+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5245Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Oprah HATES the N word. I don't wonder she's hanging back on this one.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Oprah and Dr. Angelou had a discussion on the word and, as I recall, it was very interesting. Dr. Angelou said something about the word being poisonous, but I can't remember exactly what she said. I'd really like to see whichever show, and I am sure it was on OWN, again.

It's such a MEAN word. I think that black kids who use it and feel it's OK have not been educated in their culture and history. It's not OK.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Maya and Oprah don't have to make a comment and if asked they would probably respond that they don't like the word. As for their opinion on her contract not being renewed, that is the FNs decision. Just stay out of it. We all know it is bad and wrong. What more is there to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Maya and Oprah don't have to make a comment and if asked they would probably respond that they don't like the word. As for their opinion on her contract not being renewed, that is the FNs decision. Just stay out of it. We all know it is bad and wrong. What more is there to say?
    I agee. I just wish some rappers, or rap songs would be taken to task
    libgirl2 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

The discussion between Oprah and Dr. Angelou (if I referred to her as 'Maya", my mother would rise up from the grave and slap my face, I'm sure! ) is from a show that happened earlier this year. I'd really like to see that show again and, with their reruns on OWN, I'm sure it will replay again.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    No, Shoepie, Maya and The Big O DON'T have to make a comment about this debacle.

Just like WE don't.

I asked/wondered, etc., if Oprah had made any of her usual Grand Statements about this --- and am STILL doing so! --- based on the fact that O went to visit Paula at her home in Savannah early last year for one of her "Next Chapter" OWN shows. Gayle tagged along, of course. One would've thought the three of 'em were BFFs from the cradle, based on all the giggling, etc., that went on.

TALK about a back-slapping, big-hugging, glad-handing Mutual Admiration Society!

Ewwww.

So, why HASN'T O stepped up to the plate to defend her oh-so-good-friend Paula, yet? Or, at least, offer some of her patented pearls of wisdom --- or her gilded viewpoint --- on PD and what's happened?

I've also said before --- and will say again --- that, OTOH, with things having blown up with Paula as they have at this juncture (and with the subject of this particular PD mess being as ugly as it is, not to MENTION the fact that its hit the fan after the Diabetesgate PD mess, just a year or so, ago!), the BEST course of action for Walks-On-Water Oprah to take just MIGHT be to keep her head down and mouth shut about all of this, in the long run.

That's all.
    Last edited by ness; 06-23-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Oprah hasn't gotten where she is by being stupid or a knee-jerk reactionary. She's made a few mistakes & bad judgements in her career that she's been lucky enough to come out of with her reputation relatively unscathed.
    Maybe she's waiting to get more to the story, possibly from Paula herself.

With Oprah's own background she knows the strong influence of a person's background on their actions, habits & words.
    As mentioned above, Paula is a 60some year old product of the South. Things were different back then. People & prejudices were different then too. What was common & not a big deal back then are appalling, insulting, & incorrect now. Paula is a product of her background & environment.

I'm not excusing for a minute the use of such an appalling cruel & insulting word. I'm just wondering exactly what "in the past" means exactly. Last month? Last year? 5 years ago? Maybe 30 years ago or more? Was it common practice or a very rare slip out that was regretted immediately?
    It's still wrong, but it does make a difference.

Jumping to conclusions & calling a person a racist because a Southern girl used the word 30-40 years ago or more, rarely & has long since realized the wrongness if it & has long since grown past the cruelties of then, isn't really fair either.

It definitely affects my opinion of Paula Deen to the negative, but people & the media are often very quick to pass judgement on others, especially those who have become successful, without taking the whole story into consideration. At this point I think firing Paula is a knee-jerk reaction intended to make the firer appear noble.

I'd want to know more about the situation before I pass definitive judgement on the woman. Maybe Oprah feels the same way.
    mom2 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    With Oprah's own background she knows the strong influence of a person's background on their actions, habits & words.
    As mentioned above, Paula is a 60some year old product of the South. Things were different back then. People & prejudices were different then too. What was common & not a big deal back then are appalling, insulting, & incorrect now. Paula is a product of her background & environment.
    It doesn't matter a lick to me about Paula's upbringing. She may have been brought up in an environment of hate,
    but that doesn't mean she must continue to at best, ignore it, and at worst, perpetuate continued racism.
    In my eyes, Paula Deen damned herself with her own words.

During the deposition, when she was asked: "Have you ever used the 'N word' yourself?" she replied: "Yes, of course."

She talked about an incident when she used the slur and was then asked "Have you used it since then?"

She replied: "I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time."

Her saying "of course" she has and "I'm sure I have" in regard to using racial slurs shows a complete lack of contrition and awareness. I don't care that she was brought up in a South rife with intolerance and hatred of another race. Plenty of people from the South never accepted racism, and railed against it, even many years ago, and plenty have grown enough personally to be ashamed of such vile treatment of other human beings.

Deen's answers make it sound like such words are indeed a matter of course in her life, and she should be excused her behavior by virtue of how and where she was raised. That sickens me.

Had she answered those questions by saying something like "I am ashamed and embarrassed to admit that I have used that word in the past," it would have at least sounded like she was sincerely sorry for being cruel and ignorant.

I know a lot of her fans are mad at the Food Network for not renewing her contract, but between this and the diabetes scandal, Paula Deen sealed her own fate.
    ness, Shoepie, chrisg and 1 others like this.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

Very interesting post.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Oprah hasn't gotten where she is by being stupid or a knee-jerk reactionary. She's made a few mistakes & bad judgements in her career that she's been lucky enough to come out of with her reputation relatively unscathed.
    Maybe she's waiting to get more to the story, possibly from Paula herself.

I'm not excusing for a minute the use of such an appalling cruel & insulting word. I'm just wondering exactly what "in the past" means exactly. Last month? Last year? 5 years ago? Maybe 30 years ago or more? Was it common practice or a very rare slip out that was regretted immediately?
    It's still wrong, but it does make a difference.

Jumping to conclusions & calling a person a racist because a Southern girl used the word 30-40 years ago or more, rarely & has long since realized the wrongness if it & has long since grown past the cruelties of then, isn't really fair either.

It definitely affects my opinion of Paula Deen to the negative, but people & the media are often very quick to pass judgement on others, especially those who have become successful, without taking the whole story into consideration. At this point I think firing Paula is a knee-jerk reaction intended to make the firer appear noble.

I'd want to know more about the situation before I pass definitive judgement on the woman. Maybe Oprah feels the same way.
    Oh, no, no, no, Miss Scarlet . . .

Not once have I ever said or implied (to the best of my knowledge) that O is stupid OR a knee-jerk reactionary. And, I've never NOT given kudos to her for having gotten to where she is, in terms of money, fame, etc.

And yes, I'm STILL wondering when and IF she's going to make any commentary on this, for the very clear reason I stated in my post that appears above yours.

Regarding Paula . . .

Nope, I'm not jumping on the bandwagon to crucify her over this. As I've previously stated elsewhere on this board, her train pulled into the station with me when she continued to cook her traditional Southern-style recipes on the Food Network, knowing full well that as she did so, she'd ALREADY BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES.

And, as far as I can recall, the Food Network honchos found out at the same time as everybody ELSE in the country and world that she had HAD Type 2 diabetes for a WHILE prior to letting the cat out of the bag, and continuing to cook her Southern-style food on THEIR network as she did so..

Yet, they kept her on.

A lot of other employers might've canned her, after THAT.

So, nope, I don't see the FN 86ing Paula NOW as a knee-jerk reaction intended to make them appear noble, on their part. MHO is that it just comes down to: "Fool me once, shame on YOU!" (the diabetes coverup), "Fool me twice, shame on ME!" (the n-word controversy).

Frankly, if I'd've been in their shoes, I'd've not renewed her contract, either.

And, also, based on what I've read and heard so far, it's not just the use of the n-word that has a lot of folks hot under the collar about this. Apparently, there were also statements made by Paula to the effect that she'd like to throw/have a Southern-themed plantation wedding with black male servers dressed in white jackets, etc.

Whoah.

Not.

Good.

So, seems to me that there's a wee tad bit MORE going on with this.

All you have to do is Google "Paula Deen" and the info is all OVER the place.

So, yep, I've got my opinion on Paula's actions and statements, or lack thereof, in this mess, as well as Oprah's lack of commentary --- thus far --- on this.

If my having opinions and observations on Paula AND Oprah in this particular situation are serving to make me appear to be judgmental to some, then, so be it.

I can live with that.

JMHO.
    Punkin likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread