+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4938Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Not even when that individual is a woman
    Quoting myself here because I type some pretty random stuff on here and usually just cringe and let it go but this is more out there than usual. I meant to say it's not really relevant in this situation that Paula Deen is a woman and then go on to say...but you would think it would make her more sensitive to the power dynamics of bigotry. I think my feminist empowerment stance slipped in there somehow, though, even though it was entirely inappropriate to the rest of the thought.

And since DL mentioned Anderson Cooper and I follow him on Twitter and saw the tweet, I wanted to post this apology that Alec Baldwin made to GLAAD.

Baldwin has now released a statement to GLAAD, saying, "I have worked, periodically, with numerous marriage equality organizations, especially over the past couple of years, to achieve the very rights that gay couples are earning by recent court decisions. I would not advocate violence against someone for being gay and I hope that my friends at GLAAD and the gay community understand that my attack on Mr. Stark in no way was the result of homophobia. As someone who fights against homophobia, I apologize."

And GLAAD's Vice President of Communications, Rich Ferraro, has released this statement: "Alec Baldwin is making it clear that the intent behind his tweets does not excuse his language, especially at a time when there were 11 incidents of violence against gay men in New York City just last month. As we all work to end such senseless acts of violence, allies like Baldwin are right to use these moments to reinforce support for the community and LGBT equality.
    Alec Baldwin On Latest Twitter Rant: "I'm Not Interested In Offending Anyone": Gothamist

I'm glad Anderson called him out on this and I don't think his apology totally excuses his remarks but I really don't think Alec's main problem is being bigoted, I think it is more that he has douche tourettes.

Thoughts?
    ness and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I really don't think Alec's main problem is being bigoted, I think it is more that he has douche tourettes.

Thoughts?

I think Alec is another person that would do well with a lock on his mouth. It seems like every time he opens it, he plants his foot square in the middle.
    ness likes this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I think Alec is nasty person, who often gets away with saying bigoted things. He has all sorts of excuses afterward. Alec has a bigger ego than he does a career
    bee stung lips likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

That’s pretty interesting (and thanks for posting it Debb) but I’m not seeing a huge level of support there, other than some support for the general idea of redemption and those individuals are politicians, which is very different from corporate executives making decisions with regard to what is in the best interests of their companies from a broad spectrum of vantage points.

I do somewhat agree that there could be a very long-term path for Deen for a measure of societal redemption with some qualifying ifs attached like: A) If she is found not guilty of workplace discrimination, B) If she is capable of developing a much more consistent attitude with regard to the concept of personal responsibility and C) If she can really authentically get what is so unjust about a discriminatory mindset and speak to why it is so harmful -- because if she can genuinely see the light then maybe she could help others see the light as well.

ETA: As far as her making a commercial, corporate comeback, however, I don't support it nor do I really see the possibility for it. Equality is very much on the rise in this nation and truly does have an impressive amount of corporate support and something like that would be an affront to all of that.
    Last edited by chrisg; 06-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    ness and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

That’s pretty interesting (and thanks for posting it Debb) but I’m not seeing a huge level of support there, other than some support for the general idea of redemption and those individuals are politicians, which is very different from corporate executives making decisions with regard to what is in the best interests of their companies from a broad spectrum of vantage points.

I do somewhat agree that there could be a very long-term path for Deen for a measure of societal redemption with some qualifying ifs attached like: A) If she is found not guilty of workplace discrimination, B) If she is capable of developing a much more consistent attitude with regard to the concept of personal responsibility and C) If she can really authentically get what is so unjust about a discriminatory mindset and speak to why it is so harmful -- because if she can genuinely see the light then maybe she could help others see the light as well.

ETA: As far as her making a commercial, corporate comeback, however, I don't support it nor do I really see the possibility for it. Equality is very much on the rise in this nation and truly does have an impressive amount of corporate support and something like that would be an affront to all of that.
    Agreed, chrisg.

Random, straight-off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts . . .

No, I still don't feel sorry for Paula, and still wish she would just . . .

Shut.

UP.

And.

Go.

AWAY.

Those feelings are born out of MY feelings on her "Today" interview with Matt Lauer, as well as the fact that she just KEEPS opening her big mouth and making her situation go from bad, to worse.

I mean, for her to say in that interview: "I is what I is!" And thereby take NO active responsibility at ALL for what SHE said and/or did that was WRONG?

OK.

Got it.

Paula obviously doesn't know or understand what all the fuss is about. She's going to continue going on her merry way, thinking the things she's said and (allegedly) done in her restaurants --- as well as other things outside of them --- are OK, her "apologies" notwithstanding.

At this juncture, it still doesn't seem to me that she has any real, actual remorse for her words and/or actions that have come back to haunt her now. That, to me, is a MUCH bigger deal than her using the "word". She doesn't seem to have a clue WHY it just was NOT a good thing for her to say to a black guy on tape --- as recently as 2010, IIRC --- that he should remove himself from standing in front of a black backdrop, because he couldn't be seen.

THEN try to justify that statement by busting loose with: "Welcome to the South!"

Not funny.

I can certainly see and understand how and WHY she has been --- and IS being --- dropped left, right and center by her employer and business partners (with there being the very real possibility of even more let-gos to come, from what I understand). As some have already pointed out, bottom line: "It's not personal. It's just business." And, of course, it's felt within these companies that the general public perception nowadays is that if you'll lie down with a dog, most likely, you'll get up with its fleas.

And a lot of people simply don't care to deal with flea-infested persons, or COMPANIES, I think.

Paula is a very ignorant, arrogant woman. And while the ignorance --- with NO excuse being afforded for it in this day and age --- is ONE thing, for me, the almost unbelievable ARROGANCE on her part is a completely DIFFERENT kettle of fish.

Seems to me like your chickens just might've finally come home to roost, Paula.

At this point in time, I believe that your best bet would be to shut UP, and fire whoever your legal and PR teams are (since they've apparently not had the sense enough to head for the door themselves, yet). You need to get others in their places (IF you can FIND good, reputable replacements that'd be willing to take you and your stinking mess on, that is!). You need to LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE, DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO, then . . .

Ride this out to whatever its even more painful end is going to be.

After THAT . . .

Shut UP.

And GO AWAY.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 07-01-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    prhoshay and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Hmmm . . .

Looks like Kim has yet ANOTHER reason to be ticked about her thunder being stolen . . .

Jessica Simpson Gives Birth To Baby Boy Ace - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV.com

Congrats to 'em!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Congrats to Jessica. I've always liked her & she handled pubicity on her pregnancies & weight gain far better than Kim.
    I hope little baby Ace & both parents are doing well.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Congrats to Jessica. I've always liked her & she handled pubicity on her pregnancies & weight gain far better than Kim.
    I hope little baby Ace & both parents are doing well.
    I think she is such a sweet person.
    I am happy for them .
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Cathy Lee and Hodi discussed Paula today. They say it's rumored that Paula may do Dancing With The Stars! I can hardly belief it.
    ness likes this.

+ Reply to Thread