+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4589Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I found Melissa Etheridge's comments bothersome, too. I don't think anyone should try to qualify what her words were......they were what they were. I didn't understand them, though. I remember my ex- telling me, once, in a strangely smart and insightful moment....."don't try to say what you think I said......respond to what I did say."

If breast cancer can do the same thing as ovarian cancer, one can still develop ovarian cancer even after they've had surgery to remove the dangerous organs. Somehow, it just doesn't seem fair, but the possibility exists. I wish women would just support other women who do what they think they need to do.

I'm afraid I think a little less of Melissa Etheridge today.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

The reason that I don't think that "try to say what I DID say not what you THINK I said" doesn't really apply to Melissa Etheridge's comments was that them came from a print interview. We don't have the benefit of hearing everything that she said - we only know what the reporter decided to include in the article. When I see quotes from print articles, knowing comments can be printed out of context, I try to apply some reason based on the interview subjects past behavior. Melissa Ehteridge has a long track record of championing women, epecially women fighting cancer. I think that needs to be taken into consideration when looking at what she said, and how it COULD have translated from the interview into print.

Then, maybe she needs to speak up and clarify.....because I previously viewed her the way you do.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Sometimes people need to just keep their mouths shut & not say anything at all, when someone's feelings could be hurt by their words.
    I'm not going to try interpret Melissa's statement either way. No one knows what she meant but her. But she shouldn't be making statements that could be interpreted as critical.
    My Mom used to say: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." What we say is interpreted by other people. So sometimes people should keep their mouths shut on personal sensitive issues.

The fact is that Angelina's decision wasn't an easy one for her to make. It's not like having a tooth pulled out. It had to be gutwrenching for her. She made a decision based on what she truly believed was right for her & her family. It wasn't a knee jerk reaction done in haste.

Nobody should make a judgement on this decision. The only reason it's anyone's business except Angelina's is that she is so much of a public figure that it would have gotten out. So she chose to head off the gossip by publicly admitting it & explaining why.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Angelina made the decision she thought best for her as did Melissa. Melissa should realize that in the end as long as one is healthy that is what counts.

When I first read her statement, I kind of got a feeling of Melissa implying that it would have been much braver for Angelina to get cancer in the first place. Almost like blaming her for taking the "easy way out" (which it isn't) compared to actually having cancer.
    prhoshay, Shoepie and Debb70 like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I searched out the original quote from the original interview. Her argument is that she believes in spite of having the gene, the health decisions a person makes have an impact, so she would not have had the surgery. I don't necessarily agree with the notion that if a person eats healthy and lives a healthy lifestyle he/she can prevent cancer, but it's evident from the quote that Melissa Etheridge believes that. The quote is: "BLADE: As a breast cancer survivor yourself, what did you think of Angelina Jolie’s announcement?

ETHERIDGE: I have to say I feel a little differently. I have that gene mutation too and it’s not something I would believe in for myself. I wouldn’t call it the brave choice. I actually think it’s the most fearful choice you can make when confronting anything with cancer. My belief is that cancer comes from inside you and so much of it has to do with the environment of your body. It’s the stress that will turn that gene on or not. Plenty of people have the gene mutation and everything but it never comes to cancer so I would say to anybody faced with that, that choice is way down the line on the spectrum of what you can do and to really consider the advancements we’ve made in things like nutrition and stress levels. I’ve been cancer free for nine years now and looking back, I completely understand why I got cancer. There was so much acidity in everything. I really encourage people to go a lot longer and further before coming to that conclusion." Reading that, it seems clear to me that she's arguing that people are not defenseless to cancer, and wants people to feel enpowered to do something more than give in to it. Searching for the original interview, I also came across this quote from Etheridge: "In a follow-up statement, released Tuesday to ET Online, Etheridge said, "I don't have any opinion of what she 'should have' done. All are free to choose. I only objected to the term 'brave' describing it." From those two quotes, it sounds to me like she's definitely NOT saying Angelina should not have done what she did ... just that SHE would not have done it.

She is definitely being judgmental about Jolie. She could stand to keep her jack-assed opinions to herself. She sounds rude and out of order. Stupid.

FORT Fogey

If she had released a statement unprovoked, I could see describing it as not being able to keep her opinions to herself. Instead, she was doing an interview to promote her music. At the end of the interview, the interviewer asked her one question about what she thought of Angelina. It made sense to ask the question, since she's been such a vocal supporter of breast cancer causes and concerns. She answered the question honestly. I think it would have been disingenuous of her to avoid the question, since she has been so vocal in the past. She stated her opinion in a way she hoped would help other people by doing their own research, and making smart health choices. I can understand people saying they disagree with her opinion - I do. I don't understand people attacking her for expressing an opinion. I think it's sad that we live in a world where people are attacked for being honest.

I have NO problem with you defending her. I, too, am/was being honest.

I can't believe that Kim and Stoopid named their baby girl "North". I'm betting that Dr. Donda is spinning like an auger in her grave!
    ness and libgirl2 like this.

+ Reply to Thread