+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4634Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2327130;
    I remember when Roscoe Lee Browne was the hospital roommate of Archie Bunker, and the curtain couldn't be drawn back, and Archie didn't know that he was black until the very end of the episode. Archie just assumed that with the French accent, that "Johnny" was "just a regular white guy"!
    Oh I remember that one! That was funny!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Why did I when I read this?
    Print Story: Hugh Grant arrested over "baked beans attack" on Yahoo! News
    Hugh Grant arrested over "baked beans attack"

Thu Apr 26, 3:06 PM ET

Hugh Grant has been arrested and questioned by police after a photographer accused the actor of attacking him with a tub of baked beans.

Photographer Ian Whittaker told the Daily Star tabloid that he and Grant, 46, clashed near the home of the "Four Weddings and a Funeral" star.

Whittaker said Grant abused and kicked him Tuesday before lobbing the beans. The paper printed photos of Grant with a plastic tub of food raised over his head.

Grant's lawyers said an incident had taken place and was now under investigation. His agent in the United States said he had no official statement at this stage and London representatives could not be immediately reached for comment.

A police spokeswoman, when asked about the incident, said a 46-year-old man had been arrested Wednesday evening and questioned at a London police station after an allegation of assault in west London.

He was bailed to return in May.

Grant had a previous well-publicized run-in with the law. In 1995 he made headlines after being arrested during an encounter with a Los Angeles prostitute.

In 2000, Grant split with his girlfriend of 13 years, actress and model Elizabeth Hurley. Hurley married Indian businessman Arun Nayar last month.

The actor announced in February that he had ended his relationship with British socialite Jemima Khan.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 04-26-2007 at 07:01 PM.

I read that earlier today, too, Unk. Cracked me up, especially considering how horrible he looked on the AI love-a-thon last night. I was also tickled by the news coverage of the Indian arrest warrant for Richard Gere, for lewd and lascivious behavior. Apparently he kissed an actress on the cheeck on Indian TV.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar;2353146;
    I was also tickled by the news coverage of the Indian arrest warrant for Richard Gere, for lewd and lascivious behavior. Apparently he kissed an actress on the cheeck on Indian TV.
    Yeah I read this too.
    Print Story: Indian court issues warrant for Gere on Yahoo! News
    Indian court issues warrant for Gere

Thu Apr 26, 10:39 AM ET

A court issued arrest warrants for Hollywood actor Richard Gere and Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty on Thursday, saying their kiss at a public function "transgressed all limits of vulgarity," media reports said.

Judge Dinesh Gupta issued the warrants in the northwestern city of Jaipur after a local citizen filed a complaint charging that the public display of affection offended local sensibilities, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.

Gupta earlier viewed television footage of the event, which he called "highly sexually erotic," saying the pair violated India's strict public obscenity laws.

Gere and Shetty "transgressed all limits of vulgarity and have the tendency to corrupt the society," PTI quoted the judge as saying.

Such cases against celebrities often filed by publicity seekers are common in conservative India. They add to a backlog of legal cases that has nearly crippled the country's judicial system.

Gere left India shortly after the kissing incident and it was not immediately clear how the warrant would affect him.

Gere is a frequent visitor to India, promoting health issues and the cause of Tibetan exiles. The Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, has his headquarters in the north Indian town of Dharmsala.

Under Indian law a person convicted of public obscenity faces up to three months in prison, a fine, or both.

Last week, crowds in several Indian cities burned effigies of the 57-year-old star of "An Officer and a Gentleman," "American Gigolo" and "Pretty Woman" after he embraced Shetty and kissed her several times on her cheeks during an HIV/AIDS awareness event in the Indian capital.

Photographs of the clinch were then splashed across front pages in India where public displays of affection are largely taboo.

The judge lambasted Shetty for not resisting Gere's kisses and ordered her to appear in his court May 5, PTI said. A spokesman for Shetty declined comment.

The event's organizer, Parmeshwar Godrej, called the controversy a distraction from more important issues.

"It has detracted from and undermined the value and success of the event, which was concerned with creating AIDS awareness and promoting AIDS prevention among truck drivers," CNN-IBN quoted her as saying.

Shetty, 31, has said the embrace was not obscene and that the media should instead focus on HIV/AIDS awareness.

"I understand this is his culture, not ours. But this was not such a big thing or so obscene for people to overreact in such manner," she told PTI last week.

"I understand people's sentiments, but I don't want a foreigner to take bad memories from here," PTI quoted her as saying.

Shetty, already well-known in India, became an international star after her appearance on the British reality show "Celebrity Big Brother" another controversial public appearance. A fellow contestant, Jade Goody, sparked international headlines by making allegedly racist comments to Shetty. Mobs took to the streets of India to denounce Goody, and Shetty went on to win the competition.

I understand cultures are different, but isn't this just a tad bit excessive? I honestly don't understand how that kiss can be seen as vulgar. Foolish, yes maybe, but definitely not vulgar.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2353303;
    I understand cultures are different, but isn't this just a tad bit excessive?
    For our culture, yes it is. For theirs, no it's not. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Many Americans have gotten themselves in deep, deep trouble by not observing the rules and customs of the countries they are visiting.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 04-26-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Leo
    Premium Member

For what it's worth, Shilpa Shetty herself thinks it's no big deal, and if anything took a swipe at the press.

Indiwo.com > For the Indian woman > Shilpa Lashes Out at Media over Kiss > Life+Work

Shilpa Lashes Out at Media over Kiss
    CNN-IBN | Apr 17, 2007

Mumbai: Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty is once again in the eye of a storm. "I don't want us to look like idiots in front of the foreign media," says Shilpa.

The actress lashed out at the media in Vashi, Navi Mumbai from the sets of her forthcoming film Metro.

"I didn't understand what was happening. And then I saw everything being blown out of proportion on TV. I am not allowed to work, my entire shooting has been disrupted," says Shilpa.

And right outside the sets were protestors shouting slogans and burning effigies of Hollywood actor Richard Gere.

The reason for Shilpa's outburst and the mobs protests was a star-studded event in Delhi meant to raise AIDS awareness on Sunday night. But a series overenthusiastic hugs and kisses from Gere to Shilpa have snowballed into a controversy of sorts.

By Monday morning the kiss evoked sporadic protests in parts of Varanasi, Kanpur, Bhopal and Ranchi where some groups burnt effigies of the actors. The controversy forced Shilpa to call for a press conference in the evening to give her side of the story.

"Richard Gere called me three times since the morning to apologise and said that he didn’t want to hurt the sentiments of Indian people. And if he did, he is sorry. We went there for a cause. Richard doesn’t belong to our country, and he is so passionate about the cause," says Shilpa.

Meanwhile, Gere is reportedly out of India, but was reportedly concerned about the controversy his harmless kiss has caused.

"Richard Gere" and "highly erotic" don't belong in the same sentence to me!
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

An addition to the Hugh Grant Story
    Hugh Grant kicks photographer
    Wednesday, 25 April 2007
    24 hours in pics: De Niro, Moss, Gallipoli and more

Hugh Grant uncharacteristically lost his cool and went berserk with a photographer who tried to take a picture of him yesterday.

He reportedly aimed a full tub of beans at the snapper, kicked him and, according to the photographer, said he wished his children die of cancer
    The enraged actor, normally the epitome of cool and charm, lost his temper when the photographer asked him to pose for a shot outside his home yesterday afternoon.

He had been on the street waiting for Liz Hurley who lives a few doors away from Grant.

Snapper covered in beans

Grant, 46, has been quizzed by police over yesterday’s incident that left photographer Ian Whittaker bruised, battered and covered in beans.

The photographer turned up to take pictures of Grant's ex Liz Hurley, who lives down the street in Chelsea, London.

The paparazzo has filed a complaint against the actor, and London police have said they will talk to Grant about the incident.

We asked him to smile

He said: “We were sat outside Liz Hurley's house which is two doors away from Hugh's when he turned up in his car.

He was effing and blinding at me

“I said ‘Give us a smile please' and he just looked really angry. I walked backwards and he walked after me. He was effing and blinding at me and then he just started kicking me. He kicked me hard about three or four times and then he kneed me in the groin.

“He asked me if I had a girlfriend or any kids and I said I had two. He said 'I hope they die of f**king cancer.

That really upset me because I think everyone can relate to cancer and it's not a nice thing to say. I'm determined to see this thing through to the end because of what he said.

He hurled tub of beans all over me

"He then hurled it at me and the beans flew everywhere. I couldn't believe it. It was the kind of thing you expect Pete Doherty to do, not Hugh Grant.

The snapper claimed Grant said 'Do you know who I am? I'm a millionaire' and then screamed 'Leave me alone' and offered £200 a day to stay away from him.

Police officers arrived on the scene and went into Grant’s house.

Police investigating

Today a Met spokeswoman said of the Hugh Grant incident: "I can confirm that Kensington CID are investigating an allegation of assault following an incident in Redcliffe Road, SW10, on 24 April at 10am. Enquiries are in hand and there have been no arrests."
    While I do get that paparazzi can be irritating, annoying, how can you say that about his kids? No matter how much I hate someone, at any particular moment, I would never wish illness upon anyone, let alone their children that are completely innocent in the matter.

Link: thelondonpaper : Hugh Grant kicks photographer

It looks like the photographer got in one shot of the bean throwing incident.

Well, anyone who's ever lived with anyone who loves baked beans has always known that beans are a lethal weapon.

On a side note... regarding the article quote "He was effing and blinding at me"... I know what "effing" means, but what the heck does "blinding" mean?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread