in '97. It was so poignant and beautiful it made me cry.

This loss has been especially hard to take.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

For me, as well. I first saw Dan when he was the opening act for the Eagles in the early to mid-70's. I didn't know who this guy was, but I just loved him. My first CD of his was "Souvenirs" - still one of my favorites of all time.

God bless you, Dan. You've given me more hours of pleasure and reflection than you could ever know.

Premium Member

Souvenirs was also my first introduction to Dan Fogelberg. I still love it as much as the first time I heard it back in 1974. I had all his albums in vinyl back then. Now I wish I would have kept them. I pretty much wore them out though. Innocent Age I had on cassette tape, wore that out too. I'm so glad I've got everything on CD now.

I've been playing his Christmas album The First Christmas Morning - it's a wonderful combination of vocals and intrumentals. Just beautiful. I highly recommend it if you can find it. It's been between that and the live concert album Greetings From the West these last couple of days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast