+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5064Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I have no desire to argue the points about Paula Deen because I'm not a fan nor does it make any difference in my life. But I really have a problem w/how distorted the story has been. Yes, 30 years ago, she used a bad word.......who among us can say we've always been perfect?
    Also, I really didn't see the supposed issue about the bathrooms while I read the depo. Nor did I see anything racist in the entire depo.
    I can say that the woman is not very bright, not very educated and cannot speak well. All this has probably made her look worse than she is and I feel sorry for her.
    But people are going to believe whatever they want to believe.
    I noticed today that Anderson Cooper tweeted wondering why Alec Baldwin can get away with calling a reporter a "flaming queen" and no one says anything. How is that any different?
    I read an article asking the very same question. The reporter opinioned that it's because Paula is a woman and that there are people who have a very hard time with a woman being successful. That they enjoy putting a successful woman in her place and that is why this whole thing has been so blown out of proportion with so many downright lies being reported. There are men who have done/said much worst and they have not been attacked like she has, they have not lost everything like she has.

I just don't get it.

As I've said before, I'm not a fan. I would never eat anything she cooks, I can't stand the way she acts/talk but I do feel sorry for her. The lies being reported are just sad.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't feel sorry for a person who really seems to work so hard at making bad decisions. None of you feel sorrier for Paula Deen than Paula Deen feels for herself.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't feel sorry for her. But it does seem that everyone wants to jump all over her, while others have free reign to say what they like. If she is being made an example, of- lets hope it doesn't stop with her!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I don't feel sorry for her. But it does seem that everyone wants to jump all over her, while others have free reign to say what they like. If she is being made an example, of- lets hope it doesn't stop with her!

Can I, as a resident of the area surrounding Va Beach, please request that we start with Pat Robertson?

The man has come up with some doozies and yet his tv show is still on the air. He's never been one to hold back his opinion, whether it's about ugly women whose husbands deserve to have an affair, gays who control the weather or Haitian's who brought about their own earthquake.
    JulieAnn likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I read an article asking the very same question. The reporter opinioned that it's because Paula is a woman and that there are people who have a very hard time with a woman being successful. That they enjoy putting a successful woman in her place and that is why this whole thing has been so blown out of proportion with so many downright lies being reported. There are men who have done/said much worst and they have not been attacked like she has, they have not lost everything like she has.
    I was wondering this myself. No, I don't condone Paula Deen's actions, but the reactions are quite extreme. I think of Martha Stewart or Marion Jones (athlete), who were jailed for their offenses, while their male counterparts received comparative slaps on the wrist.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Can I, as a resident of the area surrounding Va Beach, please request that we start with Pat Robertson?

The man has come up with some doozies and yet his tv show is still on the air. He's never been one to hold back his opinion, whether it's about ugly women whose husbands deserve to have an affair, gays who control the weather or Haitian's who brought about their own earthquake.
    I 100% support equal treatment. If she is being crucified like this then let's not stop with her. I just have to wonder if perhaps that news article didn't touch on a kernel of truth. That it's because she's a woman (and a Southern woman to boot) who has made a success of herself that the media and so many have turned so ugly against her. Some of the things being reported are so ridiculous that it's obvious they are lies.

Pat Robertson is a good example. Countless other males who have done much worst and get what amounts to a pat on the back and thumbs up while a woman gets completely destroyed.

I just don't get it.

I would be fine with it if everybody was treated like she's being treated but they aren't. That's what makes me feel sorry for her.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

No entity can simply force a company to have a continued association with an individual who has expressly proven herself to be racially insensitive within a sociological power dynamic that harkens back to slavery and segregation, ideologically speaking. It just doesn’t work that way. Not even when that individual is a woman -- although one would have thought that being a woman would have made her more sensitive to the power dynamics of bigotry. How unfortunate that it did not. I personally find it extremely unfortunate that this was not the case for Paula Deen and it genuinely makes me quite sad.

As far as logical counterparts go, there are no very similar male counterparts to this scenario that I am aware of, because an African-American rapper utilizing a same or similar term -- under entirely different circumstances – does not remotely create the same sociological power dynamic, although it does have a different level of inappropriateness. When it comes to people like Pat Robertson or Rush Limbaugh, come sit by me!! It is again up to the companies involved with these individuals, though, what actions they take with regard to their oppressor class bigoted statements and I think the crucial difference is that they both have built in audiences with similar xenophobic mindsets which, again, makes me very sad.

As far as lies go, the only blatant provable mistruth I can find thus far in this scenario comes from Deen, herself, since she somewhat effectively perjured herself by vehemently insisting to Matt Lauer that she only said the N-word once when, in her deposition – a legal document under file within our justice system – she indicated otherwise. Assuming things are lies does not make them so and I feel like this is a very slippery slope, logically speaking. The case on file with the court against Deen has been reviewed by PUSH which is a civil rights group involved in it's filing, I believe, and they apparently have interviewed multiple corroborating witnesses. As I stated earlier, I think we have to see how many other employees come forward and what they substantiate with regard to the allegations.

And the people I feel sorry for are Deen’s honorable fans and her honorable business colleagues -- which she has severely let down -- as well as those she has offended by her expressions of bigotry. The N-word "of course" words that severed those contracts and ended her show by offending so many came from Deen’s own mouth and no one but she is responsible for them -- no matter how much she attempts to deflect responsibility onto others and make herself the victim.
    prhoshay, ness, Shoepie and 2 others like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I followed a thread , it was tied into face book and most of the people that posted(M & F) were people of color. They said, they themselves should stop saying the N word, and most of them said they didn't think that would happen. Of course there were a few rude posts that simply called white people a word, none so disgusting as the N word, but those words still hurt. I am from a part of Canada where everyone is supposed to be a redneck. Oh you voted for him? or her- you must be a blue collar **** redneck. I am not, and never have been. I was thrilled that our military base was the first to raise the gay pride flag on a Base in north America, I know I am off on a tangent, sorry
    I guess I get tired of the name calling, but I am also tired of this oh so PC world we seem to live in now. I mean no disrespect to ness or bee, I have come to value you , along with others. Reading both your posts made me so sad.
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

The N-word has been considered a vile and vicious insulting putdown to A-A people for hundreds of years, not just in this "oh so PC world we seem to live in now." Every member of other races has had plenty of time to become fully aware of that, so using that word is a deliberate attempt to demean the person or people to whom it is addressed.
    prhoshay, ness, chrisg and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Have to disagree to a certain extent here. The PC movement didn't give power to the N word. The power in that word existed long before political correctness came about. Its been a long held fact that nothing hurts as deeply as the sting of a derogatory word especially that one in particular. The fact of the matter is, words have power.

Mind you, I'll be the first to agree that political correctness has run amok in today's society. But in a case like the N word where the sting of years of slavery still exists for many, expecting the meaning of the N word to just go out the window is expecting a little too much, IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    It sure has run amok bee
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread