+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4743Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    I know everyone here is going to come down on me after I say this so I am just going to say it and then not come back to this thread! Why is everyone being so hard on Justin Bieber but they are okay with allowing marijuana to be legalized? And I'm not singling anyone out here, I can't remember who said what. But am I the only who sees that this is EXACTLY what happens?! He was a perfectly nice kid until he got into "stuff" and now look at how it's destroying him and his family! Instead of going up one side and down the other of a boy whose brain isn't even fully developed yet, why don't we focus on the real issue?!
    I know, and as I posted, not everyone is mellow on this stuff and gets the munchies
    captain and Baby's Breath like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I know, and as I posted, not everyone is mellow on this stuff and gets the munchies
    I think Bieber's behavior probably has more to do with the alcohol and massive amounts of Sizzurp he's been guzzling than with pot.
    Punkin, prhoshay, Florimel and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It starts with marijuana but it doesn't end there because it becomes all about the next high being even better. So they add this, or add that, and increase the amount of this, or that. And Fanny Mare is absolutely right, some people - even really nice people! - get down right aggressive when they smoke.

Sorry, but I know plenty of people (and I mean dozens, including myself) who have smoked pot and it didn't lead to other drugs. I think that's a fallacy and a cop-out that removes any personal responsibility. Bieber smokes pot and drinks and takes drugs (some of which are given to him by his mother) because he wants to. Now, apparently, he's addicted OR at least is at the point where it's affecting his life in a negative way. If someone has an addictive personality, they're going to move on to stronger drugs. If they don't, pot isn't going to cause the person to become a heroin addict or something.

It's how we like to blame music or video games for behavior.

There's NO way you can blame ALL of this behavior on him starting to smoke pot. That's way too simplistic. Bieber's behavior and situation are a result of a lot of different factors, including popular culture, the people around him and crappy parenting. The drugs and alcohol (of which pot is just a part) are just another factor....and I don't think the most important factor. IMO, it has more to do with money and adulation showered on a child who wasn't parented or expected to follow any rules. Money and fame create more douche bags than drugs ever will.
    Punkin, prhoshay, waywyrd and 4 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If people were all psychotic-y because they had smoked marijuana, we'd be seeing many thousands of these kinds of responses, and it's just not so. There are the people with the underlying mental illnesses that they are trying to self-medicate for; there are people who like to put on a show when they think/know that they have an audience....and they amp it up for effect.....and it's even better when people whisper that their shows are convincing. Then, there's the drug mixing which others my not know about. It's NOT just simple marijuana. Like has been said, if you have a propensity/desire to take mind altering substances, you will find yourself much further down the road that simple marijuana smokers.

A lot of people who hold forth on this subject in an fashion usually have never had any firsthand experience with the herb. Panic is not where you want to go when medical studies tell you differently.

I take that back. Panickers are not that uncommon in this country, or any country, for that matter. There ought to be a lot of raving maniacs on this very board......not to say that we don't have any. A lot of them/us may be operating in stealth mode!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It starts with marijuana but it doesn't end there because it becomes all about the next high being even better. So they add this, or add that, and increase the amount of this, or that. And Fanny Mare is absolutely right, some people - even really nice people! - get down right aggressive when they smoke.
    Well I have first hand knowledge, so I know what it can do
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Define what you mean when you say "first hand knowledge".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Something isn't a fallacy because you haven't experienced it yourself. I happen to know plenty of young people who HAVE smoked pot and it did lead to other drugs. It had nothing to do with bad parenting, either. It had to do with easy availability, the cash flow to pay for it, and peer pressure. Drinking was for "beginners." You need to experience life in a small well-to-do town and you'd find out what I mean. This isn't yesterday's news! Schools are desperate to find a way to turn this problem around.

I don't think it's fair to come to the conclusion that Bieber has bad parents, either. You don't live under their roof or know anything about them. All you know is what you read online or hear in the news. I also don't know why everyone jumps to the conclusion that saying marijuana leads to other drugs is suggestive of heroin! Where the heck does that come from?!

Fanny Mare, I am sorry for your loss and I am sorry that this subject matter reminds you of the pain your family has been through. I don't think you should have to define your first hand knowledge to anyone, just sayin'.
    Coco46 likes this.

Something isn't a fallacy because you haven't experienced it yourself. I happen to know plenty of young people who HAVE smoked pot and it did lead to other drugs. It had nothing to do with bad parenting, either. It had to do with easy availability, the cash flow to pay for it, and peer pressure. Drinking was for "beginners." You need to experience life in a small well-to-do town and you'd find out what I mean. This isn't yesterday's news! Schools are desperate to find a way to turn this problem around.

I don't think it's fair to come to the conclusion that Bieber has bad parents, either. You don't live under their roof or know anything about them. All you know is what you read online or hear in the news. I also don't know why everyone jumps to the conclusion that saying marijuana leads to other drugs is suggestive of heroin! Where the heck does that come from?!

Fanny Mare, I am sorry for your loss and I am sorry that this subject matter reminds you of the pain your family has been through. I don't think you should have to define your first hand knowledge to anyone, just sayin'.
    I don't intend to. Each to their own though thoughts
    -Andy Rooney-

I would much rather anyone in my family smoked pot than abused the legal alcohol or tobacco. For most people, pot is not addictive nor is it harmful. It's now legal for medicinal purposes in many states and legal for recreation purposes in Colorado and one other state, I can't recall which. Using our limited law enforcement and incarceration forces on marijuana uses is something I find ridiculous.

People with the tendency toward addiction can get addicted to almost anything include coffee, cola, aspirin, and even water. I support the legalization of marijuana.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread