+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4586Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fanatic

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

My twin nephews were child actors--you wouldn't know who they were because they were only in commercials (Beef: it's What's for Dinner and a few Christmastime "feel good everyone's coming home" type of commercials). Identical twins are in hot demand in The Industry because infants and children are limited to how many hours they can perform so having twins would extend shooting time. My sister took them out of the business when they were quite young because she was appalled by the "stage parents" she would encounter. She said that the parents were simply using the kids to fulfill their own twisted goals. The grounded parents make sure that their kids go to school, stay grounded, have curfews, etc. Rarely do these kids end up making headlines other than "where are they now?" One of my nephews graduated early from college and is now in his second year of law school at a well-respected institution. My other nephew is graduating this year and will start law school in the fall with plans to become an entertainment lawyer. (I recognize my nephews aren't representative of famous child actors...I just wanted to share)

As a side note, one time my brother-in-law went with my sister to a shoot to help with the boys. The producer liked his look so much that he hired my BIL to be in the commercial. After that twist of fate, my BIL had a nice side-career for about 10 or so years as an actor in some very famous commercials. Go figure.

Edited to add: My sister and BIL put the boys' income into college funds. They figured the boys earned it, the money was theirs. But my sister commented that they were only required by law to put a small portion of the boys' earnings into fund for them. They could legally claim the rest for themselves. It just reinforced for her how there were a lot of parents enslaving their children so that they could get money off of them--especially if the kids became famous.
    Last edited by JulieAnn; 09-02-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Another thought

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yeah, I was shocked. It says he has a real love for special needs kids. He has devoted much of his life to helping them, thus his masters in Special Education.

OH, I forgot. Scotty McCreedy from my home county, Wake, NC, is getting his college degree from NC State, even though he won American Idol. He wants his degree and to be a country music performer. Smart move.

Kenny Chesney also has a college degree. (Obtained before he made it in music.)

So does Garth Brooks. He has a bachelor's in advertising and Trisha Yearwood in business administration. They received them before they made it big in music though.
    Regarding the bolded: He chose college, and NC State in particular, against the advise of a number of people in the industry. Seems he decided to make the decision that he and his family felt were best for him and his personal goals. I am sure that he will adjust his schedule as life dictates, but it takes a lot of backbone to stick to your convictions when the industry is trying to convince you differently.
    prhoshay and JulieAnn like this.

Juliann, it sounds like you have some very talented people in your family. I guess the law or acting are good professions. I wonder how I may have fared it I had chosen the latter. lol

I would not be surprised if Scotty was told to go for the big time when he was fresh and hot from AI. IF you wait, you may not get back to the top. I get it. From what Scotty said, he was okay with that. He wasn't so impressed with fame that he wanted it that bad. He was okay with getting his education, then if music works for him, that would be great and if not, he has his degree to fall back on. Plus, I think Scotty wanted to live the college lifestyle. He got a taste of traveling on a tour bus and maybe that's not all he wanted to look forward to.
    NCLurker likes this.

Actually, Garth Brooks got his Master's degree at Oklahoma State a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by Need40winks; 09-02-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Adding

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Danica McKellar (Winnie Cooper on The Wonder Years[I]) has a Phd in mathematics from UCLA.

Many years ago, I remember seeing a special about child stars, and I remember the woman who played Zelda, Dobie's persistent suitor on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis saying that she was very fortunate that Roddy McDowall was a family friend, as he told her parents that if she and her brother were going to be child actors, it was extremely important that they still get solid educations, because acting was a very fickle business, and a lot more child actors failed to make it as adult actors than succeeded (though he, himself, was still a reasonably successful adult actor). As a result, she went to college and eventually into politics and didn't define herself as someone who had no worthwhile abilities beyond acting.
    I remember her. Her name was Sheila James and she was very popular at the time. She was supposed to have her own show after Dobie Gillis was finished, but I recall she was revealed to be gay and that project was shelved after that. She did a little more work, but acting job offers came less and less frequently.

Dobie Gillis had many starring, recurring and guest roles done by well known or up and coming actors at the time. The list is way too long to post here, but even Warren Beatty got his start on that show. The show was based on a collections of short stories by Max Shulman and was a silly, but funny, guilty pleasure for me.
    Arielflies likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    It always breaks my heart when these "stars" don't get their college experience. I understand that college is not for everybody, but they are really short-changing themselves, something that they will never know or understand. They try to replace that experience with things. It just seems so empty. Further education is something that no one can ever take from you; you can lose all of your "things" in the blink of an eye, but I guess they do get a different kind of education, though.

The coolest thing about college is that it was NOTHING like high school. New adventures/experiences and new people to meet; new memories to make!
    I have the same complaint with regard to sports figures who go pro so young (Kobe Bryant). Yes, college gives you lots of experiences. In my mind though, the best experience it gives you is HOW TO BE AN ADULT. College is where I learned how to balance a checkbook, pay bills, grocery shop (not just junk food) and make tough decisions (do I go to the bar and skip my 8am exam, or skip the bar). That is why some don't make it in college. But for most of us, I think college gives us the chance to live on our own and finally be responsible for ourselves so that we are ready to get a job and enter the real world after that. Just because you have money does not mean you are an adult - and I think many child stars and sports figures are the perfect example of that.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

In 2 words, it's about self-discipline. You can do the self-discipline and still have a good time. Luckily, my whole education career (grades 1-12) was about self-discipline; it was that whole Catholic school/nuns crap!). I was also not about to disappoint my grandfather, who thought I hung the moon and would do anything for me! My poor mother had to put up with her baby daughter coming into that period of her life where I learned that I was NOT her baby anymore......and we actually survived that awakening.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I know there is a thread for it, but if you're not a fan of the show, you probably don't bother to go there.

Here's the list of CELEBRITIES that will trip the light fantastic on DWTS this season:

Amber Riley
    Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi
    Brant Daugherty
    Leah Remini
    Corbin Bleu
    Christina Milian
    Valerie Harper
    Bill Nye
    Keyshawn Johnson
    Elizabeth Berkley
    Bill Engval
    Jack Osbourne
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Here's hoping that Christina Milian loses that hideous hair color that really insults her skintone.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Has anyone seen the recent update on Valerie Harper? The doctors say she is close to remission!!!!!! Such great news!
    I am thrilled to hear that ... but I heard that she is absolutely in remission. I hope so.

What guts. She is 74 years old and has brain cancer and she's going dancing!

The answer to many things is keep smiling, keep your sense of humor and keep moving!

bee stung lips likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread