+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4589Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

At one point I heard 50 Shades was poorly written so I ignored the hype and never bothered to pick it up. From what I have heard about it, this new actor looks like a much better fit for the role than the first one. He's got a MUCH more interesting look IMO. However, at the end of the day I have to agree that it sounds like this movie will be awful.

FORT Fogey

I think the success of the movie will depend on how they approach it. I read the first two books. I didn't love them, and never bothered to read the third. I only read the second because my book club decided to read all three. They are certainly poorly written, and a bit silly. At some point, in order to get through the second one, I stopped reading it as a dramatic story, and started reading it as a campy soap opera -- I read the characters speaking in a voice like Susan Lucci rather than a non-soap opera person. It made it a little easier to get through. If they can approach the movie in a way that is campy and full of soap opera fantasy, I think it may do well. If they try to approach it as some great dramatic and erotic story, I think that it may have a huge opening weekend while groups of housewife friends go out for a girls night out. Then, as word gets out that it's a dud, it will die a quick death and we can be done with the phenomenon.
    JulieAnn likes this.

I didn't read the book, I had no reason to think this would be my type of book. I wont be seeing the movie, so I don't care who plays the role. It's interesting to see who has turned the role down.
    dagwood, Coco46 and Photobabe like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I didn't read the book, I had no reason to think this would be my type of book. I wont be seeing the movie, so I don't care who plays the role. It's interesting to see who has turned the role down.
    I didn't read it either for the same reason. But with all the hype around it & a number of people I know reading it, I was curious. I looked it up online at a few sites that give good synopsis of books.
    It reaffirmed my decision that this just wasn't for me. I've also heard from a few "book people" that it just wasn't well written. That the big deal was about the subject matter, not the writing or story.

I won't be watching the movie, either in theater or rental, but so many other people are excited about this that you can't get away from the hype. So keeping up with that is kind of fun.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I didn't read it either for the same reason. But with all the hype around it & a number of people I know reading it, I was curious. I looked it up online at a few sites that give good synopsis of books.
    It reaffirmed my decision that this just wasn't for me. I've also heard from a few "book people" that it just wasn't well written. That the big deal was about the subject matter, not the writing or story.

I won't be watching the movie, either in theater or rental, but so many other people are excited about this that you can't get away from the hype. So keeping up with that is kind of fun.
    I have heard there are going to be girlfriend viewing parties, that sounds like fun. Well it sounds like fun for my daughter and daughter in law. I can stay home and have as much fun
    Coco46 likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    At one point I heard 50 Shades was poorly written so I ignored the hype and never bothered to pick it up. From what I have heard about it, this new actor looks like a much better fit for the role than the first one. He's got a MUCH more interesting look IMO. However, at the end of the day I have to agree that it sounds like this movie will be awful.
    Maybe he looks more like the character as he's written, but there's no way he's a better actor than Charlie Hunnam, although I guess that part doesn't take much acting ability. Frankly, I'm surprised ANY actor would touch that part. It's one of those movies that could end a career.

I was given a Kindle by my godmother and she happened to have the first two books in the series on it. I read a bit of the first one to see what all the fuss was about and OMG. SO BAD. Terrible writing. Like, BEYOND bad. I happen to hate fan fiction and that's what the book is and it reads like bad fan fiction. I felt genuinely embarrassed for the writer. I guess she doesn't care since she's laughing all the way to the bank. I can't imagine that the movie will be anything but ridiculously awful.
    AJane, JulieAnn and KatesMom like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I never picked up the book, but decided to see what all the hype was about in this thread. I read the most naughty parts on a site somewhere and actually got a kick out of it. It reminds me of those little booklet type magazines published in the 1980's called Forum. Does anyone remember those? I was quite young and very inexperienced then, so I liked Forum. I find this quite similar.

I think I might like the movie based on the book. lol I know, I know, trashy maybe, but still.....I think I'll check it out, though probably not in a theater. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Maybe he looks more like the character as he's written, but there's no way he's a better actor than Charlie Hunnam, although I guess that part doesn't take much acting ability. Frankly, I'm surprised ANY actor would touch that part. It's one of those movies that could end a career.
    Since I haven't read the books, I'm going on the fact that he looks more like the image in my head based solely on what I have heard second-hand about the story -- which I realize is a huge stretch!
    I'm not familiar at all with Charlie Hunnam's work. If he's a decent actor maybe you're right that he's better off without the role anyway!
    Fanny Mare likes this.

That's how I feel I did see the writer interviewed, and she didn't seem to care if others said it was badly written( as the interviewer suggested) Why would she, she is laughing all the way to the bank, and I believe handcuff sales went up
    Shoepie and bee stung lips like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

I never read the book(s) and don't plan to see the movie. No interest whatsoever. I doubt any big name actor would even consider it and I'll wager several were approached and said no thanks.

Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that all the brouhaha about the first actor leaving and being replaced by this one was at least partially ploy to keep the movie in the news and drum up interest.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread