+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3898Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    I read the depositions myself.

Someone who has admittedly used the N-word admittedly expressing a desire to have African-Americans tap dancing around as they did in the humiliating days of black-face paints a factually disturbing picture regarding that individual's lack of understanding of racial equality.

Racial inequities did not magically end with the end of slavery. There are reverberations of deeply offensive discriminatory attitudes throughout our history and black-face tap dancing is one that is widely historically acknowledged. The obvious unfortunate implication that Deen is well aware of that -- and not merely innocently uneducated to it -- is implicit in her mention of not wanting the media to find out about it.

And Paula Deen's biggest problem is how she is directly presenting herself, both legally and with regard to her image in interviews.
    Perhaps we are reading different documents -- the example you mentioned I thought was what Jackson claims Deen said?
    I agree with you that the things being reported are horrible. I just am not sure they are true.
    Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

I've never been a fan of Paula Deen but I got tired of reading so many differing articles, describing her. So I sat down and read her deposition....all 149 pages of it.
    I found nothing racist at all........and I was looking for it. It has been terribly distorted. It also shows that the former employee who's suing her, was not ever Employee of the Year in her behavior while working for the Paula Deen Enterprises.
    The attorney kept inserting the work "plantation" as it was never used by Paula. It's right there in black and white. There is no statements that say anything about white or black bathrooms....only guest bathrooms and employee bathrooms.
    Sounds to me like a witch hunt.
    I would encourage people to read the depo and see how twisted the media has made this.
    mom2, Florimel and Little Sew&Sew like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    *snip*
    I would encourage people to read the depo and see how twisted the media has made this.
    Not just the media, I'm starting to feel sorry for her and I hate feeling that way because I've never liked her.

I have never liked her persona, her personality, her "aw shucks I'm just a good ol' Southern woman". Being from the south (Louisiana), I never wanted somebody like her representing it because I always found her to be an over-the-top caricature.

So I am not happy at all that I've started feeling sorry for her but I'm reading all these half-truths, misquotes, and complete and utter fabrications that are being reported about her and then I'm watching her entire livelihood crumbling at her feet and I feel pity for her.

This does not make me happy.

(Do not take this as any sort of endorsement of her or anything she may have done, I just feel sorry for her)
    Photobabe likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I've never been a fan of Paula Deen but I got tired of reading so many differing articles, describing her. So I sat down and read her deposition....all 149 pages of it.
    I found nothing racist at all........and I was looking for it. It has been terribly distorted. It also shows that the former employee who's suing her, was not ever Employee of the Year in her behavior while working for the Paula Deen Enterprises.
    The attorney kept inserting the work "plantation" as it was never used by Paula. It's right there in black and white. There is no statements that say anything about white or black bathrooms....only guest bathrooms and employee bathrooms.
    Sounds to me like a witch hunt.
    Thank you Dragonlady for pointing out that this does seem like more of a witch hunt than anything else. I was very harsh in a previous post about PD and will be more careful. So many times I take what I hear on the news as face value (I know, I should know better by now), mainly because I don't have time to read up on things. I still stand with the fact that anyone who deliberately discriminates should know better (words do hurt as related to what Ness went through as a child). I'm not sure now that this applies to PD.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

I think some of us may be reading different documents, in a manner of speaking, because I have read both depositions, not just one. And Jackson's claims are not any less worthy of consideration than the numerous claims Paula has now made, some decidedly contradictory. Regarding the African-American tap dancing wedding theme, my understanding is that the only specific of that conversation that Deen denies is the alleged use of the N-word in that particular instance. It is entirely possible that she contradicted herself with regard to those specifics in another part of the deposition that I missed because her ramblings are sometimes hard to follow.

Regarding the 'black' and 'white' bathrooms it is clear from reading both depositions that there is an employee and a customer bathroom, nominally speaking -- no one disputes that as far as I am aware -- but there is an allegation that the Caucasian employees were encouraged to use the customer bathroom while the African-American employees were told to use the employee bathroom, so that the African-American employees effectively became segregated. And I am going to just bottom line this with two concluding thoughts: the legal case has still yet to fully play out and both sides will be considered, not just Deen's. If there are numerous witnesses that back up Jackson's allegations, as has been alleged, Paula and Bubba are going to have to come up with one heck of a conspiracy theory to explain away this alleged hellish discriminatory nightmare with multiple witnesses backing it up.

Secondly -- and this is big bottom line with regard to outcomes already determined -- the companies that cut ties with Deen did so because of her own admission of the use of the N-word, specifically with the addendum of, "of course".

It is my firm belief that corporations with executives that are well familiar with history and sociology are painfully aware that there is no comparison between someone of a historical oppressor class using that word toward the oppressed class and African-Americans sometimes leveraging that word to try and claim and re-brand it in order to gain some empowerment. (I agree entirely with the posts of Shay and BSL that this occasional path in the African American community is absolutely not the way to go about that, but consider it a side issue because there is simply no comparison between the two uses since the original use stems from a dynamic of oppression and power -- in one of the nastiest historically recorded uses of oppression and power in all of human history -- and the other stems from a confused and pained historical reaction to that.)

So, to try and tie this all up, in my day job I look at companies to determine what makes them worthy of clients' money and also to determine potential business partnerships for public offerings. So, I look very carefully at company management every single day. And I look for management that holds and promotes solid free market values. I look for strong leadership. I look for integrity. I look for consistent character and a steady hand at the helm at all times, particularly in times of crisis management. Paula Deen has displayed none of these qualities. And, not only that, but in admitting that she has used the N-word -- along with a flippant "Yes. Of course" -- she has made the skin crawl of everyone in business management who looks at the world through an equitable paradigm. These final few paragraphs sum up the consensus I have been hearing the past week from within the business community. And I am not familiar with the business community falling victim to witch hunts. We operate on logic, not emotion.
    prhoshay, ness, Shoepie and 4 others like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fogey

Eccellent post, chrisg.

I thought this was an interesting commentary.
    Janus Adams: An Open Letter to Paula Deen
    ness and chrisg like this.
    Count your blessings!

I just thought of something VERY positive to say about Paula Deen:
    Since all of this scandal, or whatever you want to call it, hit.........
    Here at FORT & the media in general has quit talking about Kim Kardashian!

I'll bet it's frying her (Kim's) hide.
    Florimel, ness, libgirl2 and 6 others like this.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Oh yeah. I bet Kim is freaking out. It's so nice to have her out of the camera's eye for awhile. Kris is trying to make up for it though.
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh yeah. I bet Kim is freaking out. It's so nice to have her out of the camera's eye for awhile. Kris is trying to make up for it though.
    Yes Kris and her 'Bruce just needed a place of his own" .It couldn't have been a man cave, somewhere on their property. It had to be whole new home - I suspect she has told him, the money dries up if he isn't there for filming happy families
    ness likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread