+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4944Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

What do you make of the black people who have come to Paula's defense? I read yesterday that Al Sharpton said they shouldn't penalize her, that everyone makes mistakes and that he did not think she was racist. There were several other black men who said about the same thing. I wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    What do you make of the black people who have come to Paula's defense? I read yesterday that Al Sharpton said they shouldn't penalize her, that everyone makes mistakes and that he did not think she was racist. There were several other black men who said about the same thing. I wonder why.
    Sharpton always wants his name and such in these kinds of stories quite honestly. I AM surprised at his opinion on the matter, however.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

He has little credibility with blacks or whites. He is always seeking self promotion for something. He sticks his nose in every and anything that will get him media attention. He is pandering to people who support her for some reason that will probably remain unknown. IMO

I don't think Martin Luther King gave his life to allow this sh*t to continue.

Other than Sharpton, who else did Debb?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Other than Sharpton, who else did Debb?
    Kris Jenkins, football player and Aaron McCargo, Jr. He won Food Network Show. He defends Paula as being good to him and a supporter. And I just saw Whoopie say on tv that she dosen't believe Paula is a racist either. There are others. I'll post when I find their names.
    Last edited by Debb70; 06-25-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Pastor Gregory A. Tyson Sr., an African-American pastor at First Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church in Savannah told the local radio station WTOC that Deen is a friend of his and the black community. He added that using the N-word does not automatically make her a racist.
    Are we allowed to post links to news articles?

I think people should read what Sharpton said before assuming that he is defending her. He isn't. He said that she made a mistake and used a word in the past and that she should not be crucified for that. He said that the bigger focus should be on unfair hiring and employment practices. (Paraphrased, of course).
    Shoepie and tapper01 like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

Kris Jenkins, football player and Aaron McCargo, Jr. He won Food Network Show. He defends Paula as being good to him and a supporter. And I just saw Whoopie say on tv that she dosen't believe Paula is a racist either. There are others. I'll post when I find their names.
    Whoopie said much more than that sound bite. I went back to transcripe and I deleted it. She is horrified at the nostalgia Paula has about pre Civll war times. She is NOT pleased. The definination of racist has become subjective, oddly.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

FORT Fogey

In summation of all that has been said here (I know this is not the end of it), she is done. Done. Way too much controversy despite her supporters. No sponcors, no income. Done. Poison. No one wants to touch this no matter what she says. No matter how many tears. No matter how many black come to her defense. Over.

Everyone can be replaced and certainly a TV chef is among the easiest to erase. We are not talking about a CEO who is the pulse of an organization or a savant who has the knowledge to lead a company to Forbes 500. We are talking about a chef who is not even respected by her peers. There are many waiting in the wings who will bring the Food Chanel good ratings.

Deep fried cheesecake? I saw that. She wraps a piece of frozen, from the grocery, in a won ton skin and fries the damn thing in deep fat.

This is not a big deal for the FN. It may be a big deal for the publisher who is about to release her new book. Now that is too bad. Stop the presses, lets sell what we have printed and hope for the best!

Another media person bites the dust. Onward to the next mess. Amanda Bynes is working on top billing.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 06-25-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    ness and AlwaysVeg like this.

FORT Fogey

Everyone has had a racist thought at one time of their lives. White on black, black on white, whatever. And Paula grew up in an area where that word is tossed around like water. The context may not have been what most of us normally think of when we here the "n" word. Who knows. Regardless, it wasn't an ongoing pattern in her life and I don't think she is a racist.

One the hand, having said a derogatory word a time or two 20 years ago - seems like a crime that doesn't justify the punishment. On the other hand, however, I'm fine with Paula losing her endorsements. Had her sponsors remained aligned with her, it would have been an endorsement of the use of the "n" word. And that would be bad on soooo many levels.
    Last edited by Jexter; 06-25-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    NCLurker, Florimel, ness and 1 others like this.

sidenote: Paula missed the boat when she learned about her diabetes. Had she been upfront and had her legions' best interests in mind, she could have slowly moved her empire into a healthier direction - and achieved even greater success
    For some reason, I thought she had done that.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread