+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4600Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Why do we spend so much time judging people that we don't know? We all judge ourselves harshly enough. I'm with you, ATV; we put our trust in our own experts. Snapshot moments are not necessarily life shots; they tend to be momentary. Like sound-bites. If your children are clean, healthy, fed, and happy....you must be doing something right. It's not anyone's business to agree or not with how you are achieving that......it's obviously working.

It's easier to tell when things are going wrong.
    Florimel likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    As I said, my kids were in a rear facing car seat until they were one, and then we turned it around. It wasn't a vanity thing. It was because my pediatrician recommended that, and I trust him. Blue Ivy is over 1. So had my kids been her age and someone saw them in a car seat, the same judgement could have been placed on me. I was not ignorant, selfish or self-absorbed. I was following the instructions of an expert I trusted and still trust. If Blue Ivy were a three month old infant, I'd see the point. But in this specific case, there are experts and good parents who do the same thing that Beyonce and Jay Z did.
    Depends on how old your kids are. The recommendations have changed and become more strict. When mine were small it was one but that has indeed changed since that time. However, while all states have laws for use of child safety seats, those laws do vary from state to state.

This is the link to the CDC recommendations regarding child safety seats. CDC - Child Passenger Safety Fact Sheet - Motor Vehicle Safety - Injury Center

You know, "standards" are always changing. Before these newest sparks of brilliance came to light, and we were doing it "the old way", I don't remember there being a lot of dead, crippled babies out there from horrendous car accidents. In fact, the babies usually fared the best in accidents. I think that the important part is that the baby is secured, and not flying all around the car. There's where you get into trouble.
    Florimel likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    According to the material I read, the recommendations changed a year or two ago about the recommendations for staying in rear facing until age 2. It was increased due to the statistics that indicated it was needed.
    This happened right about the time my son turned 1. It is not a requirement to keep them rear facing for 2 years, it is a recommendation . . . and one you have to weigh along with the other factors. In my case, my son grew out of the infant seat by 6 months and by a year, his legs were crammed onto the back seats. My pediatrician actually said there would be more damage in an accident because of how scrunched he was if he was rear facing. So we turned him around. While I will agree with you about the convertible, I don't think it is fair to judge her for having Ivy facing forward, because we don't know all the facts or the reason why she made the decision.
    prhoshay likes this.

We can agree to disagree about Beyonce and this issue. I think there are facts that support why having the baby in the convertible that way was not advisable, but the biggest thing to me is that when you see someone who puts themself out as a doting parent, then the expectations are there that they would really look out for their kid. I think Beyonce does that.

She puts out there how she buys only the best for her baby with a million dollar nursery suite, $50,000 pram and $30,000.00 windmill playhouse, but yet she can't get the safety issues straight. This includes the father. He is also present and responsible, IMO.

She and her husband are public figures. They put themself out there. They know they will be photographed when in public with their daughter, yet they flaunt the careless handling of their child. An open car for a baby is extremely dangerous. My first reaction, even before confirming the recommendations was, OMG. Are you kidding me? It's the reason that most states, including NY, make it illegal to have any child under the age of 10 on a ATV. The convertible offers no protection in a crash or roll over.

Happy First Birthday, Blue Ivy! | Clutch Magazine

I wish Beyonce would spare the expensive gifts for the child and invest in some parenting classes, that focuses on safety first. I do worry about the welfare of her daughter. It's like they just don't think and it's not an isolated incident.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    This happened right about the time my son turned 1. It is not a requirement to keep them rear facing for 2 years, it is a recommendation . . . and one you have to weigh along with the other factors. In my case, my son grew out of the infant seat by 6 months and by a year, his legs were crammed onto the back seats. My pediatrician actually said there would be more damage in an accident because of how scrunched he was if he was rear facing. So we turned him around. While I will agree with you about the convertible, I don't think it is fair to judge her for having Ivy facing forward, because we don't know all the facts or the reason why she made the decision.
    My kids were switched to forward facing at 1 year, before this rule change. I was in the same situation though. My kids have been tall pretty much since birth and were definitely crammed up against the back of the seat when they were rear facing at 1 year of age. There is no way we could have continued that practice for another year!

FORT Fogey

I have to disagree with the way you've described Beyonce as a public parent. When her documentary came out, a big deal was made out of the fact that we'd finally get to see Blue Ivy, and what we saw was a very quick glance and nothing more. Beyonce and Jay Z have been sharing a bit more of their private lives while they've both been on tour this year, but they are VERY private for a celebrity couple - remember we didn't even know they were married until a while after they had done it ... which was the confirmation the public finally got that they were a couple to begin with! They have done some over the top things - the way they got total privacy when Beyonce gave birth to the point that other patients had a hard time receiving visitors was over the top. But they ahve not been a couple that has sold baby pictures, taken their kid out constantly for people to admire, and ooh and ah non-stop about being parents. I think they've given little bits and pieces knowing that if they tried for TOTAL privacy they'd create more of a stir around their daughter, but haven't gone over the top. Yes, when a couple is in the public eye, the things they do will be scrutinized. I'm not in the public eye, and I felt the scrutiny. But just because it's done doesn't mean it's right. I think that women spend WAY too much time scrutinizing, judging, and slamming other women who do things differently than they would. I think it would be nice if a little more acceptance was given to the notion that there is more than one way to be a good woman, and assume the best about people until given reason to believe different. I'd still let Beyonce babysit my kids before I would Casey Anthony or Andrea Sniderman!
    prhoshay likes this.

This car safety site recommends the parent look more to protecting the child from the dangers of being in the open air and focus less on being fashionable. So put the top up.
    Convertible Caution : Auto Updates

In my research, I was surprised to see that one of the biggest concerns with convertibles is hearing damage, even for adults! Maybe they had her wear little baby ear plugs. Naaay. I can't see it.

I respect those who think Beyonce's parenting is fine and there is no need for concern over safety. I get it. I just have my own opinion about it. Unfortunately, I don't think it's last we'll hear about similar things in the future.

How sure are you that this picture of the baby was not just posed for a photo op?

Debb, you and your husband should raise your baby the way you see fit.
    Florimel likes this.

Um, wow. I have no particular love for Beyonce, but the idea she is endangering her child by the "wrong" car seat and transporting her in something that's not a minivan is...well. I guess I see too many children who are actually neglected every day to take this seriously.
    prhoshay, Florimel, Rattus and 1 others like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread