+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3911Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

It might seem to some that the punishment is greater than the crime, but what I think is greatly working against PD is the fact that she was seen as a jolly soul just oozing love (if not butter) and goodwill to all from her pores, and now to find out that she was planning pre-Civil War plantation parties complete with African American men in period costume as servers as they would have looked in slavery time (in what universe is that okay??!!), and that her reply to whether she had used the N-word was an apparently cavalier "of course," as if there's nothing wrong with that. Then there's her excuse of being a Southern woman of a certain age, which doesn't hold water and is clearly a huge copout! There are plenty of white people who were raised in the South and are around her age (including me) who would NEVER use or even think that word and who find it appalling and abhorrent! And I don't care if some AA people use that word in rap songs or conversation .... that has nothing to do with me and does not give me permission to say it, not that I ever would!

She also came across as insincere in the Today show interview, contradicted what she had said previously and was trying to get sympathy as a victim. That doesn't work for me at all, and apparently not for a lot of other people, as well. The contrast between the image she created of herself before all this, and the crap that is hitting the fan now is just too pronounced for her to salvage her career, at least in the foreseeable future. She should devote herself to working for a civil rights organization, and maybe she will learn something and appear more humble and contrite.
    chrisg likes this.

I thought she was a sincere as she could be. Everyone around her cringes at what she says .but I truthfully don't think she sees anything wrong in it. She isn't very bright, but I just don't see her as cruel. AA singing and saying the same words irks me, it usually about rape and killing. All very very wrong. If the N word is wrong for PD its wrong for everyone= maybe they should devote some time to a civil rights organization along with PD
    Florimel likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I thought she was a sincere as she could be. Everyone around her cringes at what she says .but I truthfully don't think she sees anything wrong in it. She isn't very bright, but I just don't see her as cruel. AA singing and saying the same words irks me, it usually about rape and killing. All very very wrong. If the N word is wrong for PD its wrong for everyone= maybe they should devote some time to a civil rights organization along with PD
    Thank you for saying this!!! I have been staying out of the fray, but this is so, so true!
    Florimel likes this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

The main reason Paula is losing all her business sponsorships is because we live in a very politically correct era. Corporations are looking to avoid controversy like the plague as it may affect their bottom line. They don't want to run the risk of pissing off customers.

They'd all rather distance themselves from her rather than be associated with someone branded as a racist and / or homophobic.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 06-27-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    The main reason Paula is losing all her business sponsorships is because we live in a very politically correct era. Corporations are looking to avoid controversy like the plague as it may affect their bottom line. They don't want to run the risk of pissing off customers.

They'd all rather distance themselves from her.

Yes - it's all to do with the bottom dollar.
    Florimel likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

What's bothering me is the power that is being given to one word.
    It's a rotten word, an ugly word, an insulting word, a derogatory word, a demeaning word. A WRONG word. But it's just a word.
    All of a sudden people are judged & generalized & condemned & fired, & have their livlihoods in jeopardy for what? A word. Not an action, but one word.

There are other words just as vile, in my opinion, demeaning all sorts of groups of people. I've had a few of them used on me & they were beyond hurtful. They were downright demoralizing & humiliating. But for some reason the users aren't as villified.

Something is wrong with society & the whole Political Correct movement, when they give such power to a word.
    NCLurker and Florimel like this.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    What's bothering me is the power that is being given to one word.
    It's a rotten word, an ugly word, an insulting word, a derogatory word, a demeaning word. A WRONG word. But it's just a word.
    All of a sudden people are judged & generalized & condemned & fired, & have their livlihoods in jeopardy for what? A word. Not an action, but one word.

There are other words just as vile, in my opinion, demeaning all sorts of groups of people. I've had a few of them used on me & they were beyond hurtful. They were downright demoralizing & humiliating. But for some reason the users aren't as villified.

Something is wrong with society & the whole Political Correct movement, when they give such power to a word.
    Have to disagree to a certain extent here. The PC movement didn't give power to the N word. The power in that word existed long before political correctness came about. Its been a long held fact that nothing hurts as deeply as the sting of a derogatory word especially that one in particular. The fact of the matter is, words have power.

Mind you, I'll be the first to agree that political correctness has run amok in today's society. But in a case like the N word where the sting of years of slavery still exists for many, expecting the meaning of the N word to just go out the window is expecting a little too much, IMO.

Last edited by bee stung lips; 06-27-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    prhoshay, chrisg and AlwaysVeg like this.

I see your point, Bee. That one word does carry with it an awful lot of ugly history. Most others, no matter how ugly don't carry that much baggage.
    prhoshay, ness and bee stung lips like this.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I see your point, Bee. That one word does carry with it an awful lot of ugly history. Most others, no matter how ugly don't carry that much baggage.
    It's truly unfortunate that it carries such history, but it does.
    prhoshay, ness and chrisg like this.

A word shouldn't hurt so much, but that one is a word that is more then just its letters.....
    chrisg likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread