+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5064Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I think my question upthread was misinterpreted by some.
    I do understand why "plantation" would be offensive. The quotes I've read from PD refer to a Southern wedding. To me, that is NOT the same meaning. Do others not see it that way?
    We're all just walking each other home. ~ Ram Dass

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    The plantation style parties she threw.
    The wedding she planned.
    Her grandfather had slaves and "they were just like part of the family.

Google for more. Things are peppered throughout her conversations.
    The bolded part is taken out of context and I suspect much of these other "damning" points that are being reported are as well. That was her comment when she discovered that her ancestors owned slaves when she was on the show "Who do you think you are?" (or some title like that). I watched that episode, she was horrified. She made that comment, I think, as a way to justify it somehow in her own mind.

My husband and I were talking about some of these items today and it's my belief that she is not racist. I think she's just not a very bright woman and perhaps a bit "dumb" to certain things. She probably meant to say "antebellum" and couldn't come up with the right word to describe the restaurant she'd seen and the wedding she was trying to create using that theme so she called it "plantation."
    Florimel and KarmaWins like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Newbie

Harmony2000 - I agree with everything you've said. I think maybe a lot of things that have been attributed to her in this past week have been taken out of context. And thank you for the word "antebellum". That was the word I was looking for in my post upthread, and just could not come up with.

FORT Fogey

Allegedly (and I say allegedly because I read and heard in the media that she said it but did not hear her actually say it) she wanted her "antebellum" or "plantation" style wedding party to include as servers only black men dressed up as they would have been in that era... and in that era they would have been servants, if not outright slaves. As far as the restuarant where she got that idea, if indeed that is the truth, I can't imagine any black people who would feel comfortable dining there. However, I am not black, so perhaps I am wrong about that, but I know that I would not be comfortable there myself. Regarding the comment that she didn't actually call the robber the N-word, I don't agree. She did call him the N-word; he just wasn't there to hear it. And yes, he did a terrible thing, but even extreme circumstances don't justify racist slurs to me.
    ness and Shoepie like this.

FORT Newbie

I read her deposition - in describing the servers in the restaurant that she had been to she referred to them as "professional middle-aged black men" "professionals, not somebody that's been a waiter for two weeks" "and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie". The lawyer asked why couldn't they be men of different races. And her response was that they could be, but she was relating her experience at dinner at a specific restaurant on a specific night - and that was the staff. In reading that description, I just don't picture slaves in my mind. I see a professional wait staff, as opposed to a bunch of 20 year olds wearing t-shirts.
    Florimel likes this.

Depositions in the Paula Deen case cite the following discriminatory practices (as a sampling):

* A separate restroom and back door entrance requirements for African-American employees.

* Caucasian employees routinely paid more than African-American employees in similar positions.

* An employment practice wherein Caucasian and light skinned African-American employees were deemed acceptable in positions that dealt with the public in the front of the restaurant while those with darker skin tones were generally restricted to employment positions in the back of the restaurant.

* An employee who worked as a cook repeatedly called “a little monkey” by members of the Deen family.

* When an employee challenged Paula’s brother Bubba regarding discriminatory practices, Bubba is alleged to have responded: “You don’t have any civil rights here.”

The incident regarding the plantation/southern style wedding is recounted here:

The filer of the lawsuit, Lisa Jackson (the former general manager of a Savannah restaurant owned by Deen and her brother) claimed last year that the chef specifically expressed her desire for bevy of tap dancing "little n***ers" to send her brother off to married life with Southern flair. (Unfortunately, Deen allegedly decided against that plan out of fear the media might somehow twist her cute idea into something racist.)

In her suit, Jackson alleges Deen said, “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n***ers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around. Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.”

In her deposition, Deen acknowledges that the discussion took place, but denies using a racial slur.
    Paula Deen Says 'Of Course' She Uses the N-Word

Paula Deen very well may have said southern wedding rather than plantation wedding but that appears a quite hollow distinction given all of the above.

And while depositions are allegations as part of a fact finding exercise prior to trial, the things Deen has already readily admitted to her deposition raise red flags not to mention the fact that many of these instances of discrimination apparently have more than one witness to them.

And while there are no laws about being a racist in your own home, there are laws against discriminatory employment practices. That is what this case is about and what has been placed into evidence thus far is compelling disturbing to say the least.
    ness, libgirl2, Critical and 2 others like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I don't think it's a hollow distinction at all. The racist version in Jackson's deposition is very different from Deen's version... even down to describing who was present and where the conversation took place.
    Personally, my husband and the company he works for battled baseless racial accusations which were proved false in court ; thank goodness hubby is a nobody because how terrible IF you're vilified for something that is presented incorrectly.
    It's scary how fast and furious judgement comes in social media outlets.
    We're all just walking each other home. ~ Ram Dass

FORT Newbie

chrisg - your quote recounting Lisa Jackson's description of the wedding plan conversations is a very much embellished version. The actual description from Jackson's deposition contains nothing about tap dancing or the n-word.

It may be a minor point to some, but the accusations of discrimination in the lawsuit are all aimed at her brother, not her.

And the "little monkey" comments - not made by members of the Deen family, but by another employee - who was fired for it - according to Lisa Jackson's deposition.

And I just find it curious that in her deposition, Lisa Jackson said that she did not feel that Paula Deen was a racist, and had never heard her discriminate against others. If Paula Deen was really the racist she is being made out to be, why would Lisa Jackson not have taken advantage of the opportunity of this lawsuit to really pin her to the wall?
    Shoepie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    I don't think it's a hollow distinction at all. The racist version in Jackson's deposition is very different from Deen's version... even down to describing who was present and where the conversation took place.
    Personally, my husband and the company he works for battled baseless racial accusations which were proved false in court ; thank goodness hubby is a nobody because how terrible IF you're vilified for something that is presented incorrectly.
    It's scary how fast and furious judgement comes in social media outlets.
    I read the depositions myself.

Someone who has admittedly used the N-word admittedly expressing a desire to have African-Americans tap dancing around as they did in the humiliating days of black-face paints a factually disturbing picture regarding that individual's lack of understanding of racial equality.

Racial inequities did not magically end with the end of slavery. There are reverberations of deeply offensive discriminatory attitudes throughout our history and black-face tap dancing is one that is widely historically acknowledged. The obvious unfortunate implication that Deen is well aware of that -- and not merely innocently uneducated to it -- is implicit in her mention of not wanting the media to find out about it.

And Paula Deen's biggest problem is how she is directly presenting herself, both legally and with regard to her image in interviews.
    ness, Shoepie, mushybrain and 1 others like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Sorry for the double post but, other than repeating that I read the depositions myself, I feel like Bubba is a separate issue.

The one mitigating factor I see with regard to Paula Deen, individually, is that Bubba does seem -- according to the depositions -- the ring leader of sorts amongst the two siblings. He honestly comes across like nothing short of a full-fledged Faulknerian nightmare.

The fact remains, however, that Deen (her brother has a different last name) is also involved with the management of the restaurant and apparently, according to witnesses, was not only informed of the discriminatory practices but advised to put an end to them and chose not to.

As to whether Lisa Jackson considers Paula Deen a racist or not, different people have different definitions of what rises to meet that standard for them. And, once again, this is about discriminatory employment practices because that is what is against the law. As much as I would love for racism to be against the law -- because I would make some great citizen arrests I believe -- this is about employment discrimination, which is, in a sense, a doubling down of bigotry.
    ness, Shoepie, mushybrain and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread