+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4954Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I don't think that people are viewing Paula as racist because of a word she's admitted to using. I think it's more because of her behavior - the description of the wedding she wanted to throw, etc. Her behavior, along with using the word, show that she lacks a sensitivity towards race issues. That's made worse by the fact that when she talked about it, she seemed to be saying it matter of factly, without any indication of regret. Now, she was talking about it in a court case, which may be the reason for a lack of emotion. But it's the big picture that is an issue - not merely a word.
    Oh, I just thought it was the N word.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Sick of people trying to give her a pass and making excuses for her.
    Like who, me? I was merely saying if its wrong for her to say the N word, I damn well think they should stop all rappers from saying it( oh, and singing about rape)
    Florimel likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There's no need to get defensive. It's not been an unpopular stance.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    There's no need to get defensive. It's not been an unpopular stance.
    I am not defensive, I was just saying the N word should be deleted from everyones vocabulary,
    Florimel, Shoepie and TripleGemini like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I don't think that people are viewing Paula as racist because of a word she's admitted to using. I think it's more because of her behavior - the description of the wedding she wanted to throw, etc. Her behavior, along with using the word, show that she lacks a sensitivity towards race issues. That's made worse by the fact that when she talked about it, she seemed to be saying it matter of factly, without any indication of regret. Now, she was talking about it in a court case, which may be the reason for a lack of emotion. But it's the big picture that is an issue - not merely a word.
    I hadn't thought about it like that, but it's a good point. And I wonder if the differences between how "quotes" are reported affects our impressions of Paula Deen... her statements and Lisa Jackson's statements differ greatly. I am interested to see how her interview on Today goes, too.
    The story posted upthread (about working for free) seems like too many details are missing to make sense.
    remember to play

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Oh, I just thought it was the N word.
    There is much more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    There is much more to it.
    I just saw her sons, I will wait and see what else
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I've been thinking about this Paula Dean story, and I think there is another piece of the story that is not getting much talk, and explains why some of the backlash against her has been so strong ... or perhaps should be stronger. Paula is known as a southern woman. Her accent is a key part of her persona, and her food certainly has a southern twist to it. Her restaurant is located in Georgia. Being southern is key to everything she is known for. Having lived part of my life in the south, I understand how important it is for many southeners to shed the racist stereotype that was placed on the region by history. I think that for many of her southern fans, this is all a big dissapointment because in some ways, it's a step backwards in the efforts that many have made to show that the south is moving past its racist history.
    waywyrd likes this.

FORT Fogey

I would love to be a fly on the wall these past few days as her handlers prepare her for the Today show interview. Without intense tutoring, she would bury herself even deeper because she doesn't even seem to realize the impropriety of half the stuff she blurts out.
    chrisg likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I would love to be a fly on the wall these past few days as her handlers prepare her for the Today show interview. Without intense tutoring, she would bury herself even deeper because she doesn't even seem to realize the impropriety of half the stuff she blurts out.
    I agree. We are going to hear a scripted speech. Her first attempt was insincere, glib and off base. "I am sorry if I hurt anyone." Well, no. No one is hurt, they are horrified and angry.

Bullet points:

*Use of N word with the "of course" answer, like we all have. Resent as 2010.
    *Wanting to stage a wedding as things were before the Civil War.
    *Hosting parties with all black male helped dressed up and standing around as window dressing. No talking to guests
    *Black employees use bathroom in back, not front of the house as white staff were allowed.
    *Paying black men in liquor for catering parties.

That is all I know now. More may surface later.
    chrisg likes this.

+ Reply to Thread