+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4589Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

From what I read, she switched legal teams to one of the top labor firms in the country. The statement was that her old legal team didn't have the breadth of experience to handle her situation. So me thinks they either thought this would go away easily, or that it wasn't a terribly difficult case. The issue is with everything that has come out and happened since, now there is this big assumption out there in the employee's favor. So now the case is not so easily win-able, and now she apparently needs the "big guns". MOO.
    ness likes this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Based on the media and now some lawyers weighing in, I just feel that PD is just totally ignorant and of course doesn't know how much. That racism is so ingrained in her psyche that she cannot recognize it, even in this day and age. So much so, that she was just being her "down-home southern self" that the racist attitude just doesn't register with her.

Many years ago, someone was throwing out a bunch of racist statements while in my company. And I thought to myself, "it's not my job to change someone's attitude" or "I didn't raise this person" When I thought about it later, my stance changed. If I don't do it, who will? I may not be able to make a big difference, but I could make a small change by speaking up. And that is my responsibility, to help facilitate small changes. It is all of our responsibility to try and make those small changes for the greater good. While I don't think that we should shun and ostracize those who have prejudices, it does open up a larger dialogue. We can't just eliminate those who are racist by hoping they change, we can help in small ways to have those teachable moments and share our opinions.

While Paula is taking a hit financially, I wonder if she will ever understand what is so offensive about her language use or attitude? I hope her lessons are more about racial sensitivity and not the almighty dollar.
    ness, Shoepie, Lizard and 3 others like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Very interesting post!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I am not a labor law attorney, but there are some things that all litigation attorneys recognize when representing their client. You have to always look at worst case scenario. With the allegations against Paula, the lawyers knew what kind of questions would be coming. We know this, because Paula was ready to answer the question about when she was robbed. She said that right off the bat. The reason is she knew that report was in the other counsel's hands and she couldn't avoid it.

What I would do is a prep deposition where I would pretend to be the other party's attorney and ask questions like they are likely to ask. If they had done that and Paula had given her answers, the attorneys would have put some big time brakes on it and said SETTLE, IMO. It's up to the client, but rarely can high profile client's benefit from airing dirty laundry.

As the attorney, you aren't allowed to judge the client. You just represent them as zealously as possible within the confines of the law. You try to have the legal action impact them as little as possible. Hindsight in 20/20, but it seems some things went wrong with PD. Either way, a new set of legal eyes is sometimes a good thing. I'm not sure what they can do now. I wonder if settlement would help her at this point.
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-13-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    ness likes this.

KatesMom, JunkieGirl and Debb70:

I like all of your posts.

My thoughts on some aspects of each . . .

KatesMom:

Apparently she’s got another Savannah firm on the case, as well as a heavy-hittin’ labor law firm out of Washington, DC. Which also happens to come with its own in-house, heavy-hittin’ labor law superstar attorney.

I agree that her original legal teams were most likely under the assumption that Jackson would go away easily and that this wasn’t a terribly difficult case. Given that the person Jackson is going up against is the too-famous-for-words Paula Deen, that is. And yep, there IS this big assumption out there in Jackson’s favor, now. ESPECIALLY since there are OTHER current (?) and former employees relating goings-on at Deen and Co. that bolster Jackson’s story.

JunkieGirl:

She IS ignorant. Ignorant and ARROGANT. Think back to the Lauer interview when she --- in essence --- said that all the controversy and trouble that was swirling around her at that point was due to people who “want what I have.” IIRC. And, even WORSE: “I is what I is and I’m not changin’!”

Whoah.

JMHO, but with that last statement, alone, Paula basically told the world: “Build a bridge and get over it, ‘cause I’ma SAY what I WANNA say!”

She’s also scary, in her ignorance and arrogance. Why? Because ITA with you that she actually seems to not have a flamin’ CLUE of what all the fuss is about. In a way, to me, she’s pretty much in the same boat that, say, an anorexic or bulimic is in that they can stand in front of a mirror and not at ALL see the frightening, one-foot-in-the-grave-and-the-other-on-a-bananna-peel bag of bones that they’ve become.

We can talk about this from now ‘til the Second Coming. I think that Paula will never, ever, TRULY, from her HEART, own up to being a hurtful racist because she literally, TRULY doesn’t BELIEVE that she IS a hurtful racist.

No, I don’t believe she’ll ever understand what is so offensive about her language use or attitude, either.

And THAT is scary --- and sad, too --- because to me (at least), it means that she is pretty much a lost cause.

Debb70:

Thanks for specifying that you are NOT a labor law attorney. That brings up something that has been really bugging me . . .

I think it was pretty obvious from the get-go that PD either had some TRULY inept handlers/legal counsel, OR she had a head that was hard as a rock and wasn’t listening to ANY of ‘em.

Putting the agent, PR handlers and/or rock-hard head aside . . .

What I’M trying to figure out is, WHY didn’t anybody apparently bring up PD getting a firm that SPECIALIZED in LABOR LAW (or at least had a good attorney that SPECIALIZED in labor law already on staff) before she did that disastrous deposition and first “apology” video and kept ON going straight down into hell from there?

I mean, say you have a GP. He/she suspects or KNOWS something is up with you, has a battery of tests run, and the answer comes back that, say, you’ve got Stage 4 cancer.

Now . . .

Would it seem reasonable to you that at the point your GP discovers that you’re in BIG trouble with a disease that is TOTALLY out of his/her league and scope of practice to deal with, that he/she WOULD REFER YOU TO AN ONCOLOGIST?

Or, at THAT point, would you, YOURSELF, be asking your GP for a referral to a good oncologist (if one was not already on staff in his practice, or he/she didn't know --- or know OF one, at LEAST by rep). IF a referral from him/her was not immediately forthcoming, that is? Or would you be calling the AMA for a referral? Or searching the Net for the name of someone?

I mean, you might love your GP to DEATH, but if he/she tells you you've got Stage 4 cancer, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU LET HIM OR HER ALONE MANAGE YOUR CANCER TREATMENT?

If that were MOI, that is NOT a situation in which I would continue to dance with the one that brung me, so to speak. I'd change partners quick, fast, and in a hellified hurry.

It's JMHO, but, it seems to me that PD bringing a big gun labor firm/attorney on board NOW is like closing the barn door after half of the horse is already out of it.

I know she’s desperate. But I’M trying to wrap my mind around the concept of what she thinks this new Raises-the-Dead Washington firm is going to be able to do for her. For all practical purposes and to all reasonable appearances, she IS dead, at this point.

MAYBE they’ll be able to resurrect her.

But I’m not betting on it.

And why, oh WHY didn’t one, or BOTH of her original Savannah firms take this seriously, realize that Jackson was not just saber-rattling, and advise PD to drive her cows to a big-gun, labor law pasture?

Could it POSSIBLY have been because they didn’t want to see their goose that was laying their golden eggs fly off to another nest?

Maybe.

Didn’t do ‘em any good, though, ‘cause that goose is LONG gone, now.

And it wouldn't surprise me in the LEAST to hear, somewhere down the road, that PD has filed a lawsuit against her two original Savannah law firms for mismanagement and mishandling of her case.

This is a worm that's gonna just KEEP on turning, at least for awhile, I think.
    Lizard likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

You sure have a way with metaphors, ness!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    KatesMom, JunkieGirl and Debb70:

She’s also scary, in her ignorance and arrogance. Why? Because ITA with you that she actually seems to not have a flamin’ CLUE of what all the fuss is about. In a way, to me, she’s pretty much in the same boat that, say, an anorexic or bulimic is in that they can stand in front of a mirror and not at ALL see the frightening, one-foot-in-the-grave-and-the-other-on-a-bananna-peel bag of bones that they’ve become.
    Hi Ness. I always love your posts. But taking a cue from JunkieGirl's advice about facilitating small changes by speaking up, I feel I must go OT to say something here.

PD's circumstances couldn't be any more different than those of people suffering with anorexia and bulimia. Anorexia and bulimia are horrific mental illnesses that leave their victims unable to think or reason normally. The effect of starvation on the brain leaves victims of these disorders incapable of rational thought, which causes the body dysmorphia phenomenon you spoke of, among other irrational behavior. It is a madness that is difficult to explain unless you have witnessed it.

Eating disorders are not the result of ego, ignorance or arrogance, as I believe are Paula Deen's problems. No one who descends into the hell of these diseases starts out trying to starve themselves to death.

Thanks for listening.

I now return you to your regularly schedule Celebrity discussions!
    Miss_Griss and ness like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Hi Ness. I always love your posts. But taking a cue from JunkieGirl's advice about facilitating small changes by speaking up, I feel I must go OT to say something here.

PD's circumstances couldn't be any more different than those of people suffering with anorexia and bulimia. Anorexia and bulimia are horrific mental illnesses that leave their victims unable to think or reason normally. The effect of starvation on the brain leaves victims of these disorders incapable of rational thought, which causes the body dysmorphia phenomenon you spoke of, among other irrational behavior. It is a madness that is difficult to explain unless you have witnessed it.

Eating disorders are not the result of ego, ignorance or arrogance, as I believe are Paula Deen's problems. No one who descends into the hell of these diseases starts out trying to starve themselves to death.

Thanks for listening.

I now return you to your regularly schedule Celebrity discussions!
    mushybrain . . .

Thank you SO much for caring enough to point out the comparison in my post that --- unintentionally, of course --- apparently came off incorrectly or offensively.

I believe you have enough of a feel for who I am at this point to realize that I truly meant no insult at ALL to those that suffer from these eating disorder mental illnesses.

The comparison was merely born out of the basic idea that just as those who suffer from these eating disorders cannot see themselves as they truly are, physically, so it is that Paula Deen ALSO cannot "see" herself for what SHE truly is.

Let me be ABSOLUTELY clear about this:

What I feel are Paula Deen's ego, ignorance or arrogance played no part at all in my basic comparison with anorexia and bulimia, and were never intended to. They couldn't have, seeing as how the root cause of Paula's not being able to see and understand why she is SO wrong in her words and actions TOTALLY and pretty much obviously comes from a different mental place than the root cause of why someone winds up being anorexic and/or bulimic.

MY wording and comparison had ONLY to do with blindness in the sense of not being able to see yourself physically, OR character-wise, as you truly are.

Again, I thank you for being gracious enough to inform me that my words and/or wording obviously caused offense to some.

Again, none was intended, and I hope that that can be seen and understood through this post.
    Last edited by ness; 07-14-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    mushybrain likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Oh, ness. Your post was not offensive to me at all. I'm sorry if I made you feel that it was.

Having lived through the hell and desperation of witnessing first-hand a loved one being consumed by an insidious eating disorder has made me overly sensitive. Having experienced gross ignorance among judgemental doctors and therapists who should have been aware of current research, studies, and treatment methods for these disorders, but weren't, just added to my feeling of helplessness and left me rather defensive, even years later.

Thank you. I so appreciate your kind words.

(And I so love your bright and cheery blooming roses!)
    ness likes this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Oh, ness. Your post was not offensive to me at all. I'm sorry if I made you feel that it was.

Having lived through the hell and desperation of witnessing first-hand a loved one being consumed by an insidious eating disorder has made me overly sensitive. Having experienced gross ignorance among judgemental doctors and therapists who should have been aware of current research, studies, and treatment methods for these disorders, but weren't, just added to my feeling of helplessness and left me rather defensive, even years later.

Thank you. I so appreciate your kind words.

(And I so love your bright and cheery blooming roses!)
    Thank YOU, mushybrain!

I didn't --- and don't --- see and/or perceive you as being overly sensitive. Not at ALL. I saw --- and see --- you as another person who cares and wants people to be aware, who wants to educate us all, so we continue to learn and grow.

And what better person to do so than someone who has witnessed this type of horror at very close range? As well as seen at very close range that having an MD after your name does NOT guarantee common sense and compassion. We sometimes tend to put the medicos on pedestals (myself included, at times!), and that is NOT a good thing. We need to be reminded that ignorance can come from ANY direction, or profession, or walk of life.

And, to be reminded of that is NOT a negative thing; it's a fact that we all need to be wise enough to acknowledge and remember. And if those of us who have walked in those shoes don't choose to share their experiences in this --- or any other --- regard, then those of us who've never walked in those shoes are going to be thrown for even MORE of an emotional loop should we ever have to walk this road ourselves. Or will never be able to glimpse the other side of an equation so that we can get even a tiny idea of what it's like to be on the opposing side of an ugly situation.

OR deep within it.

I can CERTAINLY see and understand how you might perhaps have cautious and wary feelings years later about this issue.

No harm, no foul.

I am so very, very sorry about your relative, and hope everything there came to a satisfactory, healthy conclusion.

As for the roses . . .

THANK you!

I like roses just a wee tad bit!!!!!

LOLOLOLOL!
    mushybrain likes this.

+ Reply to Thread