+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4743Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I would much rather anyone in my family smoked pot than abused the legal alcohol or tobacco. For most people, pot is not addictive nor is it harmful. It's now legal for medicinal purposes in many states and legal for recreation purposes in Colorado and one other state, I can't recall which. Using our limited law enforcement and incarceration forces on marijuana uses is something I find ridiculous.

People with the tendency toward addiction can get addicted to almost anything include coffee, cola, aspirin, and even water. I support the legalization of marijuana.
    the other state is Washington. The Super Bowl is being called the Pot Bowl since both states have legal marijuana use lol
    Punkin, prhoshay, Florimel and 1 others like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Something isn't a fallacy because you haven't experienced it yourself. I happen to know plenty of young people who HAVE smoked pot and it did lead to other drugs. It had nothing to do with bad parenting, either. It had to do with easy availability, the cash flow to pay for it, and peer pressure. Drinking was for "beginners." You need to experience life in a small well-to-do town and you'd find out what I mean. This isn't yesterday's news! Schools are desperate to find a way to turn this problem around.

I don't think it's fair to come to the conclusion that Bieber has bad parents, either. You don't live under their roof or know anything about them. All you know is what you read online or hear in the news. I also don't know why everyone jumps to the conclusion that saying marijuana leads to other drugs is suggestive of heroin! Where the heck does that come from?!

Fanny Mare, I am sorry for your loss and I am sorry that this subject matter reminds you of the pain your family has been through. I don't think you should have to define your first hand knowledge to anyone, just sayin'.
    I still think that saying pot is a gateway drug and that it leads to other drugs is not true in most cases. Is it true sometimes? Absolutely. I contend that those people would have been addicts anyway. Just as I believe the kids who flip out and kill someone after listening to death metal for 12 hours straight would have snapped anyway. I think pot is often the first drug addicts-to-be try is because it's usually the easiest to get. Certainly easier than cocaine and meth. I've seen and heard quite a few people state that pot use eventually leads to heroin and other hard drugs. I'm not making it up. It's along the same lines as the idiotic "If we allow gay marriage then people will want to marry their dogs" nonsense.

Beiber's father was WITH HIM in Miami when he was drinking in a club and he arranged/helped to block off the street while his 19-year old son drag raced while under the influence. How is that good parenting? Bieber and his mother have both admitted in interviews that she gives him prescription drugs, including Xanax, which he was on when arrested. Again, is that good parenting? My comments weren't without evidence. There are plenty of stories out there about how his parents are enabling him.

Agreed, Florimel. Much more evil and damage comes from alcohol than marijuana.

The fact is that Bieber is out of control. His smoking pot is just a small part of that. He's just another example of what happens when a young kid gets too much fame and too much money without any kind of structure to keep him from going off the rails. It's not a new story.
    prhoshay, AmyKay and JohnnyK like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

And you know, why does NO ONE refer to alcohol as a gateway substance? I don't know one person who smoked pot before they drank alcohol. Maybe it's because we don't want to examine the effects of legal alcohol...

We've been seeing pics of Bieber with alcohol for a while now. I can tell you for sure, if that was MY teenage son, I would kick his butt if I saw him drinking like that, much less behaving the way he does. I guess that's another problem when you make your child the breadwinner. We've seen it with the Lohans too. The parents get a little too attached to the lifestyle and don't want it to end, even in the name of their own child's health and safety.
    Punkin and tapper01 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

People don't say he has bad parents because they are making excuses. His father is part of his posse, living vicariously thorugh his son as an overgrown teenager and encouraging his bad behavior. And at Bieber's arrest, he claimed that he was on some unknown prescription medicine that his mother doles out to him daily.

I think they deserve just a little scrutiny in this case.
    Punkin, prhoshay, libgirl2 and 2 others like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    People don't say he has bad parents because they are making excuses. His father is part of his posse, living vicariously thorugh his son as an overgrown teenager and encouraging his bad behavior. And at Bieber's arrest, he claimed that he was on some unknown prescription medicine that his mother doles out to him daily.

I think they deserve just a little scrutiny in this case.
    His father is a louse, I can't say the same for his mother, who I doubt very much has been dishing out pills. .

Justin imnsho- has the same problem Lohan does.SMH
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I would much rather anyone in my family smoked pot than abused the legal alcohol or tobacco. For most people, pot is not addictive nor is it harmful. It's now legal for medicinal purposes in many states and legal for recreation purposes in Colorado and one other state, I can't recall which. Using our limited law enforcement and incarceration forces on marijuana uses is something I find ridiculous.

People with the tendency toward addiction can get addicted to almost anything include coffee, cola, aspirin, and even water. I support the legalization of marijuana.
    So if they can get addicted to coffee, pop etc, they can get addicted to pot. If they are not addicted to coffee or pop, they can still become addicted to pot. There is no amount of research that will convince me, pot or alcohol are safe.

They are both drugs and driving under the influence of either is dangerous .At least we have a test for alcohol, they should make one for pot ASAP!
    we have medicinal marijuana, the biggest complaint after awhile??it isn't strong enough
    -Andy Rooney-

Cannabis is not harmful? Cannabis smoke contains many of the same carcinogens as tobacco!

Critical - "I still think that saying pot is a gateway drug and that it leads to other drugs is not true in most cases. Is it true sometimes? Absolutely." So then what is your argument? Where I live it is the norm. The kids start by drinking early on, they then smoke marijuana and from that point forward it is all about what can I mix in with this, how much more can I have of that, what is in your parents' medicine cabinet, etc. etc. And you contend that they would have been addicts anyway. Well explain to me how a whole neighborhood has children who are predisposed to becoming addicts. Now there is a phenomenon. It's NOT that they are predisposed! It's that they have the means and the peer pressure is there to do it. And let's talk about the women in their 50s and 60s who are so selfish and fixated on their recreational drug of choice that they send some of those neighborhood children into dangerous areas to get it for them! Makes me sick.

I don't care if this isn't the case in your part of the world. It's the case in my area and has been for a couple of decades. Like I've said before, if we don't acknowledge this, we can't protect our children.

As for Justin and his parents... there are also reports out that the GPS devices on the vehicles say the sports car he was in was doing under the speed limit at the time he was supposedly drag racing. I'm not saying he doesn't need help, nor that I know for a fact that his parents are good and loving parents - I know nothing about them. What I am saying is that I am not going to jump to conclusions or state that "my comments weren't without evidence" because I don't fall for everything I read online or hear on TV. I learned a long time ago, when my girlfriend's son lost his close friend in a drowning incident, that what we hear on TV or read in our news is often far from what actually happens.
    NCLurker and Need40winks like this.

Bieber was clocked at 55 to 60 in a 30mph zone. He was arrested on drag racing, DUI and resisting arrest charges. He's a little punk who hangs with little wanna-be thug rappers because the bad boy image appeals to him. (Real gangsta's like Tupac or Biggie Big would laugh at these idiots. But then, they're dead.) If clean living and wholesomeness were his goal he'd have a different entourage. The only person directing his actions is himself and obviously too much money allows him to act out inappropriately when he wants. His celebrity and money won't last forever and he could end up like River Phoenix or Cory Hiam. It's way too late to begin responsible parenting and, as stated above, he has the money and so he is 'driving the bus' in this family. He wants the world's attention and he has it. I think this might have gone differently had he had better parents and management. Too late now. We get to watch this train wreck play out and I find it just plain annoying. You can put Cyrus in that category too.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I thought it was particularly disturbing that when Justin Bieber was released from jail, there was a huge crowd of screaming girls there. Now, had they been screaming, "How could you be so DUMB?!" that would have been one thing. But they seemed to be screaming out in adoration instead. What does it say that all those girls didn't seem disturbed in the least that he'd been driving under the influence, that he'd been driving way over the speed limit for that area, that he was apparently under the influence of both drugs and booze, and that he was dropping f-bombs at his arrest? Are they pinning up copies of his smiling mugshot on their bulletin boards too? What does it take to disillusion them? For that matter, how did they all get there? They didn't all look old enough to drive, and I doubt all of them were within walking distance or took public transportation. Please tell me their parents weren't driving them to jail to get a look at their idle idol.

I wonder what Bieber's reaction would have been if, instead of screaming out his name, they'd have turned their backs and stood there in silence. I realize that kind of organized silent protest would be asking a lot of teenagers, so it's not as if I'd expect it, but I just wonder if that would have sobered him up, so to speak.

They were his fans, they see no wrong in what he has done, or any so called idol before him- and there are tons.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread