+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3895Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I don't understand why people are trying to make a mental health issue out of Miley. Is that just a knee jerk reaction these days to ANYTHING people don't agree with? I think that Miley's actions have been son incredibly calculated that it is VERY clear that she's quite sane. Immature perhaps, but that should be accepted from a girl her age. Miley is facing the challenge that many girls before her faced, and many behind her will as well. When a girl becomes a child star and then grows up, they struggle to stop being seen as a teenager. It seems to be easier for boys to overcome that, though they face their own challenges. Miley has to struggle with being seen as Hannah Montanna. Without her crazy stunts, if she did things normal for a girl her age, people would freak out and say she's too young for that. So she's gone to extremes to announce to the world that she's grown up and she's no longer Hannah Montanna. Some women going through that challenge have chosen to do Playboy. Miley has chosen a similar path without making money for Hugh Hefner. Miley has even stated that she's doing these stunts for attention ... and it's working. Now, I think there's another aspect entirely to critique, which is how effectively her stunts promote her as an artist. I don't think she's been effective there, because her stunts have been sloppy and not showcased much talent. But i don't think there's the slightest issue with mental health. Think about it -- for all the stories about her taking her clothes off and doing various other things, you don't hear reports of her not showing up on sets, being difficult to work with, etc. She's no Lohan, Bynes, etc. She's a girl who doesn't have as much talent as she does fame, but she's found very effective ways of gaining more fame.
    Lucynda, libgirl2, AmyKay and 1 others like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wendy Williams thinks that Miley KNOWS how to handle her business, but a person (old lady) like Sinead doesn't have a clue about Miley's choices. Of course, Wendy also thought that Amanda Bynes was smart and knew how to up her value by doing the bizarre things to make herself more relevant....Wendy thought Amanda was brilliant in her actions! For a college-educated woman, Wendy Williams can exhibit an inordinate amount of lack of insight and stupidity. Can't help but wonder if Wendy ever went to a class while she was in college. From the way she talks, I doubt that she did.

About Miley, I'm just glad that I don't have smell-a-vision. It's like NOBODY is/has given Miley any guidance, whatsoever. I respect and appreciate what Sinead is trying to do....and if anybody knows that of which she spoke to Miley, it's Sinead. Miley is busy being a know-it-all baby brat and will, I predict, live to regret her juvenile decisions. I'm not impressed at all. I could not just let my child flounder like that. Things have ways of following you that you wish would just go away. I really see her as more pathetic, than anything.
    AmyKay likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

But her regrets will make for a fabulous "I can't believe the stupid things I did" interview in Vanity Fair 10 years from now that will be step one in convincing everyone that she's a mature woman in her 30s now ...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't think you should have to "convince" people of anything. Your decisions and behaviors should speak for themselves. Less is more.....except in Miley's case of what looks like extremely permissive parenting; Miley seems to lack any instinct to reign herself in. Her lack of education and structure is screaming.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think Miley is a brat. I think she loves the attention. I haven't looked at the links - I have seen far more of her than I ever wanted to.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Hate to break it to you, Miley, dear, but showing off your body parts is in no way empowering.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I don't know the depth of Miley's problem, however, I tend to think it's not just a girl acting out. I still suspect more. When Brittney began acting bizarre, people shushed it off as her being a diva, being young, being stressed, etc. Not long afterwards she was taken out of her house by ambulance for a psych hold. Eventually, she was found to be incompetent and is still under a guardianship due to her mental illness.

Then there was Lyndsay Lohan, who was out and about and doing some pretty wild things and many said she's just spoiled, having fun, and stressed from being in the spotlight, but she had huge issues which have required multiple stays in a hospital.

Then there was Amanda Bynes who acted out, made bizarre twitter rants, exposed her breast to the public, etc. Many including Wendy Williams thought she was a genius in marketing. (Wendy is something else. Don't get me started.) The problem is that Amanda eventually did something very dangerous and is under a psych hold, where she is expected to be for a long time.

So, I think it's quite possible that Miley's bizarre behavior could be attributed to mental health issues. I just don't think it's normal for a young singer to expose her crotch to a camera and fondle herself just for shock value. I hope we don't see much more, but I bet we do.

FORT Fogey

But the difference between Miley and those three is the same differnce between Kanye and those three. All of Miley's "acting up" has been planned public displays. She's getting attention for a VMA performance, a music video, lyrics to a song, a photo shoot, etc. All of those are planned, calculated events that are part of her career. The bizzare behavior from Britney, Lindsay and Amanda was all things they did in their private lives which was observed and reported on by others. Even the reports of Miley using drugs privately are coming from Miley talking about it in interviews - not from being caught by neighbors complaining about out of control parties. I think the closer comparison for Miley would be to Madonna when she went through her dominatrix / sex book stage. Madonna went WAY further than Miley has. Madonna also did it with more artistry and talent than Miley has shown. But no one was worried that Madonna was anything but a performer because it was all part of the show she puts on. Same is true wtih Miley. The girl is mentally balanced, immature, and determined to keep her name in the spotlight.
    Lucynda and bee stung lips like this.

I agree that it's irresponsible and unkind for Mia to casually throw out the possibility of Frank Sinatra being her son's father without giving a thought, apparently, to how that might affect his wife. I also don't like that she talked about things with Frank never really ending, which again throws an apparently ongoing affair in the face of his wife. It's just not at all thoughtful on her part whatever her motivations may be.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

We have a thread for SNL here: Saturday Night Live
    The posts about Miley Cyrus' gig hosting the show have been moved to that thread.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread