+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4541Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Smithfield Foods has dropped her.
    And the hits just keep OOOOOOOON comin'!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Eh, I'm done with Smithfield if they go Chinese anyway. Blech.

A local furniture store has yanked all the ads they had featuring Paula, also. Sounds like it's time to crawl off and retire!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Eh, I'm done with Smithfield if they go Chinese anyway. Blech.

A local furniture store has yanked all the ads they had featuring Paula, also. Sounds like it's time to crawl off and retire!
    Well . . .

It ain't like she's ever gonna be on the street pushing around a shopping cart that has all her worldly possessions in it and panhandling, so . . .

C'est la vie!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I had a friend on facebook pushing a "support Paula" page. I took a peek out of curiosity and all the people in pictures with her were obese. Yeah, that makes me want to support her (not).
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    It doesn't matter a lick to me about Paula's upbringing. She may have been brought up in an environment of hate,
    but that doesn't mean she must continue to at best, ignore it, and at worst, perpetuate continued racism.
    In my eyes, Paula Deen damned herself with her own words.

During the deposition, when she was asked: "Have you ever used the 'N word' yourself?" she replied: "Yes, of course."

She talked about an incident when she used the slur and was then asked "Have you used it since then?"

She replied: "I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time."

Her saying "of course" she has and "I'm sure I have" in regard to using racial slurs shows a complete lack of contrition and awareness. I don't care that she was brought up in a South rife with intolerance and hatred of another race. Plenty of people from the South never accepted racism, and railed against it, even many years ago, and plenty have grown enough personally to be ashamed of such vile treatment of other human beings.

Deen's answers make it sound like such words are indeed a matter of course in her life, and she should be excused her behavior by virtue of how and where she was raised. That sickens me.

Had she answered those questions by saying something like "I am ashamed and embarrassed to admit that I have used that word in the past," it would have at least sounded like she was sincerely sorry for being cruel and ignorant.

I know a lot of her fans are mad at the Food Network for not renewing her contract, but between this and the diabetes scandal, Paula Deen sealed her own fate.
    I could not have said it better. I totally agree. Excellent post.
    chrisg likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Thanks. This is one of several other stories circulating and I expect more people to come forward. Her comment (elsewhere) that she wanted black men at the wedding just like before the civil war!

Yes, Debb, this is much bigger than using the N word a few years ago. And it was as recently as 2010 so those that are hanging their hat on it being in her distant past are wrong. Like that would matter anyway.

I am interested to see her on Today tomorrow. Being sorry because she hurt others? No, no Paula, you hurt no one. Wrong word to use. No one is hurt by your behavior; they are appaulled, angered and revulsed. Smithfield and your other sponcors feel no pain! They will scoop up another food star quick like a bunny.
    prhoshay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    It just seems to be that there certainly must be more to it than what we already know.

Martha Stewart does jail time (albeit at Camp Cupcake) and she's still on tv.

Ina Garten refuses to meet with a DYING child and she's still there too.

Paula Deen admits - as a sixty-something Southerner - to having used the N word in the past and she's been booted? Hmmmm . . . .

I watched in the beginning but haven't seen her show in years. It's not the calorie count or the cholesterol/diabetes/fat that drove me away . . . I'm a grown woman and I can decide for myself if a recipe with a stick of butter and a cup of mayo is right for me. She chews with her mouth open and talks while eating . . . . two pet peeves and she violates them both, sometimes simultaneously!
    In fairness to Martha Stewart - she DID do jail time, including an extended punishment for breaking her house arrest. I disagreed with her decisions, but I think it's the fact she DID her punishment for the crime (although as you said on a lighter note than most of us would get), that has kept her from having the catastrophic collapse that Deen has had.

Then again - I still maintain it's ironic that the black community allows their youth to use the verbiage and term, but if a woman says it some time ago - it's "Woah that's racist."

I will say though if the allegations ARE true about her making African-American workers at her restaurant work as though they were plantation servants and didn't pay them, she's getting what she deserves. You CANNOT make folks work without pay, and liquor is NOT a compensation.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 06-25-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Then again - I still maintain it's ironic that the black community allows their youth to use the verbiage and term, but if a woman says it some time ago - it's "Woah that's racist."
    I agree. Bill Maher made mention about rappers, and their language. I said the same thing up thread. Its wrong for anyone to say it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I don't think that people are viewing Paula as racist because of a word she's admitted to using. I think it's more because of her behavior - the description of the wedding she wanted to throw, etc. Her behavior, along with using the word, show that she lacks a sensitivity towards race issues. That's made worse by the fact that when she talked about it, she seemed to be saying it matter of factly, without any indication of regret. Now, she was talking about it in a court case, which may be the reason for a lack of emotion. But it's the big picture that is an issue - not merely a word.
    ness and Debb70 like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sick of people trying to give her a pass and making excuses for her.
    Cootie, chrisg and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread