+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 1166 1234567891011511015011001 ... LastLast
Like Tree5270Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I hope it's okay to start this thread, if not and it's removed, no hard feelings. I often read tidbits, rumors, etc. about various celebrities but don't think it's worth clogging up the board with numerous threads about individuals but would still like to talk about something I've read, so I figure maybe a one-stop for all would be better?

We could talk about engagements and broken ones, marriages, divorces, births, deaths, etc. I chose the Movie thread because it's usually actors we talk about but musicians, artists, authors, sports stars, etc. could all fit here. Sometimes they are cross-entertainers anyway or married to someone in a different entertainment venue.

Anyway, what got me here today is the latest rumor that Brangelina will be married in Italy this weekend. My interest is not so much the wedding because I really don't care if they marry or not, but it made me wonder, if two American citizens get married in another country, is the marriage valid under U.S. law? What about citizens from other countries if they marry in the U.S. or some other locale outside their legal residency?

LG.
    I heard on the radio today that Demi Moore is pregnant, so Ashton Kutcher is going to be a daddy. Now she'll have 5 kids in tow (counting Mr. Punk'd, of course).

regarding your question about US citizens getting married in another country - if it is legal for them to get married in that country, then the US will recognize it as a legal marriage as long as it isn't against local law. A common example is the wedding-honeymoon vacations people plan to places in the Carribean and Mexico where a group of friends go down with you for the wedding and stick around to party. The bride and groom need to make sure that the local laws would allow non-residents to get married, and then they need to hire an officiant licensed in that jurisdiction, and voila, you come home from vacation married. Here in the US different states have different requirements for marriage. Many states require that at least one of the parties (bride or groom) be a legal resident of the state for at least x months before they will issue a marriage license. Other states (like Minnesota) have a "waiting period" that you can't execute the marriage license until 10 days after you've applied for it. Now Nevada has no residency requirements and no waiting period, which is why people can fly to Vegas and come home married. A number of foreign countries have figured out that there is good tourism money in adopting "Vegas rules" for marriage licenses, and voila - Americans can get married there.
    Last edited by LG.; 03-16-2006 at 07:00 PM.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

John Travolta is tapped to play J.R. Ewing in a Dallas movie. I like John but don't know if I can see him as J.R. I just saw what Larry Hagman thinks about it on Access Hollywood and he seems to be fine with it.

Other tidbits:

NEW YORK - Former “Welcome Back, Kotter” creator-star Gabe Kaplan says rapper-actor Ice Cube is a great choice to play his old role in the big-screen remake of the hit 1970s TV series.

In an interview that was to air Thursday, Kaplan tells “Access Hollywood” he thinks Ice Cube “is the perfect guy... He has shown what kind of crossover appeal he has.”
    In the TV original, Kaplan portrayed compassionate teacher Gabe Kotter, who returns to his former Brooklyn high school to teach a new generation of troublemakers, including John Travolta’s Vinnie Barbarino.

That formula will be updated in Ice Cube’s version, which Kaplan feels “will totally be acceptable. I think that the setting is going to be in South Central L.A. He is going to be just like how I was in Brooklyn.”

Besides starring as the young teacher, Ice Cube, 36, will also produce the movie, Bob Weinstein, co-president of The Weinstein Company, said in a statement earlier this week. No other casting or release date has been announced.

When “Access” asks about his ideal cast, Kaplan, 60, jokes, “Well, I think Snoop Dogg will play Horshack, Vanilla Ice would play Barbarino... I don’t know.”

______________________________ ______________________________ __________________

Chastity Bono in the London Mail reports that she was at Tom Cruise’s apartment when her mother learned that she was gay. Cher, “having discovered this fact over the phone, was furious and told her daughter to leave Tom Cruise’s New York apartment where she had been staying, then hung up,” according to the article. “Mum did not comfort me with kisses and cuddles because it was not the family way,” Bono explained. “Instead, she sent me to a therapist.” Cher eventually accepted her daughter’s sexuality. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11812191/)

My comment: I guess Scientology wasn't able to "cure" her!

______________________________ ______________________________ _____________

By Jeannette Walls
    MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11701187/)
    Updated: 11:33 a.m. ET March 9, 2006
    John Travolta’s decision to play a woman in “Hairspray” has raised eyebrows among some Scientology watchers.

The actor will reportedly dress in drag to take on the role of middle-aged mom Edna Turnblad in the high-camp John Waters film — a part made famous by the notorious cross-dresser Divine. Edna was later played on Broadway by outspoken gay activist Harvey Fierstein.

A recent Rolling Stone article about Scientology reports that its founder, L. Ron Hubbard, felt that gays “should be taken from … society as rapidly as possible” because “no social order will survive which does not remove these people from its midst.”

“If Hubbard had historically had his way there would be no John Waters films in America and no gay actors to play the part of Edna Turnblad,” notes Rick Ross on Cultnews.com, “which would of course leave Mr. Travolta with no new character role. And it’s doubtful that Scientology’s savior would find anything appealing about Travolta dressed in drag as Edna Turnblad.”

My comment: Glad to see that John Travolta isn't letting Scientology make all his decisions for him.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 03-16-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Drew and Lea Lachey's New Baby Girl!

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/newslink/14274/

March 24, 2006

Last month DREW LACHEY, former 98 DEGREES singer and younger brother of NICK LACHEY, won ABC's "Dancing with the Stars." This month brings more good news for the performer, as he and wife LEA welcome a brand new baby girl!

ET has confirmed that the couple welcomed their first child Thursday in Los Angeles.

"Mom, Dad and baby are all happy and healthy," says a rep for the proud parents.

Hey anemone! Thanks for starting up a new thread. Sometimes these things just don't fit anywhere do they?

I dont' get the Ice Cube /Kotter thing. But I do like that John Travolta may play JR Ewing. I can't picture it yet, but I think he'll make a FINE Texan. He's big enough. And I can't resist that with that dimple of his, he could come across as a Bad Boy.

Quite a surprise about JT playing a guy in drag. I really have trouble comparing the fact that Travolta is also a scientologist as Cruiser the Loser acts so idiotic all the time. And Travolta and his wife, both seem to not make waves about their religeous affiliations. I heard that's where they actually met as well. Was at a meeting there.

It's nice to hear that Drew and his wife had a baby. At least that's ONE family in Hollywood that's still together, and happy.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Clooney, Pitt, Damon a Go for 'Ocean's 13'

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Now that George Clooney's an Academy Award winner, he and his crew are returning to their thieving ways.

Clooney, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon will star in "Ocean's 13," the third flick in their franchise about a gang of lovable crooks, distributor Warner Bros. announced Monday.

A supporting-actor Oscar winner for the oil-industry thriller "Syriana," Clooney will reprise his role as leader of the pack Danny Ocean, with the group pulling off a new heist in Las Vegas.

Clooney's producing partner Steven Soderbergh, who made the 2001 hit "Ocean's Eleven" and its 2004 sequel "Ocean's Twelve," will direct again.

Julia Roberts, Clooney's love interest in the first two movies, and "Ocean's Twelve" co-star Catherine Zeta-Jones will not be back for the third movie, according to Warner Bros.

"It was a script issue. We didn't have a place to really use talent like theirs, two big stars like that," said Jerry Weintraub, the franchise's producer. "They're very good friends of ours, and neither Soderbergh nor I would prevail on them to come back and do nothing just to do it."

Weintraub said if the filmmakers hit on a good idea to include the actresses, there was a chance Roberts and Zeta-Jones could return.

The studio expects the rest of the cast, including Don Cheadle, Andy Garcia, Bernie Mac, Carl Reiner and Elliott Gould, will return. Joining the cast will be Ellen Barkin.

Production is scheduled to start in July, with "Ocean's 13" due in theaters in summer 2007.

WOO HOO...more eye candy in one movie...yeah baby!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Former “Welcome Back, Kotter” creator-star Gabe Kaplan says rapper-actor Ice Cube is a great choice to play his old role in the big-screen remake of the hit 1970s TV series.

That seems...so wrong, somehow. Not just the casting, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a Welcome Back, Kotter movie. I mean, the show just wasn't that good (although that certainly didn't stop the Dukes of Hazzard...come to think of it, the only really good thing about both those shows was the theme music).

I think I'm just somewhat uncomfortable with Hollywood suddenly pandering to my age group with these movie remakes of the TV shows I grew up with. I loved Dallas - my family used to rush to the television on Friday nights to see it - I don't know if I can take Travolta as JR. JR was so perfectly evil, and Travolta is a little too smirky for my liking.

Do you think Travolta will do a cameo in the Kotter movie?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I loved Welcome Back Kotter. I just don't know that they need to make a movie out of it.

for Oceans 13!

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    Clooney, Pitt, Damon a Go for 'Ocean's 13'
    I guess I had better see Oceans 11 and 12 then

Too bad Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta-Jones will not be back. I really like Don Cheadle in anything. And love Clooney too!

Pass the eye candy, bbnbama!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Matt and Susie engaged

That's for Biggest Loser fans since that thread seems to have disappeared.

Ocean's 13??? Good grief. I missed the remake of Ocean's 11, saw Ocean's 12 on a plane and had NO idea what was going on. All the character development apparently took place in the preceeding film. My sig. other saw the original Ocean's 11, rented this Ocean's 12, and quit watching in the middle, completely lost. This is one we will definitely pass on, eye candy or no. Julia Roberts, pretending to be Julia Roberts was the only part I liked in 12.

+ Reply to Thread