+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3896Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2361413;
    Reverend Alden and Tom Poston in one day?
    The world's a little less sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2361481;
    i just saw that on the news ... and was shocked to hear he was married to suzanne pleshette ... i had no idea!
    Yes, Tom and Suzanne's marriage was big media news in 2001 for fans of classic tv.

Suzanne and Tom first dated back in 1959 when they were both single, then dated again in the early 1960's after Suzanne divorced her first husband, Troy Donahue. Both Tom and Suzanne married again in 1968, but to other people. Suzanne married Tommy Gallagher (her manager) and Tom married Kay Hudson (a nurse). They remained friends, and Tom had a recurring role on the Bob Newhart Show where Suzanne co-starred. Their individual marriages lasted a long time, until the death of their spouses after long illnesses: Kay Poston died in 1998 of ALS and Tommy Gallagher died of lung cancer in 2000.

After the death of Suzanne's husband, Tom Poston called her to give his condolences, but had to leave a message on her voice mail because she wasn't home to take his call. She called him back, their friendship was renewed and grew into romance, and they married in 2001 in what has been widely reported as a happy marriage of friendship and love for two people who were perfect for each other at the perfect point in their lives. Sadly, Tom and Suzanne have both been suffering through illnesses for at least a year now. Suzanne was diagnosed with lung cancer last year, thought she had it beat, but found it had spread and has been battling that, and Tom had been having a lot of vision problems for the past couple of years, as well as some other health problems not uncommon in someone his age. I remember reading a couple of articles in the past year talking about their health problems and how they were each trying to remain strong for the other and take care of each other.

Suzanne and Tom's marriage may have been a short one (6 years), but they seem to have been just what each needed for each other, and at a time they could appreciate their friendship as well as their late-found romance. By all accounts, Tom seems to have been a genuinely nice guy in person. To anyone who's followed stories of him, his death isn't a surprise, but still sad nonetheless. And his death is bound to be very hard on Suzanne, but I hope she's able to continue to find the strength and spirit to continue her own fight against cancer.

Condolences to Suzanne, and to Tom's family and friends, and R.I.P. to Tom.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Lohan has big party plans for 21st birthday
    POSTED: 8:38 a.m. EDT, May 3, 2007

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Lindsay Lohan won't be satisfied with a cake and some candles when she turns 21.

The raspy-voiced actress, who celebrates her big birthday on July 2, said Wednesday on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" that she plans to "milk it" when she becomes old enough to legally go to clubs.

Lohan said turning 21 has "been a long time coming" for her friends who own clubs in Los Angeles. After she's legal, "they don't have to worry about getting into trouble" for letting her inside, she told host Ellen DeGeneres.

She'll celebrate by partying in Vegas, she said, and also with a dinner in Malibu, California, with family and friends. (Watch Lohan tell DeGeneres why she's going to Vegas Video)

Lohan, who stars opposite Felicity Huffman and Jane Fonda in the upcoming Universal Pictures film "Georgia Rule," also showed off a white tattoo of the word "breathe" on the inside of her wrist.

"And it's 'breathe' because?" asked DeGeneres.

"I forget to breathe sometimes," Lohan replied.
    A) Oh yeah, like turning 21 and club owners/bartenders not having to worry about serving her alcohol is going to make such a difference in her life

B) She's all happy about turning 21 and being able to party and drink legally now.... sounds like her recent stint in rehab really made an impression on her. Not!

C) Ok, she has a tattoo to remind her to breathe. When will she be getting ones to also remind her to walk when chewing gum?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I bet Lindsay's mommy will be right beside her at the party. Maybe they can hold each others' hair back when they throw up.

I don't know what to say about the following...but another sad story from celebrity land.

ETonline.com: Hasselhoff Family Crisis Caught on Tape

BREAKING NOW: Video of an intoxicated David Hasselhoff, taken by his 16-year-old daughter.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In what appears to be a cry for help, ET has obtained exclusive video of DAVID HASSELHOFF in Las Vegas -- where he is currently starring in The Producers -- in which he appears to be intoxicated in heartbreaking footage believed to be taken three months ago by his 16-year-old daughter, TAYLOR.

In the video, Taylor begs her father to stop drinking, saying, "Dad, look what this is doing to you. You have to stop drinking alcohol, promise me you won't drink anymore."

She also warns him that he could lose his stage gig if he doesn't sober up.

"The doctor's coming over early ... if you have any alcohol in your system, you're gonna be fired from the show."

David appears intoxicated, lying on the floor, wearing only a pair of blue jeans while attempting to eat a hamburger.

In a statement to ET, David says:

"I am a recovering alcoholic. Despite that I have been going through a painful divorce and I have recently been separated from my children due to my work, I have been successfully dealing with my issue. Unfortunately, one evening I did have a brief relapse, but part of recovery is relapse.

Because of my honest and positive relationship with my daughters who were concerned for my well being there was a tape made that night to show me what I was like. I have seen the tape. I have learned from it and I am back on my game. I thank God for the love and concern from my daughters. The tape was never meant to become public, but got into the hands of individuals who are not worthy of mentioning, who maliciously released the tape for their own self purpose. I hope that someone else will learn from the tape, as I have."

David has had a long and difficult struggle with alcohol problems. He checked himself into the Betty Ford clinic for alcoholism in July 2002. Two years later, he was arrested for drunk driving. Last July, he was banned from a flight at London's Heathrow Airport because authorities believed he was too intoxicated to fly.

Earlier this week, David's ex-wife PAMELA BACH told ET how difficult their divorce has been on everyone.

"It's a year and a half of hell that me and my daughters have been through," she said.

In January of 2006, Hasselhoff and Bach each filed divorce papers after 16 years of marriage, citing "irreconcilable differences." In May of the same year, a court granted both joint custody of their children.

Pamela recently hired attorney DEBRA OPRI -- who until recently represented LARRY BIRKHEAD, the biological father of ANNA NICOLE SMITH's daughter, DANNIELYNN.

Bach told ET that the hiring of Opri pertains to child and spousal support payments.

Both women were in Los Angeles County court on Tuesday for a hearing related to the ongoing custody battle involving David and Pamela's two daughters, Taylor and HAYLEY.

Stay tuned to ET for more on this breaking story.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Paris Hilton is sentenced to 45 days in jail

Celebrity heiress Paris Hilton today was sentenced to 45 days in jail for violating her probation in a reckless-driving case.

A Los Angeles judge handed down the sentence after prosecutors contended in a two-hour hearing that Hilton had violated her probation when she was ticketed in late February for driving a blue Bentley Continental GTC on Sunset Boulevard with a suspended license. Hilton and her attorneys argued that it was a mistake and that her action did not warrant a jail sentence.

Hilton was serving 36 months of probation after pleading no contest to a charge of alcohol-related reckless driving related to her Sept. 7 arrest in Hollywood. She also had been fined $1,500.

The reality TV personality was apprehended in the September incident after two Los Angeles Police Department motorcycle officers saw her Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren being driven erratically.

They pulled the car over near the intersection of Selma and Wilcox avenues and performed several field sobriety tests before handcuffing and arresting Hilton, authorities said.

So many celebrity photographers swarmed the September traffic stop that police had trouble doing their job. The surreal quality of the incident continued at the stationhouse, where reporters and photographers created such a ruckus that the watch commander warned that camera flashbulbs could cause accidents on the street.

Inside, police did what they do in most cases, administering a Breathalyzer test to Hilton, which showed that her blood-alcohol level was on the wrong side of California's legal limit of 0.08%.

Then, after the February incident, the city attorney's office had asked the Superior Court judge to jail Hilton for 45 days, saying she violated the terms of her probation for an alcohol-related reckless driving conviction. They also asked that she stay away from alcohol for 90 days, wear a monitoring device and have her license suspended for an additional four months.

This afternoon's hearing was held at an obscure traffic courthouse south of downtown L.A.

Hilton arrived at the courthouse about 15 minutes late in a Cadillac Escalade. Moments later Paris Hilton emerged from the Cadillac along with her mother, Kathy Hilton.

Conservatively dressed in a British jockey suit, with grey jacket and black pants, the hotel heiress appeared as stone-faced as her modeling days in New York City during fashion week. But instead of gliding down the red carpet, Hilton made her way up the steps of the courthouse roped off from the throngs of reporters and photographers by yellow police crime scene tape.

Members of the media clamored at the courthouse door as Hilton, her mother and several assistants made it through security and prepared to take the elevator to the courtroom on the sixth floor. Only about a dozen spectators or Hilton fans were on hand.

Two teenage students from Santa Monica College said they were "morbidly intrigued" by Hilton's appearance.

Rachel Chavarria, 19, shot photos of Hilton on her cellphone camera. She said she was there to pay a speeding ticket and had to wait ten minutes to get into the building. "If she goes to jail, which she should, she deserves it," Chavarria said. "She had the money and should have called a chauffeur or a taxi and that shows how stupid she is. It's like she's one of those celebrities looking to get attention at any cost."

Her friend, Selene Sanchez, 19, was equally unimpressed with the media spectacle.

"What it seems people care about more now isn't God, the war or poverty. It's about if Lindsay's on drugs, If Britney's shaving her head or Paris is going to jail," Sanchez said. "It's just absolutely disturbing to see what we care about now."

Construction workers building a parking structure across the street from the courthouse yelled "Jail time!" to the group of more than two dozen TV crews who had gathered in front of the court before the 1:30 p.m. hearing.

Some people who had other business at the court were not happy about how the courthouse was handling Hilton's arrival.

"Upstairs, they are telling us how we should treat everyone equally with fairness and justice," said Rocco Jimenez, 21, a juror on another case. "Now, here they are shutting down one whole entrance for one person. It's ridiculous. This is the way we do the justice system in L.A. There's no place like it."
    Link

I'd be lying if I said the news of this didn't make me smile, at least a little.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 05-04-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Yay! I'm glad Miss Skanky is going to jail. Hopefully, it will keep her bird-like mug out of the news for awhile.

me too, Kat. Love the fact that the judge was tired of the obnoxious disregard for the law, no matter who she is!

Hopefully Nicole Richie will get the same judge when her DUI finally gets to court.

I'm shocked - I honestly believed she'd get off yet again, and the cynic in me will believe it when I see it, but it sounds like she'll have to report to Lynwood Jail by June 5.

Paris Hilton gets jail time for probation violation

08:09 PM CDT on Friday, May 4, 2007
    Associated Press

LOS ANGELES A judge sentenced Paris Hilton to 45 days in county jail Friday for violating her probation, putting the brakes on the hotel heiress' famous high life.

Hilton, who parlayed her name and relentless partying into worldwide notoriety, must go to jail by June 5 and she will not be allowed any work release, furloughs, use of an alternative jail or electronic monitoring in lieu of jail, Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer ruled after a hearing.

The judge, saying "there's no doubt she knew her license had been suspended," ruled that she was in violation of the terms of her probation in an alcohol-related reckless driving case.

"I'm very sorry and from now on I'm going to pay complete attention to everything. I'm sorry and I did not do it on purpose at all," she told the judge before he announced the sentence.

Paris Hilton, seen leaving the courthouse, will report to jail on June 5. She was then ordered to report to a women's jail in suburban Lynwood by the set date or face 90 days behind bars. The judge's ruling excluded her from paying to serve time in a jail of her choice, as some are allowed.

As a city prosecutor said during closing arguments that Hilton deserved jail time, Hilton's mother, Kathy, laughed. When the judge ruled, Kathy Hilton then blurted out: "May I have your autograph?"

Paris Hilton was among a series of witnesses who took the stand during the hearing. She testified she believed her license was initially suspended for 30 days and that she was allowed to drive for work purposes during the next 90 days.

She said that when an officer who stopped her in January made her sign a document stating her license was suspended, she thought he was mistaken and did not actually look at the document.

Also called to the stand was Hilton's spokesman, Elliot Mintz. Hilton and her attorneys characterized Mintz as a liaison between Hilton and her lawyers.

Mintz testified that to his knowledge Hilton did not drive during the 30-day period. He said he then advised her that he believed her license was no longer suspended.

The judge called Mintz's testimony worthless and expressed disbelief at Hilton's lawyers.

"I can't believe that either attorney did not tell her that the suspension had been upheld," the judge said. "She wanted to disregard everything that was said and continue to drive no matter what."

Hilton looked forward and didn't speak to news media as she left court. Her mother looked upset.

When a reporter asked what she thought of the judge's decision, a visibly angry Kathy Hilton responded: "What do you think? This is pathetic and disgusting, a waste of taxpayer money with all this nonsense. This is a joke."

Defense attorney Howard Weitzman said he would appeal.

"I'm shocked, I'm surprised and really disheartened in the system that I've worked in for close to 40 years," Weitzman said.

He said the sentence was "uncalled for, inappropriate and bordered on the ludicrous."

"I think she's singled out because of who she is," Weitzman said.

Hilton had arrived at the Metropolitan Courthouse 10 minutes late and ignored screams of photographers as she swept in with her attorneys, mother and father, Rick Hilton. Wearing a gray jacket and white shirt over black slacks and with a black headband on, she said nothing and appeared serious.

The celebrity case brought an unusual scene to the austere courthouse south of downtown in a commercial area. As if at a red carpet event, dozens of photographers and reporters lined up at the rear entrance. Yellow police tape substituted for velvet ropes.

Hilton, 26, pleaded no contest in January to reckless driving stemming from a Sept. 7 arrest in Hollywood. Police said she appeared intoxicated and failed a field sobriety test. She had a blood-alcohol level of .08 percent, the level at which an adult driver is in violation of the law.

She was sentenced to 36 months probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

Two other traffic stops and failure to enroll in a mandated alcohol education program, are what landed the socialite back in court.

On Jan. 15, Hilton was pulled over by California Highway Patrol. Officers informed her that she was driving on a suspended license and she signed a document acknowledging that she was not to drive, according to papers filed in Superior Court.

Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies stopped Hilton on Feb. 27 and charged her with violating her probation. Police said she was pulled over at about 11 p.m. after authorities saw the car speeding with its headlights off.

Mintz said at the time Hilton wasn't aware her license was suspended. A copy of the document Hilton signed on Jan. 15 was found in the car's glove compartment, court papers say.

Hilton was also required to enroll in an alcohol education program by Feb. 12. As of April 17, she had not enrolled, prosecutors said.

Hilton, heiress to the Hilton Hotel fortune, first gained notoriety for her hard partying as a teen. She attracted worldwide attention when a sex tape she made with a boyfriend was released on the Internet.

She stars in the reality-TV series, The Simple Life, now in its fifth season, with Nicole Richie. She appeared in the 2005 film House of Wax and recently finished filming The Hottie and the Nottie . She also is a handbag designer and has a namesake perfume.

Paris Hilton gets jail time for probation violation | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

"I think she's singled out because of who she is," Weitzman said.

Oh please! She has gotten free passes UNTIL now because of who she is. Not one of my friends would have gotten the opportunities to get out of trouble with her driving record to this point! Honestly, from the comments of her mother, I am appalled! I had hoped that at least on some level her parents TRIED to temper this girl, but,the mother seems to be as delusional as the daughter! Ugh!

+ Reply to Thread