+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4624Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I can't understand bashing someone for making a health choice that they feel is necessary. Good for her. I wish her well.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's worth noting that Christina Applegate had the same surgery to prevent breast cancer. She also carries the gene and her mother had breast cancer at least once.

I've read comments on-line from people bashing Angelina for going through with the procedure, which I find totally ridiculous. As one commenter pointed out, if you knew that a plane you were about to fly on had an 87% chance of crashing, you wouldn't take that flight. I admire her for doing a brave thing so she can be around longer for her children. From all accounts, she was devastated when her mother died of cancer and she wants to spare her children that pain.
    I haven't seen anything negative on line, only positive at how brave a decision this was. I understand her wanting to be there for her children, some people are very cruel. I had forgotten Christina Applegate had this done
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

There were some negative comments in a story on, I think TMZ or maybe on ew.com or TVLine. Can't remember which. People were accusing her of trying to gain publicity and criticizing her for the decision. I was pretty shocked. Just more stupid internet trolls.

ETA: Yep, it was in comments in an ew.com story last night.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Blah! they need to get a life. There was a poll on one site and over 90% knew someone that had breast cancer. The numbers are staggering ,so, I say good for her to do this - I am glad Brad was with her all the way
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    Critical - I was just coming here to post about that. I know many people are not fans of hers, but I think it is amazing and brave that she did this. It's pretty well known how affected she was by her mother's death and I think this is her way of trying to not put her kids through the same thing. I like seeing a "mega star" who puts their family ahead of their career. I also think that this can be positive reinforcement/validation for those who have had or will have to have mastectomies. This quote is awesome
    This is probably a stupid question, but I honestly don't know - as I understand it, her mother died from ovarian cancer. I get that she had an 87% chance of breast cancer and a 50% chance of having ovarian cancer because of the gene. Does this preventative surgery somehow lessen her chances of getting ovarian cancer too? I know she said in the article that her chances are now less than 5% - but is that just breast cancer or both? And if both, how come?

FORT Fogey

I don't believe that this surgery would do anything to really impact her risk of ovarian cancer. I believe the only thing that would prevent that would be removing her ovaries - but that would come with the side effect of severely effecting hormone levels. The tricky thing with ovarian cancer is that it is so difficult to detect because the symptoms are pretty minimal until the cancer really grows. I am at some degree of risk for it. My doctors have done a few things through medication to help prevent it, and also prescribe regular ultra sounds to ensure that they don't see any changes. Angelina may be doing things like that in order to retain the medical benefits of the hormone balance.

Kara, a former American Idol judge, was on tv recently and talked about her decision to have a complete hysterectomy due to her risks of cancer. I think she's in her 30's. She just had her first baby by surrogate, I think.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My mother died of ovarian cancer. My ovaries were removed in 2000, but I had a total hysterectomy due to uterine fibroids that caused super-excessive bleeding, leading to a transfusion. My ovaries were taken due to my family history, but that does not assure that I will not develop ovarian cancer, but it lessens my chance. Couldn't do hormone replacement due to blood clot history. I'm pretty sure Angelina will have or has had her ovaries removed, too. It is a self-image shock, to say the least...and that is even without having any mastectomies.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

As women, we really can and DO go through it.

My hat is off to Angelina, and to all the women who have been personally touched by the specter of cancer --- in whatever form it takes --- and had to make incredible choices for their sakes, and the sake of their loved ones, as well.

I absolutely cannot wrap my mind around the concept that she --- or any other woman --- would be bashed for making such a decision for themselves.

But, this is the real world, and I know lunacy like that happens.

Kudos to Brad Pitt, as well, for standing by and shepherding her through this. It would have been all too easy for him to have headed for the exit.

And he chose not to.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I don't believe that this surgery would do anything to really impact her risk of ovarian cancer. I believe the only thing that would prevent that would be removing her ovaries - but that would come with the side effect of severely effecting hormone levels. The tricky thing with ovarian cancer is that it is so difficult to detect because the symptoms are pretty minimal until the cancer really grows. I am at some degree of risk for it. My doctors have done a few things through medication to help prevent it, and also prescribe regular ultra sounds to ensure that they don't see any changes. Angelina may be doing things like that in order to retain the medical benefits of the hormone balance.
    Research shows a link between ovarian and breast cancers.

If you have had breast cancer, you may also have an increased risk of developing ovarian cancer. There are several reasons for this. Some of the reproductive risk factors for ovarian cancer may also affect breast cancer risk. The risk of ovarian cancer after breast cancer is highest in those women with a family history of breast cancer. A strong family history of breast cancer may be caused by an inherited mutation in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes. These mutations can also cause ovarian cancer.
    What are the risk factors for ovarian cancer?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread