+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4658Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I thought FOX had already picked her up.
    I wouldn't be surprised.

Fox loves controversy and abrasive people, look at what they've done to Master Chef. I can barely stomach a show that once was really good, it's now amateur Hell's Kitchen.

They will probably encourage her to do more bad things just for ratings *eye rolls*. I'm not very impressed with Fox these days.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

It just seems to be that there certainly must be more to it than what we already know.

Martha Stewart does jail time (albeit at Camp Cupcake) and she's still on tv.

Ina Garten refuses to meet with a DYING child and she's still there too.

Paula Deen admits - as a sixty-something Southerner - to having used the N word in the past and she's been booted? Hmmmm . . . .

I watched in the beginning but haven't seen her show in years. It's not the calorie count or the cholesterol/diabetes/fat that drove me away . . . I'm a grown woman and I can decide for myself if a recipe with a stick of butter and a cup of mayo is right for me. She chews with her mouth open and talks while eating . . . . two pet peeves and she violates them both, sometimes simultaneously!
    mom2 and Florimel like this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Actually, I am surprised that FOX didn't pick up Michael Richards.....but that's another ball of wax today, anyway.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Paula Deen admits - as a sixty-something Southerner - to having used the N word in the past and she's been booted? Hmmm
    Hmm, it shattered my world.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Actually, I am surprised that FOX didn't pick up Michael Richards.....but that's another ball of wax today, anyway.
    Nothing to pick up; he does not have a show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    It just seems to be that there certainly must be more to it than what we already know.

Martha Stewart does jail time (albeit at Camp Cupcake) and she's still on tv.

Ina Garten refuses to meet with a DYING child and she's still there too.

Paula Deen admits - as a sixty-something Southerner - to having used the N word in the past and she's been booted? Hmmmm . . . .

I watched in the beginning but haven't seen her show in years. It's not the calorie count or the cholesterol/diabetes/fat that drove me away . . . I'm a grown woman and I can decide for myself if a recipe with a stick of butter and a cup of mayo is right for me. She chews with her mouth open and talks while eating . . . . two pet peeves and she violates them both, sometimes simultaneously!
    I think we know all there is to know. This came out when a former employee, of her restaurant, sued for sexual harassment. She/he talked about her racism. The law suit paired with her "of course" to the question, have you ever used the word n____, was enough. That wasn't does a bear sh*t in the woods question. I know no one that would have said, of course! There are more details to the story than just that one question. Her conversations were peppered with the word. She wanted to have "them" be waiters for a wedding party and on and on. It was part of the work environment. That is certainly enough to let her go. Too much controversy and I doubt her show was as popular as others.

Why did Ina refuse to meet a dying child? Odd but there must be details that could make sense.

Insider trading, though illegal, does not spike the ire of the viewing audience. Martha's stock trippled!

OMG she talks while chewing with her mouth open? I am with you on that one!
    chrisg likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Why did Ina refuse to meet a dying child? Odd but there must be details that could make sense.

I guess it's "old" news since it happened WAY back in 2011, but basically she was too busy to cooperate with a "Make A Wish" request of a 6 year old leukemia patient. She rejected the request TWICE. When the fur started to fly, she suddenly found time for him. She got the kick in the butt she deserved when the boy & his family decided they had had enough stress/heartache over it and turned her down.

'Barefoot Contessa's' Offer to Make-a-Wish Kid Backfires - ABC News

As for the lawsuit, the way I understand it, it was only ONE employee who felt that way. If it was as intolerable as it's been made out to be, why aren't more people complaining?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I guess it's "old" news since it happened WAY back in 2011, but basically she was too busy to cooperate with a "Make A Wish" request of a 6 year old leukemia patient. She rejected the request TWICE. When the fur started to fly, she suddenly found time for him. She got the kick in the butt she deserved when the boy & his family decided they had had enough stress/heartache over it and turned her down.

As for the lawsuit, the way I understand it, it was only ONE employee who felt that way. If it was as intolerable as it's been made out to be, why aren't more people complaining?
    That was my thought One? why didn't the FN wait - odd
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Has Oprah said anything about this yet?
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't know, how many people are willing to go up against someone that famous? This doesn't mean that only one employee felt that way; it just means that only one was willing to come forward and have their life turned upside down by a court case against a very famous person. It's not the complaint that was made that has caused all the ruckus, it's the transcript from the deposition. I try to be pretty forgiving, knowing that context can change things, but I have a hard time seeing how some of what PD said can be read another way. Her comment when asked if she called certain men the N-word - no, she didn't call those men that because that's not what they were...the implication being that she'd consider other men that word - was particularly offensive and just showed how out of touch she is. I keep waiting for the "I have black friends" defense.

I was reading comments on another site and one person said something to the effect of "Well, who over the age of 40 hasn't ever used that word?" Um, ME.
    ness, chrisg, mushybrain and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread