+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 327273747576777879808182838485868788899091921321825821082 ... LastLast
Like Tree4958Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I'm watching The Soup (aka Talk Soup) on E!, and Joel McHale just made a comment about Lindsey Lohan's rehab stint that I thought was funny, and wanted to share it. He was commenting on Lindsey's recent defense of herself to people who criticize her coming and going so often from what is supposed to be a rehab stay for her. Her defense (pardon me while I ) was that it isn't true she's always leaving to go pamper herself, because she has massage therapists and manicurists come there to her at the rehab center, and it isn't as easy as people think it is.

Joel McHale to Lindsey regarding what she said: "There's something wrong in how you're doing it when your rock bottom is what most people aspire to."

I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

What a great line! Thanks for the funny.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

...because she has massage therapists and manicurists come there to her at the rehab center, and it isn't as easy as people think it is.
    Oh, yeah. What a tough life you lead, Lindsey. You spoiled brat.

I love that quote, Nemeses.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Singer-actress Barbara McNair dies at 72

By Dan Whitcomb 46 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Singer and actress Barbara McNair, who starred opposite Elvis Presley and Sidney Poitier and became one of the first black women to host her own television variety show, has died at 72, her husband said on Monday.

McNair died on Sunday after a long battle with throat cancer, husband Charles Blecka told Reuters. McNair, who started singing in church as a girl, was still performing as recently as late last year.

"She was the strongest person I knew," Blecka said. "She was powerful in a strong way. If she set her sights to do something, she did it and did it in a dignified way."

McNair broke into show business as a nightclub singer and had nearly a two-decade recording career but she parlayed her early fame into a series of TV appearances and ultimately became better known as an actress.

After making her feature film debut in the 1968 crime drama "If He Hollers Let Him Go," she went on to star along with
    Mary Tyler Moore and Jane Elliott opposite Presley in his last movie, 1969's "Change of Habit." McNair, Moore and Elliott all played nuns and Presley portrayed a doctor.

McNair may have been best known in movies for her role as Poitier's wife in the 1970 classic "They Call Me Mister Tibbs!" and its 1971 sequel "The Organization."

She hosted a syndicated musical variety series, "The Barbara McNair Show" in 1969 when few black women were given such opportunities. Entertainers who appeared on the show during its brief run included
    Tony Bennett, Sonny and Cher and Bob Hope.

"A lot of people think celebrity comes with a burden," said Blecka, who also served as McNair's manager. "Barbara never did. Along with her inner strength she had this ability to just accept everybody, in all walks of life. Ask anybody in the business, she was one of the most wonderful people you'd ever want to come across."

McNair also appeared on Broadway in productions of "The Body Beautiful," "No Strings" and "The Pajama Game."

Acting roles dwindled for McNair in the 1970s and '80s but she continued to sing at nightclubs and cabarets and made occasional TV appearances on shows such as "The Jeffersons" and the "Redd Foxx Show."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070206/...9mBHNlYwMxNjk3
    I remember her show on TV. She was a gorgeous woman and a good actress.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Link Here

Jason Priestley, Wife Naomi Are Expecting
    MONDAY FEBRUARY 05, 2007 01:35 PM EST
    By Stephen M. Silverman and Julie Jordan

Former Beverly Hills, 90210 star Jason Priestley and his wife, Naomi Lowde, are expecting their first child this summer, his rep confirms to PEOPLE.

The pregnancy was first announced by syndicated gossip columnist Liz Smith.

The couple wed in May 2005 on Paradise Island in the Bahamas before 120 guests, including Priestley's former 90210 costars Jennie Garth, Ian Ziering, Tiffani Thiessen and Tori Spelling.

Priestley, 37, and Lowde, a 31-year-old makeup artist, met in London and became engaged in May 2004.

Before getting married, the couple had been together for four years and had been through a lot together: Lowde helped Priestley recover from a near-fatal race car accident that took place in August 2002, in which the actor crashed head-on into a wall at the Kentucky Speedway.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Whoopi's Roots

BISSAU, Guinea-Bissau (AP) - When the government of one of the world's poorest nations learned that Whoopi Goldberg had taken a DNA test showing her ancestors hail from here, the news reverberated through the halls of parliament.

It was, the country's leaders decided, a chance to change the image of this West African nation plagued by coups since wresting independence from Portugal in 1973. If the world could only grasp that a Hollywood celebrity traced her roots to this forsaken corner of the globe, it could bring goodwill from afar - even fame for Guinea-Bissau, they reasoned.

So they decided to write a letter on official stationery embossed with the country's star-shaped seal. It was hand-delivered to the U.S. Embassy, which passed it on to the State Department in Washington with instructions for delivery to the Oscar-winning actress.

It begins, with some uncertainty on the star's name: "Your Excellency Hoppy Goldberg, it is with great euphoria that the government of Guinea-Bissau ... learned of your ancestral origins. ... The news has awoken in each and every one of us a deep sense of fraternity. ... We simply cannot remain indifferent to the news of your Guinean heritage."

The two pages peppered with elaborate expressions of praise and respect end with a simple request: Please come visit our country.

For a special for the Public Broadcasting Service that aired last year, prominent black Americans agreed to take a DNA test. Oprah Winfrey discovered her roots in the rainforests of Liberia with the Kpelle tribe and Bishop T.D. Jakes, the Dallas megachurch pastor, found his in Nigeria's Ebo people.

Goldberg learned that her genetic makeup is overwhelmingly Papel and Bayote, tribes indigenous to this country on Africa's western seaboard.

"She will come. She's Guinean. She's our daughter. She's ours," said Minister of Tourism Francisco Conduto de Pina.

There are few nations that are poorer than Guinea-Bissau, a country of 1.3 million people roughly the size of Maryland. In the capital, there are so few hospital beds that women in labor share mattresses in cramped maternity wards. Water is in chronically short supply, so much so that the fire department does not have enough pressure in its hoses to fight blazes.

Restaurants routinely run out of food. Civil servants go months without a paycheck. Entire neighborhoods in the capital have not had electricity for six months.

It's not hard to see how Goldberg's fame and her unexpected blood ties to Guinea-Bissau could seem like an unparalleled opportunity.

But in an e-mail to The Associated Press, the actress' publicist, Brad Cafarelli, wrote that Goldberg never received the letter. In what might come as a surprise to fans who know her from the TV series, "Star Trek: The Next Generation," Cafarelli also said a trip overseas is out of the question because Goldberg does not fly.

"Regardless," he wrote, "due to the fact that she hosts a live daily radio show from New York and does not fly, it would not be possible for her to travel to West Africa in the foreseeable future."

In Guinea-Bissau, however, the politicians who conceived the letter think the 51-year-old Goldberg is simply taking her time to reply.

"We're waiting for her with much anticipation," said Prime Minister Aristides Gomes, sitting in his leather-clad office, an oasis of comfort in the crumbling capital.

Gomes said he's a fan of "The Color Purple," the critically acclaimed film that secured Goldberg's spot in Hollywood. But he admits few of his countrymen have seen the movie - or any others featuring the actress.

There are only two television channels in Guinea-Bissau and both broadcast in Portuguese. After the government learned of Goldberg's ancestry, national TV began showing her movies with Portuguese subtitles. "Sister Act" and "Sister Act II" were instant hits in the capital, but in much of the country's brush-covered interior, access to TV is rare.

Her movies never reached the grass-covered huts of Ome, a village 30 miles from Bissau in the country's Papel region, whose people share her DNA.

"I have no idea who that is," said Tiro Ca, 50, carrying a baby on her back as she studied a headshot of the actress.

But as villagers gathered to look at the photograph, a consensus emerged. "This woman must be Papel," said Iye Faustino, 28, pointing to the actress' distinctive cheekbones, not unlike that of the women crowding around the grainy image. The shape of her mouth and her nose, he added, is similar to theirs.

In the PBS special, the actress said upon learning of her exact origins: "Who would I see when I went back, if I was able to go back to the village? Would I recognize anybody? Would they look like my mom?"

Likely she would find people who look not unlike her.

"She's pretty," said Faustino, before handing the picture back. "If she comes here, we will be very happy to see her."
    http://www.katu.com/news/entertainment/5624496.html
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

As of a week ago, James Brown (died on Christmas Day) had still not been buried, but he has been embalmed. For weeks the casket sat in his locked up house.

Judge: James Brown's Partner Can Get Things From Home

Friday , February 09, 2007

AP

AIKEN, S.C. —
    The woman who claims to be James Brown's fourth wife planned to return to the home she shared with the singer, after a judge ruled Friday that she could retrieve her belongings.

Tomi Rae Hynie says she has been locked out of the Beech Island home since Brown died Christmas Day at age 73. She was to go into the home Friday afternoon with the estate's trustees.

"I'm happy to be getting my things and my son's things," Hynie said after the hearing.

Judge Doyet Early said Hynie also could take pictures and videotape of the inside of the house if she wanted. If there is any dispute between Hynie and trustees about whether something belongs to her, that item will be set aside until its ownership can be clarified later, Early said.

Hynie, who wore a wedding band to Friday's hearing, says she and Brown were married, which is disputed by Brown's attorneys. The judge offered to hear arguments on that issue Friday, but Hynie's attorney said he would present that case another day.

Hynie and the singer's six adult children were in court in an attempt to remove three trustees who are handling the late singer's estate. They claim the estate has been mismanaged. Although their relationship has been strained in recent weeks, the children and Hynie appeared united in efforts to have the trustees removed.

Hynie hugged Brown's oldest daughter, Venisha Brown, after the hearing.

Attorneys for the trustees said they plan a countersuit. An attorney handling Brown's will, Strom Thurmond Jr., asked the Aiken County judge for a restraining order against the children, saying they have interfered with the administration of the estate.

The judge said he would decide next week on the children's request either to remove the trustees or appoint a special administrator for the estate.

"We think we need a special administrator," said Hynie's attorney Robert Rosen. "There is so much at stake in this case."

The singer's embalmed body remains at an undisclosed location, in the same sealed, gold casket seen at his funeral, awaiting a decision on where to bury it, officials at the funeral home that handled Brown's funeral confirmed Friday.

The judge told the children, Hynie and the trustees to not discuss burial plans with the media and to try to resolve that issue among themselves.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251089,00.html

I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

With all that's going on with Anna Nicole-gate and Britney Spears going insane, its no surprise we missed this little gem a few days back:

http://www.people.com/people/article...011728,00.html
    Beyoncé: SI's Swimsuit Covergirl

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 14, 2007 08:40 AM EST

Beyoncé Knowles isn't shy when it comes to performing – but she had to muster up her courage to pose for the cover of this year's Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.

"It takes a lot of guts. I'm really a shy person," the singer tells the magazine. "But in my everyday world, as a musical performer, I'm playing a character. I had to tap that same character."

Making the SI cover for the annual top-selling issue propels the singer into an elite class of model whose ranks include Christie Brinkley, Elle Macpherson, Rachel Hunter, Heidi Klum and Tyra Banks.

See Beyoncé's Photos

* Beyoncé Bares Her Bikini Body

"It's fascinating how many careers it's made, or how many have been made of it," says Beyoncé of the swimsuit issue. "They're always so beautiful."

Though the 25-year-old singer has been asked to pose in a swimsuit before, her mother says she wanted to wait for the right time. "At every shoot," Tina Knowles says of her much-photographed daughter, "they always bring some swimsuits and ask, 'Can we shoot in this?' It's always been 'No! When it's time to do swimsuits, it's going to be something big."

It doesn't get bigger than the coveted cover of SI.

To physically prepare for the shoot, the "Bootylicious" singer says she had to watch what she ate – which was especially tough because it was scheduled right after Thanksgiving. "At dinner, I kept thinking: this extra piece of pie will show up," she says. "I always make sure I celebrate it up, but I was so terrified with every little thing I ate this year."

Before the photo session, the singer relaxed by listening to some of her favorite music. "I listened to John Legend's new album. It's soothing, sexy and old school. It got me in the mood."

And once it got started, Beyoncé had a little help from her friends – and most of her family. "Kelly Rowland (of Destiny's Child) showed up. My mom was there; my nephew," she says. "Dad was going to come, but he said, 'Well, I'll, um, meet you in Orlando after the shoot. I'm not so sure that I want to see this. All my blessings; you're a big girl. But I'm not so sure I want to see it.' "

But dad had nothing to worry about. Beyoncé says she's proud of the pictures. "These are photos I can show my kids some day," she says, "so I can say, 'See, momma was beautiful. Look how good I looked!' "

To see all the Beyoncé pics and more, go to SI.com
    I'm not sure, but I think this may be the first time SI has ever handed this "honor" over to someone who's a total amateur at modeling.

Here are the photos, btw, uploaded to a suitably non-bandwidth swiping public image server...

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Different subject for a moment: Angelina Jolie.
    In today's PARADE magazine someone had written in and asked if her "Earth Mother Humanitarian" is an act or real considering her past.

The answer was it is for real. Except her image suffered a setback at the Golden Globes because of her "haughty behavior." My question is "what did she do at the GGs?"

+ Reply to Thread