+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4587Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    It doesn't matter a lick to me about Paula's upbringing. She may have been brought up in an environment of hate,
    but that doesn't mean she must continue to at best, ignore it, and at worst, perpetuate continued racism.
    In my eyes, Paula Deen damned herself with her own words.

During the deposition, when she was asked: "Have you ever used the 'N word' yourself?" she replied: "Yes, of course."

She talked about an incident when she used the slur and was then asked "Have you used it since then?"

She replied: "I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time."

Her saying "of course" she has and "I'm sure I have" in regard to using racial slurs shows a complete lack of contrition and awareness. I don't care that she was brought up in a South rife with intolerance and hatred of another race. Plenty of people from the South never accepted racism, and railed against it, even many years ago, and plenty have grown enough personally to be ashamed of such vile treatment of other human beings.

Deen's answers make it sound like such words are indeed a matter of course in her life, and she should be excused her behavior by virtue of how and where she was raised. That sickens me.

Had she answered those questions by saying something like "I am ashamed and embarrassed to admit that I have used that word in the past," it would have at least sounded like she was sincerely sorry for being cruel and ignorant.

I know a lot of her fans are mad at the Food Network for not renewing her contract, but between this and the diabetes scandal, Paula Deen sealed her own fate.

Excellent, EXCELLENT post, mushybrain!!!!!

ICAM, and you COULDN'T'VE put it ANY better!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ness; 06-23-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    chrisg likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Hmmmmm . . .

Paula Deen Scandal Continues As Employees Tell Rainbow/PUSH Coalition Of Alleged Discrimination

Seems like there just might be a fire behind all the Paula Deen smoke.
    chrisg likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Wow. Thanks for posting that, ness. I'm ready to step back and let her karma play out. I just don't understand anyone with those kind of values.
    chrisg likes this.
    Count your blessings!

In an interview with The AJC, Patillo said Deen's use of a racial slur isn't the problem.

"It's a free country," Patillo said. "We have freedom of speech, and you can say what you want. Our issue is whether that mindset has filtered into employment decisions."
    This is the portion of the linked interview that caught my attention. Freedom of speech- yes. Freedom of action - no.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

As in "feel free to say whatever you want.....it's your chance to take"?
    chrisg likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

CNN had the actual transcript of Paula's deposition and I read it. Unless, I missed it, I didn't read that Paula admitted to using the N word in a very long time. In fact she said she did not approve of it and didn't use it. If she said anything else in that transcript please correct me. I read very quickly and could have missed something.

What I found quite bizarre and disturbing is the story she told about how impressed she was with the wait staff that she saw at a function in Tennesee or NC of black men in white jackets with ties. She was very impressed with them and wanted to use something like them for some event she had coming up, wedding or something. Her explanation of why she liked it, was disturbing to me. I am from the south and I wouldn't even think that kind of thing was good at all. IN fact, I would be offended by it. I think that's why the Food Network let her go, not the N word, JMO.
    ness and Shoepie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    What I found quite bizarre and disturbing is the story she told about how impressed she was with the wait staff that she saw at a function in Tennesee or NC of black men in white jackets with ties. She was very impressed with them and wanted to use something like them for some event she had coming up, wedding or something. Her explanation of why she liked it, was disturbing to me. I am from the south and I wouldn't even think that kind of thing was good at all. IN fact, I would be offended by it. I think that's why the Food Network let her go, not the N word, JMO.
    Yes, Debb. And have you read this:

Paula Deen Black Employee | Paula Deen Slavery Allegations | The Braiser
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

sounds like she had her own Colonial Williamsburg. If you have ever been there its like going back in a time machine. You get to see what life was like with interactions from people playing the parts of people from that era. How someone would work for free is beyond me though.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I read that article. It doesn't say what kind of employment the men had with Paula's restuarant. I'm not defending them at all, but wonder if that is all to the story. It sounds rather odd. Part of some restaurants business is catering. Catering involves having servers at the event. I wonder if those hours were included in their salary.

I'm sure the hour/wage issue will be investigated to make sure that her employees were properly compensated.

I bet Paula had no idea this thing would turn out so horrific.

I recall something that Paula said to Oprah when she did that home visit with her. Paula said she was always afraid that everything would go away and she would return to her days of poverty. She said it was always in the back of her mind and kept her in the proper frame of mind to take nothing for granted.

I've read that Paula is set for life and that this is not going to cause her style of living to change. And I hear she got another job. Still, it has to be devastating to have your name out there like this. I feel for her sons. You know they are sick about this.

I just don't understand why she thought the black men acting like servants was a nice thing. I just don't get it.
    Last edited by Debb70; 06-24-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Smithfield Foods has dropped her.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread