+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4589Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I think that speaks to the fact that it's about more than just money. We don't have any idea what she has gone through during her upbringing.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I guess its harder to comprehend because of her fame and fortune... we can understand why some people have no where to go etc.... but when you have so much, its harder to comprehend.

I'm sorry you had it bad Fanny.
    It is a psycological problem having nothing to do with the means to escape. Many who are poor can easily lean on the financial aspect and that is certainly real but would they go if they could afford it? Probably not.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Please do not assume that a person in a lower socio-economic level would be more likely to stay and be mistreated.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Lucy Lieu was on Wendy this morning and had never heard of the Kardashians until last year and still was confused about their fame. How wonderful! I have never seen an episode but know as much about them as someone who does. AND I FF through the sement whenever I can! I envy her, in a way.

That said, she is missing so much by not watching reality TV!! She has a life that is foreign to me. Not saying I want it. The money is good though.

I read on radar yesterday that Kim was induced by her doctor early. It was medical reasons of course.......right.

What's wrong with Melissa Etheridge? Why would you try to distract from a woman who has gone through such an ordeal. Why is so wrong wrong to call Angelina brave for her choice to have surgery? I don't get what Melissa thought she would accomplish by making this statement.

Melissa Etheridge Stands by Her 'Fearful' Jolie Comments - ABC News
    Last edited by Debb70; 06-19-2013 at 11:39 AM.

I always liked Etheridge, but her comments are idiotic. And untrue.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I think Etheridge is entitled to say what she wants. I don't know if she was asked what she thought, but why lie.
    mom2 and Florimel like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I must have played her album Melissa Etheridge with Like The Way I Do a million times. I LOVED that album.

Maybe she's losing it. Mental illness can cause people to act out in odd ways. Just speculating.

FORT Fogey

I may be wrong, but I don't think Melissa Etheridge meant the comment to be an insult to Angelina Jolie. I don't think she was intending brave to be a positive attribute, and fearful to be a negative attribute. Instead, I think she intended what she said to put the focus on what a horrible and ravaging thing cancer is. By talking about fear, her focus wasn't "Angelina was chicken! She was scared to take on a disease that I beat, and went the easy way out" but rather to illustrate that the disease is so damaging and so horrible that people are willing to go to terrible extremes to avoid it. In many ways, to put all the focus on being brave creates a false impression that with enough money and resources, there is an easy way to avoid cancer. There have been articles about how women with less resources than Angelia can't avoid cancer like he did - so it's not an outlandish false impression. My impression of Melissa's comments was that she was trying to put the focus back on what a horrible disease it is.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Please do not assume that a person in a lower socio-economic level would be more likely to stay and be mistreated.
    I would never assume that. Its more of a case of feeling one has nowhere to go. I had a bad marriage, I wasn't abused physically, but I was treated horribly, I felt if I divorced him, I would have nowhere to go. No job (I was only working part time), I would lose my home... where would I live? That is more of what I meant, fear of how I was going to live. And yes, for others it might be a host of other reasons.

My friend's husband has a friend whose wife cheated on him for years, that is abuse to me... He stayed with her for the kids. The kids knew what she was doing, she would go out on her dates, not hiding it at all. He had enough money, he could have left her. She finally left him after nearly 10 years of living this way.

My cousin was also physically abused by her late husband. He hit her in the hospital following the birth of her first child. She stayed with him until he died from an overdose at a fairly young age. They weren't wealthy, but she had a large family who would take her in and help her. Was it fear? Maybe, though in her case he was the great "love" of her life, who was already showing violent tendancies when they were dating.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 06-19-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread