+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5274Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh yes. Kate seems to be the wonderful, adoring, appropriate granddaughter that the Queen only dreamed of having. I see no problem there.

I was hoping for a James or Philip, but I do like Alexander. Any chance he'll be called Alex or Xander? lol
    Only by the press!

I think it's a lovely name. Anyone who's surprised that they picked something traditional hasn't been paying attention. One online article I read said that they might pick something out of the ordinary because some cousin of the prince had named his daughters Savannah and Isla (or something like that). Yes, that's fine for someone who's 25th in line for the throne, but not for the child that will, most likely, become king. While William and Catherine have been a bit non-traditional in some areas, I think in many others, they've shown a strong respect for tradition. Just like they were never going to name their daughter Diana, they were never going to name their son Dylan.

As for the PPD story, the baby was barely 24 hours old. How would the media know about that already? I call b.s. Plus, does PPD set in THAT fast? Like in a matter of hours?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I think George is a great name. It's a good solid traditional name.
    Traditional names are a bigger thing now than they were before. I'm glad they didn't give him one of those trendy new names. They always seem so shallow & pretentious. Kind of like the Blue Ivy's of the world.

George was the Queen's father, & grandfather too for that matter. She's going to love that. He's the one who The King's Speech was about.
    I like that they're honoring him. And it's an honor to the Queen too.
    The Queen will be thrilled,.It will suit the little guy as he grows

Plus, does PPD set in THAT fast? Like in a matter of hours?
    No, the press is an @ss
    Coco46 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

libgirl, thanks SO much for the info and the link!

"George" IS certainly a fine, aristocratic name. And SURE, it was the regnal name of QEIIs daddy (and five kings prior to him, of course!). But, I've gotta admit, it'll have to grow on me.

Critical, I TOTALLY agree with you and FM that there is no WAY --- in the space of 24 measly hours --- they could make a determination that Kate has (or is a sitting duck for, at least) PPD, and that they're asses.

PPD MIGHT show up with her eventually (after THIS pregnancy, or perhaps a subsequent one), then again, it might NOT. Example: My cousin's had FOUR kids. The FIRST three, no PPD in sight at ALL. The FOURTH? Oh. My. God. It. Was. BAD.

Let me leave it at that.

And, because of the previous three pregnancy aftermaths where NOTHING seemed out of the ordinary (except that she'd given birth, of course!), NONE of us saw it coming, or suspected that it'd come. It freaked ALL of us straight into the middle of the next week!

So, how in the HELL the press would know anything that's going on mentally with someone who's only been a mother for a little over 48 hours at this point is beyond any of my powers of comprehension.

Until and unless any of 'em step forward and can admit to having suffered PPD PERSONALLY, I'm calling a WHOLE lot more than bull$#!+ on THAT particular story that's floating around out there.

These lunatics seem to me to be SO eager for ANY tie-in at ALL with Diana that they're pulling crap out of the ether to try to spin it into a credible tale.

Wow.
    Last edited by ness; 07-24-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    Miss_Griss, libgirl2 and AmyKay like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I think George is a great name. It's a good solid traditional name.
    Traditional names are a bigger thing now than they were before. I'm glad they didn't give him one of those trendy new names. They always seem so shallow & pretentious. Kind of like the Blue Ivy's of the world.

George was the Queen's father, & grandfather too for that matter. She's going to love that. He's the one who The King's Speech was about.
    I like that they're honoring him. And it's an honor to the Queen too.
    I have visions of Colin Firth going through my head.... *sigh*

SEriously, you do make a great point. And he really was a gentle soul from what I have read.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 07-24-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Nobody ever used the words 'post-partum depression' with me, but I'm pretty sure it hit me right after I had my son, pregnancy #1 and only, by choice. The nurses had to call me and ask me "Don't you want to see your baby?" I hadn't called for him; my husband would visit with him and bring him to the room when he came to the hospital. I was quiet and withdrawn; I had, unexpectedly, had a C-section. My husband did most of the bonding and childcare for almost 2 weeks after we came home. I eventually came around and loved my new job.
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Nobody ever used the words 'post-partum depression' with me, but I'm pretty sure it hit me right after I had my son, pregnancy #1 and only, by choice. The nurses had to call me and ask me "Don't you want to see your baby?" I hadn't called for him; my husband would visit with him and bring him to the room when he came to the hospital. I was quiet and withdrawn; I had, unexpectedly, had a C-section. My husband did most of the bonding and childcare for almost 2 weeks after we came home. I eventually came around and loved my new job.
    I think I might have had a touch of that, then again, my hated MIL (now ex MIL) was coming to stay the weekend after my son was born and her visits always brought me down. Though I know I wasn't getting much sleep and was still hurting after my c-section. My time in the hospital was such a haze, from the meds mostly. My son also was pretty much wide awake at night for the first week. But like you, after that, we got on a normal schedule and I also came around.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 07-24-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    prhoshay likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

A few days after I came home from the hospital with my first child, I felt like all the fun & enjoyment I'd ever felt in life had just been taken away from me. Like I'd never have fun again, or never enjoy doing anything I'd enjoyed again, or never love life again. My whole life would now be nothing but feedings, diapers, raising the child. Nothing for ME, just the child. A life of hard work, worry & servitude. Things would never be the same or good again. I felt like joy was gone forever.

Nobody ever said the words Post Partum Depression. I did have a few people say I "just had the blues". I wanted to smack them. It wasn't the "blues". It was the life ending miserables!
    Looking back, knowing what I know now, PPD is exactly what I had. It lasted somewhere around a month.

Then life was fun again, just different. My children brought me tons of joy & excitement & happiness. They still do. Plus there was plenty time for stuff for ME!

I just wish people would have recognized this for what it was back then instead of just brushing women off & devaluating their feelings with the "blues" comments.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I was hoping Spencer would be a middle name somewhere. They seem so much to want to make sure Diana is remembered, right down to the polka-dot dress and baby showing. I know they have tons of tradition to uphold, but I just was hoping.
    libgirl2 and AlwaysVeg like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A few days after I came home from the hospital with my first child, I felt like all the fun & enjoyment I'd ever felt in life had just been taken away from me. Like I'd never have fun again, or never enjoy doing anything I'd enjoyed again, or never love life again. My whole life would now be nothing but feedings, diapers, raising the child. Nothing for ME, just the child. A life of hard work, worry & servitude. Things would never be the same or good again. I felt like joy was gone forever.

Nobody ever said the words Post Partum Depression. I did have a few people say I "just had the blues". I wanted to smack them. It wasn't the "blues". It was the life ending miserables!
    Looking back, knowing what I know now, PPD is exactly what I had. It lasted somewhere around a month.

Then life was fun again, just different. My children brought me tons of joy & excitement & happiness. They still do. Plus there was plenty time for stuff for ME!

I just wish people would have recognized this for what it was back then instead of just brushing women off & devaluating their feelings with the "blues" comments.

Very interesting, and I think I can see some of myself in your words. I've never discussed PPD with anyone since I don't think I really saw what I went through worthy of discussion; nobody brought it up, and neither did I. Yes, I could see Kate having a PPD issue this quickly, after giving birth. I would never question the speculation. I am curious as to where it originally came from. One thing that I find bothersome is how much pressure we, AS, can put on OTHER WOMEN with whom we share monumental common experiences; we tend to judge when we should be trying to support each other.....at least, not judge, anyway.....be it about how we run our homes or PPD.

Just one woman's opinion. YMMV.
    JulieAnn likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

The thing that bothers me about the PPD story with Kate is that the story is claiming it happened because of pressure from the queen. No, PPD does not happen because of external sources. It happens because the body struggles with balancing hormones. If the people around them are so buttoned up on their privacy that the baby was around for four hours before anyone knew he had been born, then surely those same people would protect Kate's privacy to not let ANYTHING come out about real PPD. So clearly the story is made up. But if they are going to make it up, they should at least acknowledge the real causes of PPD and not promote the idea that the queen can cause it!
    ness, libgirl2, JulieAnn and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread