+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5064Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Whoopie spoke about this today. She said it is not about the N word; that is the part that brought everything else to light. It is Paula's nostalgia about the pre civil war era and her inability to see the horror of it.

It was after her interview on Today that sponcors pulled out quickly aside from Smithfield. Her whole personality/persona reflects an ignorance and a refusal to look at her situation with any clarity or insight. She apologized for hurting anyone; well that is not the point. She still fails to see why it is making everyone uneasy all the way to revulsed.

It is not about her being a good person; I am sure she is. Good people say and think bad things sometimes. Again, not the N word. The package of Paul Dean no longer works for those who have backed her. Sure, it is about the "almighty dollar." That is what sponcors are about and why Paula has made it as far as she has. They have served her well. Paula Dean Enterprizes is a business, a big one. Her CEO would do the same thing if someone threatened the profits.

Since she will no longer have a show to promote her products it is logical that Walmart said they would not place any further orders. The reason is they might not be able to make money from them and that is why they are in business. It was a smart decision.

To say this is all about a "slip" of the N word is not accurate, though that is horrific in itself.

^ How has Paula Deen showed a nostalgia / inability to see the horror about that period? I still don't get that part.
    prhoshay likes this.
    We're all just walking each other home. ~ Ram Dass

FORT Fogey

Also, any white person with half a brain knows how insulting and vicious it is to call someone that word. When Matt Lauer asked her about HER use of the word, instead of answering the question, she started babbling about how "distressed" she is to hear the way the young men in her kitchens talk to each other. It's not about THEM, Paula ... it's about you! She totally deflected the question.
    prhoshay, ness, Shoepie and 1 others like this.

FORT Fogey

Not to defend Paula Deen, but unfortunately, she's not alone in romanticizing the pre-Civil War/Civil War era. I keep an eye open for modern re-interpretations of that era, because I've taught a good deal of Civil War literature, and people on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line are guilty of that. Just as an example, I once toured a house that had been used as a Confederate field hospital. There were still bloodstains in the floor of a room that had been used as a surgery, because it had seeped so severely into the wood. The bodies of five Confederate generals had been laid out on the porch at once. There's cemetery for the Civil War dead from that battle on the grounds. But it's also a popular place for weddings, and while I was there, families were having photos taken in the garden for their Christmas cards. I found the whole thing kind of creepy, but a lot of people were fine with it, because it was such a beautiful antebellum home (which is supposedly incredibly haunted, though nothing happened while I was there...or at least not to me). I guess they were able to look past the days the battle took place, and the remnants of slave cabins, and think about the rest of the history of the place, but I just couldn't.

I also had the operators of a very nice Confederate history museum thank me for looking into "their side" of the story when they found out I was a northerner who taught Civil War literature. It never really occurred to me to think of "sides." I teach northern and southern, black and white, male and female, contemporary-to-the time and modern pieces, simply because it's the only way, IMO, to try and deal with such a complicated subject. I also found it kind of odd that they considered that they were portraying a particular side of the war. They didn't seem to be trying to glorify the south or vilify the north. The exhibits were pretty straight forward with information about the artifacts involved without a lot of interpretation of any kind. Granted, most of the artifacts were southern, but that's what they would have had access to in that area, and the kind of stuff I don't see as much of up north, which is why I went there.

Incidentally, we've sometimes gotten into discussions about the n-word in class, because it's obviously in some of the literature. It's a tricky subject even there, because you don't want to offend anyone, but at the same time, the literature that uses it certainly doesn't always glorify it, and if the piece is supposed to represent that era, or does represent that era, in that that's when it was written, it's a word that was then commonly used. If we pretend it wasn't, are we then trying to paper over ugliness that we need to acknowledge?
    JulieAnn likes this.

FORT Fogey

I meant to add, what will be interesting is what happens long term as a result of this controversy. We all could list celebrities who've screwed up big time in one way or another and lost sponsors and then made a comeback. We also know those who haven't managed to recover. I'm curious as to which camp she'll end up in after a couple of years, because it will indicate how society (and business) views what she's done in comparison to what others have done and why.
    captain likes this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post

Incidentally, we've sometimes gotten into discussions about the n-word in class, because it's obviously in some of the literature. It's a tricky subject even there, because you don't want to offend anyone, but at the same time, the literature that uses it certainly doesn't always glorify it, and if the piece is supposed to represent that era, or does represent that era, in that that's when it was written, it's a word that was then commonly used. If we pretend it wasn't, are we then trying to paper over ugliness that we need to acknowledge?
    I don't think people should pretend it isn't there when it's in literature. After all, it's there for a reason and is part of the story. Although I do understand people being uncomfortable when reading it, especially if they have to read it aloud. I remember back when I was in grade 11 (eons ago) one of the required pieces of literature my English class had to read was To Kill a Mockingbird. The teacher always had each of us students read portions of whichever book we were reading at the time, aloud to the class. I was the only black student in the class and whenever one of my classmates had to read a portion of the book where the N word was mentioned, s/he would hesitate when they had to say the word. I remember being uncomfortable over it, but I think it was mainly because whenever the word was read aloud, all twenty-seven sets of eyes would immediately look over at me to see my reaction. But even then I understood that the author of that particular piece of literature used the word to convey the history and era of the story. I totally got / still get that. I perfectly understand when the word appears in a piece of literature, or is said in a movie within the context of telling the story. I guess what I'm saying is, I understand it being used within the confines of a fiction story to convey the message.

Gratuitous utterings of the N word in real life, however, are a whole other story. And that includes both rappers and racists.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 06-27-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    prhoshay, Florimel, ness and 3 others like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

I don't know, Tilden, it doesn't seem the same to me given the reports that PD wanted to make a pre-Civil War-themed wedding for her brother, complete with African-American male servers dressed in authentic costume from the slavery era. That's not like paying respects to a pre-Civil War monument or site or teaching/learning the history of that time. It's more like having a Holocaust-themed wedding with Jewish men serving dressed up as concentration camp inmates.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I don't know, Tilden, it doesn't seem the same to me given the reports that PD wanted to make a pre-Civil War-themed wedding for her brother, complete with African-American male servers dressed in authentic costume from the slavery era. That's not like paying respects to a pre-Civil War monument or site or teaching/learning the history of that time. It's more like having a Holocaust-themed wedding with Jewish men serving dressed up as concentration camp inmates.
    Yes, I have to agree. This post and the one by BSL has me thinking I am totally wrong..thank you both
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    ^ How has Paula Deen showed a nostalgia / inability to see the horror about that period? I still don't get that part.
    The plantation style parties she threw.
    The wedding she planned.
    Her grandfather had slaves and "they were just like part of the family."

Google for more. Things are peppered throughout her conversations.
    ness and chrisg like this.

FORT Newbie

This is quite obviously not going to be a popular opinion here, but I just thought perhaps a little clarification might be needed. Please keep in mind that I am NOT condoning the use of the word. With that said, Paula Deen did not "call someone that word". She admittedly used the word, in the privacy of her own home, while describing to her husband the terror of having a gun held to her head. Many may not think that makes a difference, but as compared to walking around using the word in conversation, or in someone's face - I think that's a difference that matters.

Many have spoken about her wanting to plan a "slave-themed" wedding. In actuality she wanted a "plantation-themed" wedding. Did she come up with the idea for this on her own? No, she got the idea after dining at a restaurant with that plantation theme. I think that as a nation we have gone way too far to the politically correct side. If this theme is so despicable in people's minds, than why hasn't that particular restaurant been picketed and shamed into closure? Are some people in this country so busy looking for examples of racism under every rock, that no one deserves the benefit of the doubt? Why does the word "plantation" HAVE TO refer to slaves? Why can't it also mean southern gentility, and mint juleps, and "Gone with the Wind"?

And one final question - why did Lisa Jackson (the woman who filed the lawsuit that started this) state very clearly in her deposition that she did not think that Paula Deen was a racist, and had in fact never heard PD make racist comments?
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread